The Student Room Group

working hours over summer

Help me! I'm applying online for a part-time job as a sales-assistant, and have been asked what hours I'd be available to work. During school time I'd want weekend work, but I'm trying to explain that over the summer holiday, I'd be able to work on more days...but I don't want to be working every day, since it wouldn't leave me much of a holiday!

So, what should I put? and how do i word it so I don't sound picky?
thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
~nat~
Help me! I'm applying online for a part-time job as a sales-assistant, and have been asked what hours I'd be available to work. During school time I'd want weekend work, but I'm trying to explain that over the summer holiday, I'd be able to work on more days...but I don't want to be working every day, since it wouldn't leave me much of a holiday!

So, what should I put? and how do i word it so I don't sound picky?
thanks in advance :smile:

As it is a part-time position that you're applying for, they probably aren't looking for someone to work every day anyway. I would suggest that you state how many hours a week you are available, as opposed to explaining that you don't want to work every day. So, just write 'I am available 20 (or however many hours you want to work) a week'. You could also put that you are flexible in terms of which days you are available.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Peach
As it is a part-time position that you're applying for, they probably aren't looking for someone to work every day anyway. I would suggest that you state how many hours a week you are available, as opposed to explaining that you don't want to work every day. So, just write 'I am available 20 (or however many hours you want to work) a week'. You could also put that you are flexible in terms of which days you are available.

Hope this helps :smile:

thats a good idea! But it says state it in terms of how many days and evenings per week... I don't know how to phrase it without looking very inflexible! I wouldn't want to work more than 4 days a week, so should i just say that I can work weekends plus two days per week?
Reply 3
~nat~
thats a good idea! But it says state it in terms of how many days and evenings per week... I don't know how to phrase it without looking very inflexible! I wouldn't want to work more than 4 days a week, so should i just say that I can work weekends plus two days per week?

I think it's absolutely fine to say that you can work weekends and two days per week.

If you don't specify that you can only work certain days in the week, but leave it open, you will still be showing flexibility :smile:
Reply 4
Peach
I think it's absolutely fine to say that you can work weekends and two days per week.

If you don't specify that you can only work certain days in the week, but leave it open, you will still be showing flexibility :smile:

thanks for your help hun. Its the first job im applying for, its got loads of questions to answer, so i dont want to fall at the first hurdle by seeming really choosy!
Tell them that you want to work weekends, but if you get the job, a few weeks in ask them can you possibly have a few more hours during the week, say an extra day or two, just for the holidays. Itd be great if i could do two extra days. But my manager hates me. So its out of the question :biggrin:
Maybe you could put it as something like, you are available to cover for people's Summer holidays when needed- that way you might do a few full weeks but not the whole Summer?
Reply 7
Just say what you told us, they aren't stupid, they will understand your situation
Reply 8
thanks for your help guys!
as wackojacko said, they'll understand my situation - hopefully :p:
Reply 9
~nat~
thanks for your help hun. Its the first job im applying for, its got loads of questions to answer, so i dont want to fall at the first hurdle by seeming really choosy!

I'm happy to help with the other questions if you need it :smile:
Reply 10
Peach
I'm happy to help with the other questions if you need it :smile:

oh bless you, thanks very much! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending