The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds Accommodation 2012 Thread

Scroll to see replies

anna-christine
yeah, hopefully it'll be fab!
I play oboe and nothing else...can't sing, play the piano or guitar like most musicians can!

History of art sounds like it should be interesting, is it like anylising the work of michal angelo or davinchi?

Well i tried playing guitar but failed misrably lol so oboe is pretty impressive!

Pretty much anylising art and looking at other academics work etc and hopefully a lot broader than just angelo and davinchi lol more interested in contemporary stuff but that might change once i'v studied it!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Clarification:

The area and IQ are fine. All inclusive and very nice rooms.

Headingley is lovely and the same price as everywhere else, it's 'home' to most students hence the reasoning for it being the "place to be" or whatever. It's not a substitute to the city obviously as it's a few streets and one main road?
Hi! I went to the accommodation day yesterday and really liked Oxley...to be honest I don't really have any major preferences regarding catered/ non catered but I wouldn't mind an en-suite. I really liked the rooms in the old building at oxley, that's really where i'd like to stay, despite them not having en-suites (?) can anyone tell me a bit about that if they live there/know about it?

either way, I'm really excited about hopefully coming to Leeds :smile:
Does anybody know if you get lots of noise in the Tannery from the fire station being next door?
hattilongsoks
Hi Moonbeam, thanks for the info. I think Lupton is £79 this year but could be something to do with this gym membership thing.

I thought IQ wasn't in a good area? And are there not added bills into the price like internet and stuff? Cos i always look at these 'amazing' places and think they sound good until i read about extra costs and stuff and suddenly its like 90/100 quid :frown:

I'm still set on lupton tho cos of the grass and yeah i still like the sound of headingly even if it has over priced bars. I'm sure they'll do student discounts, nice for one drink or sumat.

I lived in Broomhill for a while in Sheffield and that had some nice pubs and a couple of over priced bars but i loved the area, hoping headingly will be similar.

Its probably just inflation and general rise of pricing, it rarely stays the same. But this Gym thing is limited it is the Edge "club", which is £160 annual or £17.50 a month. It is the cheapest membership plan and simply means you can only use the gym or pool between 6:30am and 12noon and then 2pm-4pm and not allowed to use it during weekends. However all racket sports hiring is included in this, providing you have your own equipment. Im not sure how it will work out if you want to upgrade they probably have not considered this yet. Also its great giving this to those staying in Uni accom but not so great if your living at Lupton where you would have to travel to use the facilities for some duration, as its no short walk like all the city accom is to the Uni.

Student discounts dont really exist lol, they do drink offer nights that students will go to in mass and thus the general public do not bother, but thats just expected of any pubs in the modern world who do "curry and pint night" etc...

The headingly taps is the most reasonable priced place for a pint very simple. If thats what you want fair enough, aslong as you make informed decisions, im just saying Headingly is too far out for me its walkable but not practical for walking daily its a long walk with lots of crossing traffic clogged roads and some nasty inclines, so look into the added extra of a bus pass. Which is £96 atm but this is the shorter 3rd final term I think its usually £120 for term 1 and then £120 for term 2 again. They dont offer an annual pass you cant get one over the summer it ends in June.

IQ is not in the perfect area no, but its better to be closer to the Uni and City in my opinion than to be out of it. But you have the city and Uni enviroment on your doorstep that for me is far more exciting than Headingly could ever hope to be, the music scene is in the city and the clubs, so the Headingly effect of going out for a drink with your mates wont satisfy for long, before you long for the city experience. You find you miss out on so much of the real freshers activites in the city, by getting sucked into pretty bodged Headingly bars trying to capitalize on the new students, who dont know whats going on, where as if you are in the city you are more inclined to end up going to the best freshers events by chance instead of just ending up at local bars in Headingly, with Union and City proper club freshers spectacular events you really cant afford to miss.

Headingly is more so dominated by Leeds Met students as another point due to its proximity to the Leeds Met 2nd campus, its a fair 35min walk to Uni best avoided during rain etc. Obviously these are my personal opinions and experiences, but I cant see the logic in sharing a bathroom or having your own for almost the same price with a lush kitchen and double leather sofa shared lounge area between 4-6 people, I guess I think practically and aesthetically at the same time. I may be staying for the summer for something like £45 a week in a studio over the summer also but sshhhh lol. Im going for a viewing of a real lived in property there so I can update anyone interested, not the show flats that everyone else gets shown, its always key you try to see a real random room you choose, so you cant be decieved.

I believe if you act quickly you may be able to get its reduced offer price, do remember IQ is only a year old and had a 1/2 full set of students some rooms brand new still. In terms of luxury and kitchen quality it will always beat Uni accom as its privately owned and run. You are closer to Hyde Park if you want grass at IQ, not sure the grass you recall in Headingly unless your meaning there is a tiny bit of grass inside the Lupton compound.

I will be honest I have opposed IQ but have weighed it up with the other private accomodations as impartially as I can in the past, but its really slashed its prices now making it the cheap persons chance to get nice private accomodation, which does when you see it in the flesh pull itself away from the Uni Accoms cheaper options leaps and bounds in term of decor and appliances. There are no extra fees at IQ you would not have at Lupton, Internet and Bills included, Internet is of better quality in a newer building of a higher speed. It was just a suggestion you may or may not have been aware of thats all, lots of students get sucked up into the Uni Accom tours, there are so many places to live not owned by the Uni that are hidden secrets private can be good if you go with a reputable company.
Hey, I went to the accom open day yesterday, I really liked the look of Oxley, can anyone tell me how long a bus would take to get to uni normally? and if people who stay there often go out in the city centre? it does seem a bit far away but I loved that it was green around and had the gym and bar... Also does anyone know if it is oversubscribed at all? And is anyone else thinking of going there? x
vimto2010
I went to the open day and still have no idea where i want to stay.
Because im doing adult nursing they was like ..student nurses only stay at Lupton ...Oxley and the tannery. :confused:
I liked luptons price but its small and looks a little granny flatish. 0_0
So if anyone doing nursing drops by can you tell me where your thinking of staying :]

Nurses dont tend to stay that side of the Uni, they stay city side as its closer to the area where they will be studying with high contact hours.

Check: Tannery, IQ, Concept, CRM Priory, Opal 3, Plaza, Henry Price, Charles Morris. Dont rely just on Uni suggestions do your own research privately.
Moonbeam1991
The only place that is clique and is not full of the ordinary student laid back yet sophisticated sorts is everywhere apart from Dev lol :biggrin:

Ludwig has a total point as to why Dev is the way it is. The building is nice but cannot be appreciated since its full of raving right wing mummas and daddas are rich or important students, or wannabe rich and importants students. Its a very immature bitchy infighting place just like any young Tory group is.

Wait until you meet the Leeds CF (Conservative Future), they all went for the cabinet positions and fell out over it jeeze its just the CF, its not a career. They had 100+ active members by October, there is only 12 active now after all the power playing ambitious backstabbing bitching. Lot of them live at Dev too, got sucked into this Cameron young and energetic BS, all changing Lib Dem now anyway the ones that can stomach they were wrong at least.

Charles Morris will be brand new it has not got the reputation drawing Tories in with its old traditions ZzzzzzZZz and tbh Dev kids are not rich they try make out they are, most of the better off students are actually your everyday joe just wearing a few labels who like to go out and club and party a lot. You would not really notice they came from rich families they just want a better enhanced living quality. These sorts atm live at Concept Place but that is due to change potentially next year.

Dev is the failed Cambridge Oxford kids pretty much, picked Leeds as it had a few old buildings and some resembelence in architecture to the grand old elite Unis, so they are very negative about the Uni and bitter about it all. Put it this way if you walk into a room of new freshers and they ask a short bit about you but automatically go onto your grades followed by "What does your mummy and daddy do?" then walk out calmly and run for your life and never mix with them again its social suicide LOL.

Thanks for the info Moonbeam, really helped me. Grateful for you giving your time. Will go for Charles then, hope its not overbooked lol. Although you did say international students get preference so perhaps will be lucky in that area.

Will also take your advice not to mix with those types of people. Cheers mate
cinderella345
Hey, I went to the accom open day yesterday, I really liked the look of Oxley, can anyone tell me how long a bus would take to get to uni normally? and if people who stay there often go out in the city centre? it does seem a bit far away but I loved that it was green around and had the gym and bar... Also does anyone know if it is oversubscribed at all? And is anyone else thinking of going there? x

Well cut like 5mins off Bodington for Oxley, get off at Lawnswood stop. 20-40mins it varies on if someone gets on and off at every stop, when you want to go to Uni it be more like 30 as traffic is crazily bad from 7-12. But its hit and miss. Its been known to take 40 every so often when its really bad and there are roadworks.

People do go out in the city as there is a late Boddington 95 bus runs until the clubs kick out, but its that extra effort better to be walking distance or short affordable taxis.

Sorry dont know much about anything else regarding Oxley, would not worry about it having a Gym you could live closer and use the proper brand new campus gym. Nothing in the area is a pain to go shopping if you live at Oxley as nice as it may be location should be a priority of any student to allow a smooth run year. I mean your further out than all the Leeds Met chaps who only have to go to Far Headingly for their campus. There are green areas in the city. You have to cost in £120 per term bus passes. Its not walkable it would take to long and tire you physically. Prepare to be late to seminars and lectures for your first term its common for Boddington and Oxley to be late and is an acceptable excuse for being late so you wont get into trouble, people just laugh about it.
You are being really helpful and making me think a bit more Moonbeam, but I really wanna know why you seem to hate Headingly/Uni accom so much?

Didi you live in Headingly/have mates there?

I have a mate who lives there now and loves it, says there are some great pubs,bars, house parties and the walk isn't too bad etc.

Also you're saying the music scene
Moonbeam1991
the music scene is in the city and the clubs
which I agree most of it will be and only a short bus/taxi ride away for me if i choose Lupton. But I'd say I'm a short walking distance to Brunnell Social Club which I'v loved and want to be near and the Headingly Picture House. I agree I could probs walk it from IQ too.
Also I don't see how if i live in Lupton I'll suddenly think 'Oh i know i wont go out to the amazing city clubs and stuff ill just go to the pub with my mates cos it's too far' of course Im gonna get involved and go to the union and city nights! Like all the other headingly freshers will!

I'm gonna have a look into IQ now, can you tell me how many students live there roughly? And guesstimate how full it'll be? I want to meet lots of people idealy and not be confined to my flat. And about living with Met students in headingly i'm not bothered and with IQ being private surely i could end up in a falt with Met students?
Also what's around it? Shops? supermarkets?

Also what other private accom is there to look at?

sorry for all the questions but you seem to know the score :smile: and i hope this doesn't sound arse-y i just want to know more

p.s. Thanks for the gym info, sounds great at first but actually isnt that great :/

p.p.s if you check out the map on their page there's nothing around IQ all the markers for pubs, and clubs, bands, ATMS, shopping are in Headingly. IQ isn't exactly city based either and whether I decided to live in Headingly or IQ I'd have to get a taxi into town cos a) it's not super close to town and b) it's not in a great area (or so i keep hearing) so i definitely couldnt walk
Reply 230
Im thinking of firming Leeds for Sept, Ive been looking online at different accomodations and I cant make up my mind!
Ive been looking at some non uni accomodation as well, when do you think I should really go about securing somewhere? How quickly do places go?
Roman4life
Thanks for the info Moonbeam, really helped me. Grateful for you giving your time. Will go for Charles then, hope its not overbooked lol. Although you did say international students get preference so perhaps will be lucky in that area.

Will also take your advice not to mix with those types of people. Cheers mate

Oh dont not mix with them they are great fun at a distance, just dont get involved with there BS and there bitching lol, sometimes to sit back and watch them bitch after someone they was just rubbing up to walks off is utter hilarious. Living with them would drive me crazy one day a week over lunch is enough for me LOL, as we sit and talk politics.

Dont get me wrong I hang out once a week with some for the bumbling fun of it lol.

Just be aware they exist and likely are bitching about you behind your back if you go into distant friendships with them knowing the facts they are a ok to have a chat with, especially hearing there views on politics lol. A view from a person I hang with who is not my friend more like a colleague of political sciences, for the fun of the BS that they come out with like: "Why dont we just shut down state schools, if you cant afford public school or willing to part with the money, then surely you should be being taught how to run a factory line or plumb a house." LOL! You will find a lot of them will agree with this and think nothing of it, when it is totally out of reality a warped view that is just damn right offensive. No one gets offended just shrugs it off and goes "Tweedy Toffs" and goes off laughing at them.

They do say things like that and dont think its offense just a fair view to hold, lol!
betty2505
Im thinking of firming Leeds for Sept, Ive been looking online at different accomodations and I cant make up my mind!
Ive been looking at some non uni accomodation as well, when do you think I should really go about securing somewhere? How quickly do places go?

Over the next week, its getting late but you could leave it until last days in August and snap up somewhere more beds in Leeds than students you see, would not advise it though. Uni Accom will fill up but Private Accom sometimes has a few left, but popular ones fill up quick. So asap is best but dont rush it and make a uninformed decision, just research heavily. I have wrote lots of stuff about accom on lots of threads within Uni of Leeds. Perhaps I shall write a guide next year fully comprehensive so I dont have to repeat myself lol.
hattilongsoks
You are being really helpful and making me think a bit more Moonbeam, but I really wanna know why you seem to hate Headingly/Uni accom so much?

Didi you live in Headingly/have mates there?

I have a mate who lives there now and loves it, says there are some great pubs,bars, house parties and the walk isn't too bad etc.

Also you're saying the music scene which I agree most of it will be and only a short bus/taxi ride away for me if i choose Lupton. But I'd say I'm a short walking distance to Brunnell Social Club which I'v loved and want to be near and the Headingly Picture House. I agree I could probs walk it from IQ too.
Also I don't see how if i live in Lupton I'll suddenly think 'Oh i know i wont go out to the amazing city clubs and stuff ill just go to the pub with my mates cos it's too far' of course Im gonna get involved and go to the union and city nights! Like all the other headingly freshers will!

I'm gonna have a look into IQ now, can you tell me how many students live there roughly? And guesstimate how full it'll be? I want to meet lots of people idealy and not be confined to my flat. And about living with Met students in headingly i'm not bothered and with IQ being private surely i could end up in a falt with Met students?
Also what's around it? Shops? supermarkets?

Also what other private accom is there to look at?

sorry for all the questions but you seem to know the score :smile: and i hope this doesn't sound arse-y i just want to know more

p.s. Thanks for the gym info, sounds great at first but actually isnt that great :/

p.p.s if you check out the map on their page there's nothing around IQ all the markers for pubs, and clubs, bands, ATMS, shopping are in Headingly. IQ isn't exactly city based either and whether I decided to live in Headingly or IQ I'd have to get a taxi into town cos a) it's not super close to town and b) it's not in a great area (or so i keep hearing) so i definitely couldnt walk

IQ is like 15mins walk into city centre actually maps are decieving. I would not say Headingly is a short taxi its like almost £5er for a taxi from Headingly to city.

I dont hate Headingly I think its really nice, but I just know people who are my friends who just get so fed up of the travel dont come to the city as much, at first you will but it might eat you up in the end and you just CBA to do as much.

It is true my friends in Headingly missed out on some freshers stuff because they just went along to first thing they saw and knew, bit scared to venture out since you dont know your way around at first. So they ended up at the Boxes Night, which is ok but not for freshers week its all in the city for that week.

IQ is better located in sense of things to do short walk to Uni and City this is my point, its £2.70 for a taxi from the nearby Morrissons if your carrying lots of bags in the city. Thats the minimum Amber taxi (cheapest ive found, always trust the metre but not the black and white taxis and those companies without metres) charge for within a mile distances its then 10p per 0.1 mile a quid a mile thereafter.

You could be with Met Students but Leeds Uni I believe is sub letting like 90% of the en suite clusters and anything in the city is dominated by Leeds Uni students as the Leeds Met presence in the city is two small buildings the bulk of their Uni is in Far Headingly.

From experience of Leeds Uni sub letting, Leeds Met chaps didnt bother knowing it would be full of Uni, not that it makes much difference your all students and all united in freshers. Apart from the O2 Academy freshers event where: Uni, Met and Trinity go head to head, its a bitta rilvarly the cheer of the loudest jeering wins the event and gets a half price drink if they show student ID of the winning Uni. Met won last time :frown: they tend to know how to party more and be, consisting of all the pretty sports lads with the diamonded studded ear piercings, so they never really study anyway lol.

You are right though IQ is not that great location when you suddenly compare it to Concept Place, Opal 3, Plaza, Sky Plaza, CRM Priory, broadcasting tower other private competitors closer to the city closer to local amnetities. But its more practical location than anything past Hyde Park Corner, so anything further than Dev up that road (Please dont ask me about Dev Its spread across all threads lol) In short Beautiful building not so beautiful people on the inside.

IQ is bottom of a hill, nearest drink I think is the Union 10mins up a hill away, few council houses. But I mean its a gated community larger than Lupton I think judging the size of the complex compared to Lupton complex. There is a communal area with Sky TV where people have movie nights, sports events, play pool and mix and mingle though you dont get that at Lupton have to crowd into the tiny kitchens on the rickety tables instead of chilling on leather sofas. Im trialing it over the Summer since they doing me such a good deal £45 a week is just wow for a gold studio. I have found the IQ staff I have had contact with are the kindest most honest and most helpful, willing to deviate from rules to try assist you to your personal circumstances and will do a lot to secure your time at IQ.

But for pricing IQ has really outdone the other private competition this year, so it balances those negatives. It is its own large gated community aswell though, there are 2 corner shops nearby though not the best. Im just not a fan of Uni Accom I guess, they are pretty poor kitchens now out of date and very beaten up over the years. But things like that bother me and I really appreciate a well looked after, well designed, well decored place, perhaps things like sharing and things like nice kitchens just are not important to you, its finding what your own personal priorities are, perhaps you dont care for a bigger bed at private accom and you dont use the Net as much so dont care if its a bit slower at Uni Accom.

At IQ you are not hugely far from Headingly it's not to say I dont go to Headingly to meet some friends and enjoy the cities only KFC! From time to time, so its not like you miss out on Headingly just because you dont live there (Yes city centre has no KFC but Headingly does! :O) But then again Sainsburies is pricier than Morrisons so you save money living in the city on your food bill.

I do have I guess what would be a mini guide to private accoms floating around threads, so I mean if you explore a bit of whats said, but its usually focused on the person that has asked and told me of their preferences. Good luck...

Edit: Your mate has probably not lived in the city so does not realize how much more practical it is all round, not to mention has never thought indepth about it. Bars are great but you pay for them, Revs in city is as good as Headingly best places though, so city is not outdone on any front, therefore logic suggests it would always be the better option if you can find it within your price range. The walk is not bad if you dont have a choice, consider this for 2 weeks this year there was snowy ice, walking was truely difficult and damn dangerous, I saw people slide into the road and get hit by vehicles who could not brake abruptly or risk going into an oncoming vehicle. Buses were stopped from running and students were stranded in their residences, staff could not get into places so Sainsburies was undermanned and shutting early. Least I could walk to Uni relatively quickly despite the ice and safely crossing only 2 roads from Concept Place with most of my walk being non vehicle areas. (Through parks and squares etc down cobbled streets) Alls im saying is your mate know no difference, you could say the same for me but I have thought about such things and researched them and experienced them and done a lot of TSR work in line with Accom. But I merely help people consider things they had not when they go into a dreamy frenzy of fantasy about coming to Uni, its all rose tinted glasses at first you see :smile:, its great but you dont see whats wrong with it or Accom until your here for a while because sometimes the downsides are not noticeable or easily overlooked in your excitement, Im here just helping hoping no one falls into the traps lots of students do with their excitement and rose glasses. Im not here to sell you a property what have I to gain from it or act biasly... I guess you could say im bias privately but I have explained why, private are companies who are experience with students nationally and design, build cutting edge accom for students. The Uni is always lagging behind on design, innovation and experience with student accom, it hires small term contractors for cost benefit. These companies often have their own contractor company within its own company or one it always uses thats reliable and expert on student accom. The Uni Accom is only recently catching up now with Charles Morris expected to be just like IQ, Concept so on so fourth etc etc... (those mentioned earlier) but they are charging whacked amounts for it lol, because they can likely fill them since students just do it via the Uni and do not consider the other option of researching and considering private accom, its merely a choice of what is offered in the booklet they send out. Simply because of laziness I guess a few hours research can make things better value for money and quality for you, meaning a smoother year.
Moonbeam1991

But for pricing IQ has really outdone the other private competition this year, so it balances those negatives. It is its own large gated community aswell though, there are 2 corner shops nearby though not the best. Im just not a fan of Uni Accom I guess, they are pretty poor kitchens now out of date and very beaten up over the years. But things like that bother me and I really appreciate a well looked after, well designed, well decored place, perhaps things like sharing and things like nice kitchens just are not important to you, its finding what your own personal priorities are, perhaps you dont care for a bigger bed at private accom and you dont use the Net as much so dont care if its a bit slower at Uni Accom.

a little dig perhaps lol :wink:? Things like 'sharing' are important to me which is why i dont mind sharing a bathroom with my fellow housemates. It's gonna be my first year as a student and I don't really mind the decor or if I have a super kitchen or leather couches or whatever. It's not my home, i wont live there forever therefore it doesnt matter to me.

On the IQ website it also says '£83, 50 weeks, (why cheaper money for more weeks exactly?) Restricted view ensuite room with 4ft bed and shared kitchen/lounge' So what is restricted view exactly? a brick wall?

I lived in sheffield in similar student accomm in Broomhill. A 30 or 35 min walk which didnt seem to bother me or anyone in the massive student village, everyone still went out to the main nights and the union nights and everytime we as a flat went out it was the the city clubs. A fiver for a taxi isnt bad at all! It's what i pay here and between the 5 of us its a quid each which i can spare i think haha!
I shared one shower between 5 and our social space was like you say a rickety kitchen but it was fine and cheap :smile:

And i'v seen your many many posts on devonshire halls. I think rah's will be in more places than just dev too, they'll want to be in james baillie and all the new places with en-suites that rich people can afford. I'm hoping Lupton will have some nice, down to earth, normal people living there and if not they'll be nice people who i can get on with no matter what they do or how much money they have or what their parents do (fingers crossed).

I dunno this whole leather couches, professional flat, en-suite malarky isn't for me, im cheap and cheerful, lupton has a party atmosphere apparently and even with no social space people just sit in the halls to drink and mix, nowt wrong with that.

I do understand what you're saying, great price for lots of facilities and 'nice-ness' i just dont think it's for me but I'll keep looking.

I don't think I'll need the 'good luck' but thanks anyways i'm sure i'll make the right decision in the end.
Moonbeam1991

Edit: Your mate has probably not lived in the city so does not realize how much more practical it is all round, not to mention has never thought indepth about it. Bars are great but you pay for them, Revs in city is as good as Headingly best places though, so city is not outdone on any front, therefore logic suggests it would always be the better option if you can find it within your price range. The walk is not bad if you dont have a choice, consider this for 2 weeks this year there was snowy ice, walking was truely difficult and damn dangerous, I saw people slide into the road and get hit by vehicles who could not brake abruptly or risk going into an oncoming vehicle. Buses were stopped from running and students were stranded in their residences, staff could not get into places so Sainsburies was undermanned and shutting early. Least I could walk to Uni relatively quickly despite the ice and safely crossing only 2 roads from Concept Place with most of my walk being non vehicle areas. (Through parks and squares etc down cobbled streets) Alls im saying is your mate know no difference, you could say the same for me but I have thought about such things and researched them and experienced them and done a lot of TSR work in line with Accom. But I merely help people consider things they had not when they go into a dreamy frenzy of fantasy about coming to Uni, its all rose tinted glasses at first you see :smile:, its great but you dont see whats wrong with it or Accom until your here for a while because sometimes the downsides are not noticeable or easily overlooked in your excitement, Im here just helping hoping no one falls into the traps lots of students do with their excitement and rose glasses. Im not here to sell you a property what have I to gain from it or act biasly... I guess you could say im bias privately but I have explained why, private are companies who are experience with students nationally and design, build cutting edge accom for students. The Uni is always lagging behind on design, innovation and experience with student accom, it hires small term contractors for cost benefit. These companies often have their own contractor company within its own company or one it always uses thats reliable and expert on student accom. The Uni Accom is only recently catching up now with Charles Morris expected to be just like IQ, Concept so on so fourth etc etc... (those mentioned earlier) but they are charging whacked amounts for it lol, because they can likely fill them since students just do it via the Uni and do not consider the other option of researching and considering private accom, its merely a choice of what is offered in the booklet they send out. Simply because of laziness I guess a few hours research can make things better value for money and quality for you, meaning a smoother year.

Try doing snow and ice in hilly sheffield! down and up massive hills with no grip! Then you know true pain! a flat place like leeds will be easy to cross in the artic weather haha

and i do appreciate all your research and stuff and i'm sure you've helped tonnes of people on here, i also think you should put some kind of guide out since it would be really helpful :smile:

I'm not coming to uni with rose tinted glasses what so ever. I'v been to uni before, i know what the pit falls are to some extent and i know what i do and dont like, simple as. This time i know exactly what i want to get out of uni. I still appreciate your help though so thank you.
hattilongsoks
a little dig perhaps lol :wink:? Things like 'sharing' are important to me which is why i dont mind sharing a bathroom with my fellow housemates. It's gonna be my first year as a student and I don't really mind the decor or if I have a super kitchen or leather couches or whatever. It's not my home, i wont live there forever therefore it doesnt matter to me.

