The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Egypt
My understanding as a general rule of thumb is that gillick competant or not a child can not refuse a treatment, they can only consent to it. If they did refuse and they were competent then all the legal wrangles would ensue, asuming it wa felt to be in the childs best interests.

Like the 13 year old who refused a heart transplant, went through the whole legal battle, and then decided she did actually want it... :rolleyes:
Reply 21
foamyfruit
It's not that A, B, C-in general cases the parents views are taken into high account, however there have been cases where doctors can take the parents to court, but if you think about it..if an emergency bt was needed, by the time thats all organised and you've gone to the emergency court, or legal help..it could be fatal.

In cases of children yes, just for completness sake in adult cases the views of family should he heard, but not necessarily accounted. You can go to court retropectively, in emergency cases anyway you can do and ask questions later. There are emergency judges literally on call - they have in the past woken people up to make decisions.
Sakura-Chan
Let say it was just a clear cut case of the baby needs a transfusion. What if then the parents said they wanted nothing to do with the child if the medical staff go ahead with it, and were 100% serious?

I'm guessing they'd do it and call social services after if the parents still didn't want their child any more? (A bit far fetched perhaps, just wondering :smile:)

Yup tho trying to presuade the parents its in the best interest of the child rather than ring just go and ring social services. It likely after a few days of being at home without their child theyd want it back anyway
oh ffs! I wish i read this thread before yesterday when i had my interview, they asked what i would do if parents refused treatment if baby's life was at risk and i was like ..ermm.. im not sure ...and they said you could take it to court and the judge decided

Latest

Trending

Trending