The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Its not advisable to apply for something which requires a grade higher than what you can achieve. (Look here.)

As for Hull, you should email them directly for clarification.
Reply 2
Jackblahblahblah
for a course that I don't meet the entry standards for? I want to do English Literature, and all my choices so far are courses where I meet the grades. I have BBC, and A in General Studies, and Leicester wants AAB, with one of the As being from English and they accept General. Of all of the 'top' 15 or unis it's the only one I'm somewhat close to grade-wise, aside from Loughborough I think. I know of some people who do English there and ended up getting a B in English rather than an A, but I know it's a competitive course, and wonder if, since I have my grades already, I'd just be instantly rejected. Thanks a lot for any help.

Oh, and the ucas site says Hull wants a B in English which is what I've been going on, but I've just seen on the subject leaflet on their site that they want an A. Thanks again for any help! And I hope I haven't left it too late to actually send off my application, that would be bad.

No, it's not too late yet: link (also see the first post of this thread).
Email Leicester and Hull, explain your situation and ask them whether they'd consider your application. If they say yes, it might be worth a shot (provided you also have a few 'safer' choices whose grade requirements you do meet). I wouldn't recommend applying without checking with the universities first, though, because if they throw out your application without even looking at it you'll just have wasted two of your choices.
It would probably be a good idea to try and get this sorted out before Christmas, so you'll be able to make the equal consideration deadline on 15 January.
I agree with everything Hobnob has said but it is worth saying that a mere promise to consider your application is not worth a great deal; this can be achieved in ten seconds and is fulfilled when they formally see your grades and the application hits the bottom of the bin. People often make these sorts of assurance when they don't want to be the bearer of bad news. What you want is some form of confidence, from your discussion, that they will look beyond the grades and genuinely consider you. You'll only get this confidence from a sensible and reasonably detailed discussion about your case and you should avoid a conversation that goes long the lines of: Would you consider me? Yes. Thank you very much, yippee!
Reply 4
Good bloke
I agree with everything Hobnob has said but it is worth saying that a mere promise to consider your application is not worth a great deal; this can be achieved in ten seconds and is fulfilled when they formally see your grades and the application hits the bottom of the bin. People often make these sorts of assurance when they don't want to be the bearer of bad news. What you want is some form of confidence, from your discussion, that they will look beyond the grades and genuinely consider you. You'll only get this confidence from a sensible and reasonably detailed discussion about your case and you should avoid a conversation that goes long the lines of: Would you consider me? Yes. Thank you very much, yippee!

Yes, very true. Thanks for pointing that out, GB.:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending