The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Conservation? Should be able to find out quite easily by doing a search on the internet. Specifically, what bio degree? General biology, or something more specific such as Zoology or Micorobioloy etc?
Reply 2
Fleff
Conservation? Should be able to find out quite easily by doing a search on the internet. Specifically, what bio degree? General biology, or something more specific such as Zoology or Micorobioloy etc?

I've heard about that, thanks - I'll do a search.

Sorry, I should have said! Either a straight biology degree or a biochemistry degree.
Reply 3
you could become a professional quadrat thrower... you'll see what i mean if you ever go on a bio field trip

*cringes!*
Reply 4
BIOCHEMISTRY... it's amazing!!!

Soz, i'm very biased on this
Reply 5
Revenged
you could become a professional quadrat thrower... you'll see what i mean if you ever go on a bio field trip

*cringes!*

Throwing isn't allowed it you want it to be random though!! :rolleyes: :p:
Reply 6
Fleff
Throwing isn't allowed it you want it to be random though!! :rolleyes: :p:

"random" (1 mark)
Reply 7
lol... very true m'dear!

nothing is truely random tho... apart from perhaps me
Reply 8
Yep, will be going on a field trip next year... you've got me all excited now! :p:

I was thinking helping endangered species? Would that be more vet med or bio?
Final_F, what are your thoughts on becomming researcher? Just that from what you're studying, and from what I know, science agencies/companies often look for people with knowledge in the biochemistry field - and they're paid well too! :smile:

Just an extra idea there for you to know,

DB_x
Reply 10
danni_bella83
Final_F, what are your thoughts on becomming researcher? Just that from what you're studying, and from what I know, science agencies/companies often look for people with knowledge in the biochemistry field - and they're paid well too! :smile:

Just an extra idea there for you to know,

DB_x

I dunno really as I don't know a lot about what it would involve. What kind of popular areas of research do people do into?
Reply 11
If you're interested in educating yourself about different job fields, I recommend the DfES's website >> http://www.connexions-direct.com/jobs4u/jobfamily/sciencemathematicsandstatistics/biochemist.cfm?id=1506&pagenumber=0&sr&keywords=Biochemist&jobInvolves=&jobInterest=&jobQualifications=&WhenHours=&workplace=&reorder=titleasc&jobfam=
That link will go directly to a biochemist's job description. Very useful.
Reply 12
If you want to avoid the lab, but want to do something biology related, what about scientific writing, or working in a science based agency - i.e. DeFRA, FSA, DoH.

there are plenty of non-lab biol jobs about. Getting a higher degree will open more up to you.
Reply 13
I work for DEFRA as a research scientist. Generally the 'desk jobs' are not that exciting, or that scientific. The downside of being a civil service scientist is the pay - it's dismal!!!

The upside to civil service scientific positions are that they're permanent. In research, that's a bit of a rarity. Most positions are fixed-term contracts of a couple of years or so. Not so great when you want a mortgage!
Reply 14
aalish
I work for DEFRA as a research scientist. Generally the 'desk jobs' are not that exciting, or that scientific. The downside of being a civil service scientist is the pay - it's dismal!!!

The upside to civil service scientific positions are that they're permanent. In research, that's a bit of a rarity. Most positions are fixed-term contracts of a couple of years or so. Not so great when you want a mortgage!

What grade are you on? SO? HSO? SSO? DEFRA money isn't bad - certainly better than the FSA!
Reply 15
Fluffy
What grade are you on? SO? HSO? SSO? DEFRA money isn't bad - certainly better than the FSA!

I'm in one of the executive agencies and my post is kind of equivalent to SO as far as I can tell. Core DEFRA get paid so much more... :frown: Not even a hint of a payrise yet this year. The union are supposedly having "discussions" with management. Here's hoping...

Latest

Trending

Trending