On the IQ website it also says '£83, 50 weeks, (why cheaper money for more weeks exactly?) Restricted view ensuite room with 4ft bed and shared kitchen/lounge' So what is restricted view exactly? a brick wall?

I lived in sheffield in similar student accomm in Broomhill. A 30 or 35 min walk which didnt seem to bother me or anyone in the massive student village, everyone still went out to the main nights and the union nights and everytime we as a flat went out it was the the city clubs. A fiver for a taxi isnt bad at all! It's what i pay here and between the 5 of us its a quid each which i can spare i think haha!
I shared one shower between 5 and our social space was like you say a rickety kitchen but it was fine and cheap :smile:

And i'v seen your many many posts on devonshire halls. I think rah's will be in more places than just dev too, they'll want to be in james baillie and all the new places with en-suites that rich people can afford. I'm hoping Lupton will have some nice, down to earth, normal people living there and if not they'll be nice people who i can get on with no matter what they do or how much money they have or what their parents do (fingers crossed).

I dunno this whole leather couches, professional flat, en-suite malarky isn't for me, im cheap and cheerful, lupton has a party atmosphere apparently and even with no social space people just sit in the halls to drink and mix, nowt wrong with that.

I do understand what you're saying, great price for lots of facilities and 'nice-ness' i just dont think it's for me but I'll keep looking.

I don't think I'll need the 'good luck' but thanks anyways i'm sure i'll make the right decision in the end.

I was not having a dig no lol, alls im saying is now it is clear your priorities are not others priorities each person is different.

Yes this means a ground floor one, which in one sense is easier to move in and out of. Its just a street view of one of the sides, its not like its not going to see any sun. If you stay for longer they make more money thus you will recieve a discount accross the year. There was early bird deals going on people were talking about here but I think you just missed that promotion where it was like £70 a week or summit.

Well if you are already used to the student life and sharing and you prefer it then awesome. So im not sure what your trying to find from this forum if 1. You have friends in Headingly, 2. You have visited Lupton, 3. You had made your mind up. But logic says to me why a rickety kitchen of small size meaning fewer people can stand and drink in it, or a huge kitchen living area with sofas comfy to sit on perfect for drinking games for pretty much the same price. The only thing I can work out is perhaps you prefer somewhere that is lived in and has some sort of character left from those who came before?

For Leeds prices above a 5er is pretty pricey journey for a taxi. You think the £3.20 day rider is going to get you anywhere in Leeds via bus unlimited, but if you do fill the taxi up yes ofc its a good deal.

These upper kids may not just be in Dev but they quickly get ignored elsewhere and end up moving to Dev anyway, or they learn to stop going on about mummy and daddies jobs and there GCSE's and Alevels lol.

Lupton is most certainly down to earth people though you have that correct, but so have I found the private livers at halls are aswell, the only difference is Working Class and Middle Class State Schooled, since they sniff out a good deal. Alls I would suggest is if you book IQ you know your going to IQ, if you put Lupton down your never guaranteed Lupton what if you get assigned somewhere else like Boddington? That is the most likely one you get assigned to if you dont get Lupton due to the price bracket.

Believe me these private halls are not proffessional they were designed for students, I have been to some proffessionally designed places to view like Cartier House for next year, but my partner was not keen on how much they all seemed to look like Show Flats and lacked a normal student presence. Then again was a dishwasher and jacuzzi bath in a nice scenic area like Clarence Dock its just about weighing all these things up and finding your own balance of what your after I guess. One thing is assured the house parties at IQ will be larger because simply there is actually a living room and a kitchen breakfast bar, plenty of seats and plenty of room to stand its more than double the shared flat space. Its not proffessional its what students expect now, simply clean and fresh looking, the concept of sharing and proffessional do not go together. Leather sofas are just comfy compared to a rickety chair thats all im saying.

Its practical to have your own en suite so you can get ready at the same time as your friends so you can all leave and walk together, rather than have to que for the shower everyday. Sharing a shower and toilet does not bother me, its having to wait to use your own facilities like it some kind of public shower and public toilet in a shopping centre. Im not coming at it from the "rah" angle as you may think of ewww sharing ewww, im down with sharing its just impractical. Private halls you can all shower at the same time and sit together and have pre drinks thus being more sociable. Everyone will be having a shower before they go out I assume so everyone will have huge gaps between when people are ready leaving people sitting and waiting for others already fed up of pre-drinks as everyone arrives in dribs and drabs.

Private halls near the city have the best party atmosphere because people choose the city location, because they want to be sociable and want to party at the clubs etc. You will find more nights out at the private city halls and Lupton is quiet a small residence and has the block effect, blocks are small and lots of people just stick to there block after freshers. Its not as sociable as it used to be as things moved on in advancement of residences. If IQ was not so damn cheap, Lupton would be the best cheap option out there. Seriously common areas just mean you can have bigger house party or organize pre-drink nights and then go swamp a nightclub with 50 or more of you.

I was merely wishing you well in your hunt, not saying you need luck just a formality. Of course you will make the right decision for you, since you are on here researching etc clearly you are taking this seriously.
hattilongsoks
Try doing snow and ice in hilly sheffield! down and up massive hills with no grip! Then you know true pain! a flat place like leeds will be easy to cross in the artic weather haha

and i do appreciate all your research and stuff and i'm sure you've helped tonnes of people on here, i also think you should put some kind of guide out since it would be really helpful :smile:

I'm not coming to uni with rose tinted glasses what so ever. I'v been to uni before, i know what the pit falls are to some extent and i know what i do and dont like, simple as. This time i know exactly what i want to get out of uni. I still appreciate your help though so thank you.

Well the more info you provide me with when you ask questions, the more I can tailor them to you and cut out the obvious. I was unaware you already live in Sheffield similiar city to Leeds sharing facilities with students etc and so fourth. Sorry If I treated you as an outright newbie with no prior knowledge, it is better to do that than make assumptions people know things they may not.

Leeds has its fair share of hilly areas, just the stretch from Uni to Hyde park is pretty flat so it gives that perception, now I dont know Sheffield but Leeds is pretty damn hilly. Ive been to California where hills are dead steep renowned and I still think some of the hills in Leeds are bad ass still.

Anytime but it appears my usefulness to you is over and you already have lots of experience and a good idea yourself, perhaps If I had known this in advanced I could cut some of the obvious. Look forward to seeing you at Leeds next year :smile:
what the score on bodington? i like the idea of a student community, with plenty of opportunity to socialise and make friends? also i wouldn't mind the bus and paying for it as i do now for college!

i was keen on dev, but got put off by the idea of being looked down on for being privately educated etc?

ive looked at the new charles morris and maybe ellerslie? also i loved how pretty oxley was!

i can imagine bodingtons a trek? but i can imagine its better than smaller accomodations closer to campus as i bet they are quieter.

i'm keen to be catered as i think this is good for the sociability side?

any ideas on what is the best accomodation?? :smile:
Charlotte16
what the score on bodington? i like the idea of a student community, with plenty of opportunity to socialise and make friends? also i wouldn't mind the bus and paying for it as i do now for college!

i was keen on dev, but got put off by the idea of being looked down on for being privately educated etc?

ive looked at the new charles morris and maybe ellerslie? also i loved how pretty oxley was!

i can imagine bodingtons a trek? but i can imagine its better than smaller accomodations closer to campus as i bet they are quieter.

i'm keen to be catered as i think this is good for the sociability side?

any ideas on what is the best accomodation?? :smile:

I think it seems next year the catered place to be is Charles Morris, I think its part catered anyway. Im not big on catered but im done trying to persuade people its a major drawback.

Boddington is forced to be its own community because there is sod all else around which is why it has to have its own bar. But how are you ever going to meet other peope this way? Boddington is quiet in the sense its in the middle of nowhere.

Dev is for those who are privately/publically educated, providing they got fantastic grades and have rich and/or successful parents in prestigious careers, you tick all these boxes and want to be around people who like you for your status you will fit in well.

I would not say Boddington is any better than Lupton par having its own fairer priced bar, despite Lupton being closer. But then the city centre ones are the most active, people always doing things as its all on there doorstep. If the bus in traffic does not bother you on a daily basis then its fine I suppose, but its got not real local amneties. Its a 10min bus ride to Asda though in Holt Park which is nice.

Catered does not = sociable, its unsociable in many aspects I dont want to go into, as its restrictive due to timetables for your meals, not to forget its a rip off and you can save loads more buying your own shopping. If you go self-catered you cook together which is rather sociable and teamwork building.

Charles Morris in short :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest