Original post by GabbiWS
What block you in? I got Tannery block A 812 :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300

I'm in A block too :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Am I the last to hear? Anyone else still waiting? If so where have you applied? Xxxxx
Original post by holly6946
it's not 25 mins lol, google maps says 40.)

The google walker must be really unfit.:tongue: 25 minutes is probably going at a fair pace but as someone said below, 30 is infinitely doable. (it's only just over one and a half miles and 4 miles an hour is a reasonable walking speed)

The bus pass is £70 A MONTH! :frown:

Noooooo. Look up the First Bus student pass. It's only about £110 for the first term from Bodington and Lupton is in the Green Zone so it'll be cheaper. You may have been looking at the West Yorkshire Metro pass? Although the Student Union have negotiated a special rate with the bus company so it's only £1 a journey from Headingley. So if you think you're someone that will walk most of the time but get a bus when it's raining or you can't be bothered walking and especially if you don't have to be in every day, that's probably better. And if you're walking, you can have a crafty ciggie en route :wink:

I'll have to learn to ride a bike.

But that's a very good idea. The Campusvelo scheme has bikes for hire, if you don't want to buy one/bring it up. And there is good secure bike parking at Lupton.
Original post by chloeamy
I put that I'm a smoker as well. So think we will have been put in a flat for just us smokers....
Ah. Yeah, it doesn't state we are in a smoking room though. hmmm hmmm

This year we have had to put some smokers in non-smoking flats but usually on the ground floor by the door. So that fact that you are on the third floor (all the smoking flats are at the top) suggests it is a smoking flat. I'll check tomorrow and let you know tomorrow evening. The person who does all the admin. work for Lupton isn't in until Wednesday so she may only be able to send the smoking email then.
Reply 1384
Original post by accomoffice
This year we have had to put some smokers in non-smoking flats but usually on the ground floor by the door. So that fact that you are on the third floor (all the smoking flats are at the top) suggests it is a smoking flat. I'll check tomorrow and let you know tomorrow evening. The person who does all the admin. work for Lupton isn't in until Wednesday so she may only be able to send the smoking email then.

Ah ok. Yeah, that would be great if you could let me know. Thank you!
Reply 1385
Look up the First Bus student pass. It's only about £110 for the first term from Bodington and Lupton is in the Green Zone so it'll be cheaper.

I've just looked online, its £80 a term for the 'green boundary'. £96 a term for the one you can go anywhere in West Yorkshire.

Not bad, not bad!
Original post by chloeamy
I've just looked online, its £80 a term for the 'green boundary'. £96 a term for the one you can go anywhere in West Yorkshire.

I think that's the prices for the third term (i.e April- June 2012) which is usually cheaper because it's a bit shorter. I rang First the other week to try and get prices but they won't be setting them until August. I think last years first term equivalent to the £96 was £110 so, assuming prices have gone up because that's the way of the world :rolleyes:, I would imagine that the GreenZone first term pass would be around £85-£90.
Reply 1387
I think that's the prices for the third term (i.e April- June 2012) which is usually cheaper because it's a bit shorter. I rang First the other week to try and get prices but they won't be setting them until August. I think last years first term equivalent to the £96 was £110 so, assuming prices have gone up because that's the way of the world :rolleyes:, I would imagine that the GreenZone first term pass would be around £85-£90.

AHHH I seee! Thanks :smile:
I know some uni's halls have a cleaning service fortnightly or so - does this happen in Leeds halls or do we need to fend for ourselves? :P
Original post by Georgiana1605
I know some uni's halls have a cleaning service fortnightly or so - does this happen in Leeds halls or do we need to fend for ourselves? :P

I'm afraid that, largely, you fend for yourselves. The cleaners take out rubbish from kitchens but don't clean them (apart from a deep clean during each vacation). If you have a shared bathroom, it gets cleaned but not en suites (including the shared en suites in Henry Price and Dob and Whetton at Charlie Mo). And your bedroom doesn't get cleaned at all.
The rubbish doesn't get taken out at James Baillie Park, The Tannery, Grayson Heights, Central Village, Liberty Dock or Leodis. Nor do shared bathrooms get cleaned at those residences (although most of them are en suite anyway)
We used to clean but everybody used to put notes on their bedroom doors saying they didn't want it cleaned and in the kitchens, half the time the cleaners could never actually clean the work surfaces due to stuff left on them.
So now, we do flat inspections every term to make sure you're not living in squalor and, if anyone tells us they have a problem with their flatmates not clearing up, the Residence Manager will do an additional inspection and make sure it gets brought up to standard.
Reply 1390
does anybody know when international students usually get their accommodation offer?
Original post by nala
does anybody know when international students usually get their accommodation offer?

If you're an undergraduate coming through UCAS; it's the same timetable as for UK students i.e. about now if your offer became unconditional by mid-July or between 20 August and 11 September otherwise.
If you're an exchange student who's here for both semesters, about now. If you're only here for the first semester, end of next week; if you're only here for the second semester, not until December/early January.
If you're a postgrad. you should have received an email within the last 3 weeks, you will receive your offer (if you haven't done so already), in the next 2 weeks; unless you applied after the deadline, in which case in will be later.
If you're an International Foundation Year student, it's the same as for postgrads.
If you're an EC postgrad, we'll be emailing you this week.

I think that's every eventuality.
Reply 1392
Wow, thank you so much for this information! I'm really looking forward now for the end of next week :-)
Reply 1393
Hello all,

Just writing on this to see who is also in Montague Burton accommodation Block N... anyone joining me?

Furthermore, I would really appreciate any positive or negative experiences connected to Montague Burton. So, if you stayed there or you still are, please write me some pros and cons.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Cookiie Doo
Does that mean that there is cleaning equipment at the residents that don't get cleaned? (e.g. vacuum)

Everywhere has a vacuum cleaner and I'm fairly sure everywhere has a mop and bucket and dustpan and brush, as well.
Original post by GabbiWS
Yeah 15 mins to the side of the campus where the edge is so find out where you are and judge from there?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300

I think my department is located east of st. georges park. seems like a good 30min walk? guess that'll be good exercise :smile:
What date do we move into the accomodation, does anyone know?
I'm a little confused.. I thought anyone made unconditional after the 11th of July wasn't going to get allocated accommodation until after the 16th of August. But I've just spoken to someone who was made unconditional on the 19th, and get got allocated the other day? I got my offer through on the 20th, does that mean I'll be getting accommodation soon? Has anyone who's applied to Central Village heard anything? :smile:
Reply 1398
Cant believe I got the Tannery! I'd been there before but I had never considered it. I really thought I had tailored my preferences in order to either receive Henry Price (1st choice) or Leodis. My first preference was distance to campus and I've been given one thats 20-30 minutes away! Really gutted, are there any ways that accomodation can be changed? I've got an unconditional so hopefully that would give me somewhat of an advantage?
Original post by antipathyx
I'm a little confused.. I thought anyone made unconditional after the 11th of July wasn't going to get allocated accommodation until after the 16th of August. But I've just spoken to someone who was made unconditional on the 19th, and get got allocated the other day? I got my offer through on the 20th, does that mean I'll be getting accommodation soon? Has anyone who's applied to Central Village heard anything? :smile:

I havent heard anything from them :s-smilie:. Sent an email last week and they said that they'd contact me over the coming weeks, but no, haven't heard anything.

Quick Reply

Latest