The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds Accommodation 2012 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Moonbeam1991
The Plaza is a little old now and tad beat up, but its attached to the more luxurious pricey Sky Plaza which is dead funk if money is no option. It seems to be mainly international students there though not sure why, but its nowhere near full capacity these days so many places to choose. But least you get a gym in with your accomodation price, its also in a great location 2mins from Morrissons its in the city centre off the main streets. But its like 7 years old now and for the price they are charging you would expect a new build. But its a pretty good company

Opal 3 ive said a bit on already so if you could read back, but the company seems to give better value for money and care about there properties a bit more, the pricing is more fair I would say and its always at full capacity, if you want Opal 3 its selling out fast, I would reccomend it for a first year or even a PG new to the area its sleek and newer building, I think you would be its 2nd or 3rd year if you choose it. Its just that edge better than UNITE I reckon.

Cool, thanks for that. I've sent off the online form on the Leeds accommodation website for it, but don't know whether I should have done it on their actual website :s!!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
TEBadger
Cool, thanks for that. I've sent off the online form on the Leeds accommodation website for it, but don't know whether I should have done it on their actual website :s!!

Go through the actual website yourself you guarantee a place if you do it through them, I think Leeds Uni charge you a bit more sometimes than the private people, so they can have a cut out of it all. You can pick the payment plan room number and everything that way, stipulate you want to be put in with Leeds Uni people in an email so u will end up wid the same bunch most likely anyway.

Opal 3 is filling up fast I would not delay, but if not Plaza will not fill to full capacity anymore until they reprice it fairer, I reckon you could live it until September and get in The Plaza on a deal if you really wanted to but its best not to do that ofc. But dont be pressured into a decision because there going fast ey, better to be sure and know what your getting into.
Reply 142
Can any1 give me an insight into concept place? It seems to have it all but how is its rep? Is it far away from the union?

EDIT: Just realised how its not being offered for next year lol :biggrin:. http://www.leeds.ac.uk/accommodation/concept_place/index.html

Can someone offer me an equal alternative?
Flipsta
Can any1 give me an insight into concept place? It seems to have it all but how is its rep? Is it far away from the union?

EDIT: Just realised how its not being offered for next year lol :biggrin:. http://www.leeds.ac.uk/accommodation/concept_place/index.html

Can someone offer me an equal alternative?

Concept is still being rented just not via the University, it works out a few quid a week cheaper if you do it via UNITE the company, I think anyway. It will still be packed more with Leeds Uni just be a few more Leeds Met next year than the 5 Leeds Met atm, the only reason Leeds aint doing it with them now is because of Charles Morris and new accomodation buildings, there are more beds in Leeds for Students than Students to fill them.

Check it out, it is good and practical, its still well kept will be its 3rd year if you come. Its lively depending on what floor your on and whose on your floor ofc but this year its always busy and the common room downstairs people watch sport, movies take their xbox down and do games nights which is quiet nice and socialable.

Other similiar things to check out: Opal 3, IQ, CRM Priory. All similiar price similiar style of living all very close to the Uni all like max 15min walk distance. Priory is a nice old building but its studios only I think but for a 10er more for a studio than Concept, Opal 3, IQ. CRM priory is well worth it considering its over the road from Charles Morris still on campus. But if your looking for nice quality nice city central and university location and non University managed then those 4 properties are a must check and do it soon. Opal 3 is almost fully booked dead popular, Concept will fill by 2months time, IQ I imagine will also by 2 months time, but CRM Priory may be a few left but the cheapest deal studios will be gone if you daddle, but the building is gorgeous original wood still in it, its a must see even if you dont plan on living there just to wow at the idea and architecture. There all new aswell like 2 years old etc par Concept which is 3.
Reply 144
Moonbeam1991
Concept is still being rented just not via the University, it works out a few quid a week cheaper if you do it via UNITE the company, I think anyway. It will still be packed more with Leeds Uni just be a few more Leeds Met next year than the 5 Leeds Met atm, the only reason Leeds aint doing it with them now is because of Charles Morris and new accomodation buildings, there are more beds in Leeds for Students than Students to fill them.

Check it out, it is good and practical, its still well kept will be its 3rd year if you come. Its lively depending on what floor your on and whose on your floor ofc but this year its always busy and the common room downstairs people watch sport, movies take their xbox down and do games nights which is quiet nice and socialable.

Other similiar things to check out: Opal 3, IQ, CRM Priory. All similiar price similiar style of living all very close to the Uni all like max 15min walk distance. Priory is a nice old building but its studios only I think but for a 10er more for a studio than Concept, Opal 3, IQ. CRM priory is well worth it considering its over the road from Charles Morris still on campus. But if your looking for nice quality nice city central and university location and non University managed then those 4 properties are a must check and do it soon. Opal 3 is almost fully booked dead popular, Concept will fill by 2months time, IQ I imagine will also by 2 months time, but CRM Priory may be a few left but the cheapest deal studios will be gone if you daddle, but the building is gorgeous original wood still in it, its a must see even if you dont plan on living there just to wow at the idea and architecture. There all new aswell like 2 years old etc par Concept which is 3.

A really big thank you on the nice detailed reply.

Ive been to Opal 3 before as my friends brother lives ther atm. Its really good! I'm looking for a self-catered thing so Charles Morris is pretty out of the question, the prices are also pretty high.

I'm looking for something with ensuite and is more leeds uni based rather than city as Im not comfortable with the idea of wondering around the city alone everyday. Any other suggestions, Leodis seems alright?
Reply 145
I have looked round, and reserved a room at broadcasting tower. it is pretty expensive though, but nice and new. the guy who manages the site was really nice too and knew all the residents we came accross by name :smile:
Flipsta
A really big thank you on the nice detailed reply.

Ive been to Opal 3 before as my friends brother lives ther atm. Its really good! I'm looking for a self-catered thing so Charles Morris is pretty out of the question, the prices are also pretty high.

I'm looking for something with ensuite and is more leeds uni based rather than city as Im not comfortable with the idea of wondering around the city alone everyday. Any other suggestions, Leodis seems alright?

I didnt suggest Charles Morris, but IQ Concept and CRM Priory are all within 10mins walk to the Uni without having to walk through the city and are all decent en suites with nicer rooms than any Uni Accomodation will offer. Why would you if you was in Opal 3 wander around the city on your own be a bad thing :s-smilie: well fair enuff then. Seriously though living near the city but not being in it is great yet also being near the Uni is fab! Taxi home after a nightclub venture is only £2.70-£3.40 depending which club and what accomodation listed above.

I dont know much about leodis I know 5 Japanese people there if thats any help indicating what people you get there, they seem happy enough. It looks ok from the outside just down the hill near Montague, IQ is a bit further beyond Leodis by 4mins. The campus is just on the edge of the city centre anyway, so CRM Priory is on campus 3-4mins to Student Union and like 15mins to city centre. But like I said they dont do this sharing cluster thing but a small studio is great value for money all included, considering its the most beautiful funky building. You wont find much new quality like listed above at any Uni accomodation with Charles Morris the exception. If you have a tad more to spend and you want that location and a nice newer build designed by proffessionals who are experts on student living Id check the shortlist I gave ya, they all close to Uni in my opinion, closer than most of the Uni Accom.

I forgot to mention Broadcasting Tower I guess thats cause it has a lot of Leeds Met appeal and its also pretty overpriced for what it is, its decor is slightly better thats all it is really. But its also great location a bridge away from the city centre and a road and a few mins from the Uni Campus.

As for city living you cant really beat it all those shops at your door at Opal 3 carrying things is a pain, so Opal 3 is damn perfect location. But the others like I said are close so I really dunno what else I can tell ya. If you want Uni closeness stick to the privates, if you want budget go with Uni accom.

I mean if your not fussed with a slightly nicer build for a minimal amount more, then sure go for Leodis but its not as close as its made out, its close to Parkinson but thats it, Id reccomend the other side of the Uni its closer to the Edward Boyle Library and Roger Stevens biggest lecture theatre building where most people will have lectures in first year. It wont matter once your here you will love it and are spoilt for choice of where to live close to campus.
SLIN
I would go and look at IQ as I really liked the ensuite rooms and I think overall, the whole site looked modern and clean and still in really good condition. You can walk to the Parkinson Building and it is right opposite a taxi rank if you don't want to walk around at night. Been chatting to a few people for next year on Facebook - seem like a great bunch of people! I can't wait!

It is quiet nice I looked during the build and pre-build but the area is dodgy and has a high crime rate, I would not personally want to walk around that area beyond 8pm. Also the hill is a bitch and would drive you mental everyday arriving to lectures and seminars sweaty is not a good thing. So you have to weigh this up. It is a pretty damn steep hill if you have not seen it you have to go up to get to Uni.

Then compare it to Concept exactley the same quality and pretty same price least, when I was looking but a better more student area with more local amenities and closer to the city slightly, also its closer to SU, Edward Boyle Library, Roger Stevens key areas you will be using in your first year. The people are equally nice and sociable so just weigh it up, IQ I found had smaller fridges and wardrobe space aswell, UNITE tend to be better at making the most practical usability out of their space. Also the Ovens were pretty crap those combi things never a good sign, get a proper Oven at Concept.

But there is not an awful lot in it and you will have an equally good time at Uni thats just my personal preference I guess since I prefer the Concept Place side of town and location. You got Cardigan fields nearby so you got another cinema and bowling and place to eat out if you dont fancy the city alternatives.

But on a + side IQ is a year newer and thats 1 less group of people lived in it, but this year it was nowhere near full capacity lot of empty rooms so you could get a brand new block of rooms, or one less person to share with. But you could take that as a negative if you want an active lively place to live, not much of a community this year I heard, lotta older people went in not many 1st years. But next year that could all change so its a real tough one to weigh up, I did the same and for my year I made the right choice in Concept over IQ, next year IQ might be the place to be who knows, IQ is a gamble for the social thing, where as Concept is a safe you know what your going to get and thats a good social grouping of frequent nights out.
Reply 148
I am hoping to go to Leeds University to study Sport and Exercise Science this September, and I'm trying to work out which would be the best accomodation to stay in. I have been thinking about Opal 3, as I want a social environment, self-catered and an en-suit bathroom, and having a gym in the halls would be great. But I didn't know if it was too far away from campus, and whether any of the others would be better?
I'd appreciate any help! :smile:
RoseDavie
I am hoping to go to Leeds University to study Sport and Exercise Science this September, and I'm trying to work out which would be the best accomodation to stay in. I have been thinking about Opal 3, as I want a social environment, self-catered and an en-suit bathroom, and having a gym in the halls would be great. But I didn't know if it was too far away from campus, and whether any of the others would be better?
I'd appreciate any help! :smile:

I do an elective in Badminton, so I know some of the Sport Science staff. Well im assuming you will be on the bottom of campus around the sport centre and where most of the science areas are. Opal 3 is a pretty good location, as its on the bottom side of campus im guessing you will need to be for your course its 12mins from Campus.

The alternative then really is Concept Place same sort of stuff, but Concept is just over an underpass so its just out of the city centre. Whereas Opal 3 is like on the back of Morrissons and the Merrion Centre. Social side is always safe with Concept, I dont know much about the Opal 3 social side as a lot of people there I know and heard about are Older and a few Internationals and not into going clubbing and what not, they prefer to keep to themselves to themselves. Thats not to say there are not pockets of groupings of people who are younger and want to go out clubbing, considering its on your doorstep.

Concept is probably closer to the Sports Centre and alternative Sports Centre the Gryphon and also the current Gym the Cromer Terrace, so if your going to be into your indoor sports Concept is 5mins or so closer give or take depending which one. Its also closer to the lecture theatre you will use a lot the Roger Stevens and those Science areas you may use with the course. Concept is 12mins to the city and 10mins to campus.

If you want the closest to your course though CRM the Priory its self catered and not shared living apart from the biggest best common areas any property has in this city. So you would live in a studio setup but it seems to be very socialable still and a real mix and balance of people. For the cheapest there its like a 10er more than Concept or Opal 3 a week for all of your own things no sharing which is great. Everyone seemed to know everyone there so even though its independent living it seems a friendly social atmosphere. Its on campus near the Roger Stevens and all the Sport Centres, closest to the Main one though. Its a short walk to the city centre also 7mins.

I would not worry about the Gym as next year the Uni Gym will be brand new and trust me you will want to be in that one its now better than Leeds Mets exercise facilities thats saying something consider Leeds Met produce olympians haha! With the new pool which you get a sports pass for both gym and pool you cant seperate them I dont think. If you really into your sport you will have to get a sports pass of some kind anyway to use the sports halls, so you will end up having access to the gym and swimming pool anyway, which at any of these accomodations is a short walk.
Moonbeam1991
Social side is always safe with Concept,

Concept isn't being offered through the university this year, there will not be many first years going there so I very much doubt the social aspects will be great.
Ludwig Wittgenstein
Concept isn't being offered through the university this year, there will not be many first years going there so I very much doubt the social aspects will be great.

Well I asked downstairs what makeup it is next year and she has been showing round lots of first years who have already booked. I would not reccomend going through the Uni in short, they put a charge on you dont have to pay if you cut the middle man.

Its a safe bet and it makes no difference since the reputation is why people will continue going here. Private properties are more thoroughly maintained and have more active receptions.

CRM Priory is not through the Uni it seems good too, Opal 3 from what ive known has been totally independent and always meets its capacity and is popular also but amongst different ages, but that is in line to change now.

Well ive seen all these private properties and thats the pro's and con's, its a safe social aspect, but you are correct thats not to say it cant change but its not going to be a sudden change, it may decline gradually year by year who knows. But next year is set to be socialble at Concept because of the people who i've seen and also our building receptionist, Jodie seems to think its been better minus the Uni inteference as UNITE have a get to know your roomates website, to meet and chat with people before you come and also now they are in control of the people allocation they are putting people better suited to one another together. Could be better you never know... One thing is sure its a safe social aspect to the place.
SLIN
IQ is booking up quickly as they have an offer on that is £72 a week - it doesn't have a gym but it seems sociable - I have been chatting to new flatmates on Facebook and they seem like a good mix of 1st years and returners.
Not to be rude, but I have read some bad things about UNITE that has really put me off booking there, for example I know there aren't many staff and they don't take parcels or get things mended quickly etc which is the sort of hassle I just don't want to deal with!

Well you cant tar each building with the companies few bad cases. I told them about a boiler not working on friday afternoon, had cold water, they had a guy come out and assess it and he fixed it within 3 hours, but the problem was further they had to replace our thermostat this was done on a saturday out of office hours... Staff are present all year, but the only downside is over Xmas if your going to live in your accomodation your right you cant get your parcels at that time of the year, but you cant expect a reception to be manned over Xmas thats unfair. Most packages fit in your postbox though if its CD's, DVD's and Games it will.

With UNITE it depends on the property and its staffing, I can gladly say Jodie is a fantastic receptionist at Concept, she is way more than a receptionist, knows everyone by name and is proffessional yet friendly she knows the building inside out and you cant fault her, she seems to know every room and its layout inside out. Also UNITE are looking to improve themselves all the time I have been given a few surveys with £10 vouchers as an incentive to fill them out, also I did a viewing of Sky Plaza for UNITE as a mystery shopper and I got to constructively criticise the people who give you a tour of the building, got £20 for it, which is all positive. I think a lot of the negative things have been at the Tannery which is unmanned mainly.

As for Staff I just went downstairs to collect my parcel and there were 3 people in the office despite the HQ for Unite being The Plaza...

But for that deal if true IQ sounds good, just do not walk it alone its next to a rough council estate with a reputation... preying on students a fair few muggings round there. They wudnt hurt you or nout just in dire poverty and desperate for a quick buck. The point they had to lower their prices to incite people to the property does thus prove the neighbourhood and hill is a real turn off.

The area is the problem IQ may be a good company but what idiot made the decision to put IQ Leeds in such a bad location? Any of us could of made a better decision where to put one, its on the non-student side of the city surrounded by locals of Leeds. You have a little green area which is nice in the summer but a bitch to walk up in the wet muddy other seasons as its not paved properly. But then the other accomodation Concept and CRM Priory have nice green park squares paved routes and not muddy if not nicer because of more trees.

I mean weigh it all up but at that price its probably worth it, if its really £72 a week you would be an idiot to stay with the Uni Accomodation that charges £75 upwards, but if you want that better location its worth the money. It was small things that bugged me with them as I said it all looks nice but its not that practical for living in. Appliances are way too small for the cluster flats. I almost went there though cause it did look pleasant, par on a revisit the show flats were totally different to the actual flats sizes and appliances you got and it was rushed to be finished and poor workmanship is found in doors and skirting boards and plastering, but who cares about that if your a student I guess. But it just shows you how quickly it was whacked up and done, makes you question it.
Reply 153
Hi guys ive been offered at place at Leeds to do geography and am in a massive predicament with choosing my accommodation!!!

Basically i want a party hard place (want a good first year, haha), self catered. From what i have read everyone would probably say Boddingtons...but i love the idea of being in walking distance to everything...or maybe cycling.

The accommodations which have caught my eye are:

Concept - although i saw it may not be busy this year due to not being available through Leeds...so possibly tannery?

Lupton

Opel 3

Boddington

Devonshire Hall

Quite a wide selection i know but any help to aid my decision would be wicked!

Thanks!!
GregEvans
Hi guys ive been offered at place at Leeds to do geography and am in a massive predicament with choosing my accommodation!!!

Basically i want a party hard place (want a good first year, haha), self catered. From what i have read everyone would probably say Boddingtons...but i love the idea of being in walking distance to everything...or maybe cycling.

The accommodations which have caught my eye are:

Concept - although i saw it may not be busy this year due to not being available through Leeds...so possibly tannery?

Lupton

Opel 3

Boddington

Devonshire Hall

Quite a wide selection i know but any help to aid my decision would be wicked!

Thanks!!

Concept is pretty party vibe, Tannery is a bit too but accomodation is nicer at Concept its newer so. You get the middle class kids here who love a good night out, its all popular culture types. Tannery similiar but to a lesser extent. Its walking distance but in bad weather its not that pleasant, but taxis are £2.70-£3 to all nightclubs and back, cheap enough.

Lupton is nice but its going to be a bus on nights out to the city, the Headingly area is supposed to be really nice though, but im not a subscriber to that its way overpriced to eat out or drink out in Headingly, I prefer the cheaper city drink deals you get in pubs, bars and clubs. Its a little community with little houses its pretty cool and the sainsburies is 3mins walk round a corner onto the main stretch. Its mainly house parties though people get fed up of having to pay for taxis or buses to go out and buses stop running at 11:59, though there are extra rate night buses but I dont know how often and when to Headingly.

Opal 3 is right in that city heart but has a mixed party atmosphere, 3mins to the Morrissons and cinema and bowling. You have some great clubs there, Tiger Tiger, Oceana, Gatecrasher few mins away. Its only 6mins to Mezz, Superna, Chilli Whites, Mission and Cockpit to name a few but there are so many places there. Oh and Subculture is probably the nearest nightclub to Opal 3 at like 1.5 mins walk. But not everyone there is into going out you get older people and a few internationals for some reason, but next year sounds like it might be more outgoing and party place.

Bodington is a tight knit community with its own bar and things because its so far out of the way from anything, its a long bus at times 45mins from Uni there is a late night bus to there also, but its not a pleasant ride surrounded by drunks being sick everywhere on the bus I would guess lol. Its a lotta lotta house parties though its very party but not in a nightclub sense, not nice if you want to escape the party atmosphere though because its surrounding you, rather than people out in the city at nightclubs.

Devonshire is more the gentleman chaps and ladies who really dress up and go out to the more pricey clubs but less regular. Its a close knit elite type of people, from the more upper lipped middle class kids. Tend to come from more private schooled backgrounds im not sure why that is considering they could go private, I guess it just built an reputation for that and it stuck and the building is a bit older so for people with a taste for tradition over modern. Its close to hyde park corner though which is pleasant a few shops and its about a 15min straight flat walk to the Parkinson clocktower building probably about 17mins to the SU then with a cut through route. Its still a bus ride to the city its like 10mins on the bus or 30mins by foot.

Each accomodation fits another type of person, but Ive had a nice time at Concept balance between keeping myself to myself and partying can do either or. Concept will still be party and full of first years I asked downstairs about what sort of people shown around she said same as this year so it hasnt changed for next year, there letting at a steady pace and will be near full capacity maybe a few less but that just means less people to share your kitchen with a bonus in my eyes.
SLIN
You certainly do your research! Thanks for all the advise. They said the reason for the offer is that they are only in their second year and weren't quite full last year and want to make it an even better student experience this year by being full. I like it anyway!

Yea probably there desperate to fill it as I said, it is a good accomodation its just not taken off yet. They have had to slash prices 3 times now its not very positive since they will end up having miscreant students wrecking it cause its that cheap now.

It still wont be full though it was 65% capacity last year, but I mean good for you, you could get a totally new room :wink: Good for ya have a great year lets hope you get into Leeds :biggrin:

I just dont want to hear a news story next year of a fresher being mugged due to being on there own, so please try to be with others as much as possible :smile: Would not want that on anyone especially a fellow TSR member :frown:
Reply 156
quick question....on the unite website, is opal 3 the same as sky plaza?
RoseDavie
quick question....on the unite website, is opal 3 the same as sky plaza?

UNITE does not run Opal properties they are run by Opal, is that what you meant?

Or do you mean whats the difference?

Sky Plaza is brand new and is a high class development very pricey very modern decor, totally different to Opal 3 not in the same competition group its much higher end market.

If you wanted to know the UNITE equivalent to Opal 3 that is Concept Place, Tannery or The Plaza. Sky Plaza is linked to The Plaza but is the tower next to it and is the really expensive one.
Struggling to decide between Oxley,JBP and Leodis. Self catered, en suite. Enjoy going out and drinking/partying but also love my sports.
Anyone have some good info on James Baillie Park or Leodis?

Thanks in advance! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest