The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds Accommodation 2012 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Just come back from the Leeds open day, all 4 of the 3rd years I spoke to reccomended the off campus accomodation. I'm still leaning towards Clarence Dock, even if it is a bit far from Headingly.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 81
Thinking of Oxley, The Tannery or Leodis. Anyone know much about them Id quite like to walk to campus and dont mind 30min walk or so as long as theres also a bus just in case i cant be bothered one day. How long does the bus take from Oxley to uni? On the Leeds website it seems to say Oxley is mainly for sporty people. Im not really sporty, more of a dance/aerobics/gym person so would i be stuck with lots of sporty people? It also says theres a sports place there? Is it just astro etc or is there a gym too? The Tannery seems quite nice even though its near the dental/medical/business school is there generally a mix of people that live there from lots of courses? Leodis seems really nice too, with it being closer to the uni does anyone know how the social life is there or is it quite quiet?
Sorry for all the questions, id appreciate any help though :-)
xxx
Typically in self catered,en suite accommodation how many people share a communal kitchen/area.At other unis where it has been say 10-12 people this seems like a really good idea, and an easy way to meet people. Just wondering what its like at Leeds.
Leeds is my first choice, I'm pretty keen on Devonshire, I play guitar and stuff and they've got a music room there, although i can imagine it being more theatre based, Bodington looks fun aswell, im on a gap year (resits), so i was wondering as to whether they generally shift all the gappers into the same area, and the pro's and cons of both Devonshire and Bodington. Thanks for any help.
Reply 84
Humanitiesboy123
Typically in self catered,en suite accommodation how many people share a communal kitchen/area.At other unis where it has been say 10-12 people this seems like a really good idea, and an easy way to meet people. Just wondering what its like at Leeds.

5-6 at Clarence Dock.
MarknSpark
5-6 at Clarence Dock.

So you only share communal space with 5-6 people? Does this mean these are the only people you know really well from your accomodation, or is there other communal areas bar the kitchen space?
Luke_Wiechula
Leeds is my first choice, I'm pretty keen on Devonshire, I play guitar and stuff and they've got a music room there, although i can imagine it being more theatre based, Bodington looks fun aswell, im on a gap year (resits), so i was wondering as to whether they generally shift all the gappers into the same area, and the pro's and cons of both Devonshire and Bodington. Thanks for any help.

I'm in the exact same position as you, and I'm interested in the same accom! I know that Sheffield shove their gappers in one place but I'm hoping Leeds don't, they have so much more choice! I don't know though, it'd be nice if someone could tell us :smile:
Alexandra1234567
I'm in the exact same position as you, and I'm interested in the same accom! I know that Sheffield shove their gappers in one place but I'm hoping Leeds don't, they have so much more choice! I don't know though, it'd be nice if someone could tell us :smile:

Gap year people get put in all residences. Often we may put you in flats/blocks together but not always.
accomoffice
Gap year people get put in all residences. Often we may put you in flats/blocks together but not always.

Oh brilliant, I had thought it might be suiting flatmates (it's like that with my friend at York). Thank you!
How long from making Leeds my firm can I apply for accomodation?
Reply 90
Hi everyone,

I have just confirmed Leeds as my firm choice! Now trying to decide what accommodation to go for!

Obviously want to pay as less as possible, en suite, self-catered.

Any good suggestions?!

Thaaaaaaaaanks! :smile:
jelly1000
How long from making Leeds my firm can I apply for accomodation?

I think now, as the 'Apply for 2010' box was clickable on the accomodation website! Buuut I remember them saying something about March, so I could be wrong.
Alexandra1234567
I think now, as the 'Apply for 2010' box was clickable on the accomodation website! Buuut I remember them saying something about March, so I could be wrong.

I know you can apply for accomodation now, but when I came to submit my details it didnt recognise them, so I was wondering if you have to wait til they find out you've made Leeds firm to be able to apply.
jelly1000
I was wondering if you have to wait til they find out you've made Leeds firm to be able to apply.

Yes, that's right - you can only apply once our records show that you've put Leeds as either your firm or your insurance. It seems to take a few days from you notifying UCAS to filter through so try again later in the week. It's not first come, first served so no panic!
Reply 94
Humanitiesboy123
So you only share communal space with 5-6 people? Does this mean these are the only people you know really well from your accomodation, or is there other communal areas bar the kitchen space?

Not at all. Most of my friends are from other flats. There's a bar on site, which helps. No one just speaks to people from their flats.
mad-cow18
Thinking of Oxley, The Tannery or Leodis. Anyone know much about them Id quite like to walk to campus and dont mind 30min walk or so as long as theres also a bus just in case i cant be bothered one day. How long does the bus take from Oxley to uni? On the Leeds website it seems to say Oxley is mainly for sporty people. Im not really sporty, more of a dance/aerobics/gym person so would i be stuck with lots of sporty people? It also says theres a sports place there? Is it just astro etc or is there a gym too? The Tannery seems quite nice even though its near the dental/medical/business school is there generally a mix of people that live there from lots of courses? Leodis seems really nice too, with it being closer to the uni does anyone know how the social life is there or is it quite quiet?
xxx

Its not a big deal not being near Headingly for a start, its like a cheaper accomodation area thats all, tad further from the Uni's a different community. Oxley is like 15-20mins with some mild traffic on bus it can be a bit quicker, but can be a hell of a lot slower up to 45mins on friday afternoons. Though I have not done the Oxley to Uni run, Im calculating this based on what point on the way to Bodington the bus passes Oxley. I would not imagine it would be tonnes of sporty people, because Bodington is close to the sports fields aswell, my Bodington friends are not sporty really despite being closer than Oxley to the weetwood fields. None of my experiences of Halls and people I know would indicate there is a specific sporty one, sport is generally spread, because the campus has half the facilities and the weetwood sports field the others and then you have the gryphon sport centre aswell. You could not walk Oxley in 30mins I do not think nor would you want to talk that far its quiet a trek, though im sure some super fit kid would argue otherwise.

Tannery is very mixed its just over the road from where im living at Concept Place which is owned by the same company but is 2 years newer yet I think the pricing is the same or closely similiar. Its near the medical school, I would not say its that close to the Business school as the hill sloping up the Clarendon Road takes longer than you would expect.

Its also closer to the main sports hall on campus and closer than other accomodation to the Roger Stevens (bomb shelter wierd designed, concrete beast of a maze). I would say its fractionally closer to the main 1st year library the Edward Boyle than any other off campus accomodation so discounting: Charles Morris, Ellersie and Henry Price halls. Also discounting Concept Place which is a roadside closer to the Uni than the Tannery with Sentinel Towers a pathway closer also.

Also remember the three: Tannery, Concept and Sentinel Towers are the closest accomodation offered by the Uni to the city centre judging that as the town hall on the headrow strip, its way closer than Clarence Dock to the shops and main amneties such as Morrissons.

Tannery and Concept are a total mix, but sentinel towers is more full of maturer older students and international students from my few personal encounters they are a lot quieter and totally study focused, so not the most sociable place. But I would add the people @ Tannery and Concept pay a tad more for private slightly better quality and en suites with marginally bigger rooms and a much larger shared kitchen space with sofa/drinking area for those alcohol games. This tends to mean they have slightly more money than other students or at least wanted to be close to the city centre for the nightclubs, they nightclub very regular and have houseparties often, where as if you had to treck to a city nightclub from Bodington/Oxley you might be demoralized by the distance and time limit, although a late 3am bus runs people back to Bodington which I imagine is much quicker than the daytime journey.

But think if you cant be bothered to walk even if you live just off the town centre at Tannery/Concept/Sentinel your taxi fare is only £2.70 from Amber Cars, this matters not what time of day it is or whether there are 2-7 people in the car. Id imagine it would be closer to a 10er to Oxley, but I dont know it charges 10p per 0.1 a mile/ £1 per 1mile after 1mile which is £2.70 of which Concept/Tannery/Sentinel are all just 1mile or under. If you cant be assed to walk 10mins to the centre of Leeds Uni campus, you can catch the freecity bus for 3/4 of the journey, which will drop you to the Leeds Uni Sports Hall entrance next to the med school hospital, If your more into Dance and Gym this is where the Swimming, Gym and Dance/Aerobics theatre will be all next year.

But the freecity buses are not timely reliable though, there are lots of them they tend to pile up one behind the other as the day goes on. You can always sit on it longer and end up in the city centre and Morrisons/McDonalds@St Johns Centre.

As for Leodis I only met some International Students who are living there, if thats any indication then im guessing they chuck some younger international students in there few Japenese and Chinese from what I know, study focused but younger and more inquisitive than the Sentinel Tower older ones. Im not saying there are no homeland students living there, but compare it to some residencies where there are 0 or less than 5 Internationals you get what I mean. Its not as close as its made out either its got a killer hill that will become very annoying even if your fit, cars stall on it all the time its very steep, you would not want to stroll into lectures/seminars sweating from that hill in the summer all the time. Its close to the Parkinson/Brotherton building/library and student services, mechanical/engineering building but other than that Id say Tannery/Concept/Sentinel are closer to most of the main areas of study. The Union is pretty inbetween Leodis/Montague vs Concept/Tannery/Sentinel. What are you studying, it will help estimate where you would be closest too, but a lot of it matters not because you want to be closest to the big lecture theatres: Roger Stevens, Conference Theatre, Michael Sadler etc.

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 96
mad-cow18
xxx

im in leodis, its often labelled as not sociable but i dont know why at all...i love it here and have a veryy social group of friends , really dont think you can label it to that extent as every place just depends on the people, but ive had a sick time here so far! saying that there is absolutely loooads of international students not gonna lie, altho theyre usually put together. also its so handy being so close to uni, takes about 7 minutes to walk id say, the hill really isnt that bad at all, straight up and youre on campus, so convenient as you can come back between lectures or just wake up 10 minutes before and make it in!
I was told by all of the students at the open day that Oxley had a sporty reputation, but like ALL reputations, it doesn't mean it rings true for everyone (or even the majority) of people who live there.
I've applied for Clarence Dock.
jelly1000
I've applied for Clarence Dock.

How does the application form work do you get 3 choices in ranking order?

Quick Reply

Latest