The Student Room Group

Should I take stuff out of my CV?

With regard to skills I have listed a lot of stuff I have done, but I am much better at some things than others, so I should I take out the stuff I am not so good at the stuff I am good at will stand out more?

Its been 1.5 months now and I still have not had any response from the 5 jobs I have applied (though to be fair 2 of them still haven't closed).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
AT82
With regard to skills I have listed a lot of stuff I have done, but I am much better at some things than others, so I should I take out the stuff I am not so good at the stuff I am good at will stand out more?

Its been 1.5 months now and I still have not had any response from the 5 jobs I have applied (though to be fair 2 of them still haven't closed).

I guess it depends how relevant they are. Are they skills that a prospective employer might be interested in? If so I'd be tempted to leave them in, I mean, its can't hurt to show extra skills.

How long (as in pages) is your cv at the minute?
Reply 2
Its two pages, this is the specific problem, just for the programming skills I have this

Programming - Active Server Pages (ASP), PHP, HTML, CSS, C++, C#.NET. VB.NET, VBA, Java and SQL. I also have experience in XML web services.

Although I can program in all of them, my expertise areas are C#/VB.NET, HTML, CSS and PHP. So if the job is say a PHP job do you think it might look like I know a bit about everything but not expert in anything?

I have a lot more skills listed but its the programming bit I am worried about as employers want experts in a limited area rather than somebody that knows a bit about everything.

Sorry about the woffle :smile:
Reply 3
AT82

call them, e-mail them, visit them, you neer to show you want that job you are hunting for. don't just sit back and wait. for the CV its best to be 1-2pages

5 jobs application is too little usually, try to apply to 20-40 companies (don't know where u are thinking of applying and what level though)
Reply 4
Neocortex
call them, e-mail them, visit them, you neer to show you want that job you are hunting for. don't just sit back and wait. for the CV its best to be 1-2pages

5 jobs application is too little usually, try to apply to 20-40 companies (don't know where u are thinking of applying and what level though)

Yep I know 5 applications is not many, but I least expected to have one interview by now. Statisticaly I need to apply for 33 jobs before I get a job but thats a bit meaningless as it dosn't work like that.
Reply 5
http://careerweb.leeds.ac.uk/students/applications/index.asp

Try here (ok its the Leeds version, but I found it quite helpful, and I've been offered an interview for every job I've applied for so I must be doing something right with my cv!!) If you click cancel when it asks for authorisation you can still view the examples
Reply 6
Ditzy
http://careerweb.leeds.ac.uk/students/applications/index.asp

Try here (ok its the Leeds version, but I found it quite helpful, and I've been offered an interview for every job I've applied for so I must be doing something right with my cv!!) If you click cancel when it asks for authorisation you can still view the examples

Thanks I need to rep you, you're always very helpful, I will rep you tomorrow when it becomes free.
Reply 7
You could consider ranking your skills the way you rank languages to emphasis which ones you are most proficient in. I wouldn't take anything off though! You never know exactly what they are looking for. The ranking system doesn't need to be advanced, a simple "excellent, good, competent" will do, or specify where you learned the skills and to what level. Generally, though, your "employment" or "education" section should list all your skills according to where you learned them and how you developed them. A skills summary at the end of your CV should just make it easy for the reviewer to compare your skills to the job description. They will assume that anything you haven't mentioned in detail earlier in the CV is just basic working knowledge. Good luck! Job hunting sucks, shame we all have to do it!!
Reply 8
I think part of the problem is these jobserve type sites. I am starting to think that most of th jobs do not exist, when I ever apply via university or the job centre I get some kind of response, with the jobs on there I get nothing.

I am going to write to companies and just use sources I trust instead. It takes a good 30 minutes to apply for these jobs, so I am not wasting my time applying for jobs that don't exist.
Reply 9
Oh dear, mostly pretty useless advice given here I feel.....

I don't even know what's on your CV, but at 2 pages it is too long already, especially since you're going for your first job. Shorten it, cut out any irrelevant crap, and make sure any covering letters are specific to the company and job you are applying for. Don't put all your GCSEs and A-levels in a list taking up half the page, or things like that - keep it all proportional to importance.

Applying to up to 10 companies carefully is better than mass mailing 50 companies without a thought as to whether you'd fit into that company. This is where so many people go wrong as its plainly obvious they either don't care if they work for that company, or are just desperate for a job somewhere.

Have you not thought of a recruitment agency, or using your university's careers advice service? Have you taken any advice at all other than from a bunch of anonymous students on an internet forum?
Reply 10
Are you kidding. 5 and you expect to have an interview by now no offence but your sites are set way too high. 33 apps per person doesn't even take into account where you live and stuff. You are near manchester where there are tons of unis and tons and tons of skilled graduates who want to stay in that area. As my mum says to me. When you've applied for 150 and not got an interview then you can moan.

Most graduate places don't send out rejection letters anymore unless you are interviewed and most won't give feedback.
Have you ever had your cv looked at by a professional?
A 2 page CV is pretty much standard for agraduate if you've had work experience and pervious jobs.
But I do agree with the above poster in that you need to personalise your applications but you still need to apply to loads.
Reply 11
AT82

us sorts in the computing field have next to no chance in most cases.

its saturated. i should have my degree this time next year but i doubt i'll get a job quickly from it.
Reply 12
There is this masters which my mates got on and I reckon I can get a place on it, it basicaly involves setting up a science/technology company and studying the relevant subject to masters level. He is getting a rather nice busery do you reckon it might be an idea to this? I do have an idea which may get me on the course but it will mean studying electrical engineering to masters level and I am not sure I am ready for this yet.

I know a few people from my course who have got good jobs now. I am going down to my careers office tommorrow anyway.

Also with regards to careers officers I have had such bad experience of them I would rather take advice form an 11 year old.
Reply 13
You don't know that they've got as good jobs as they say they have though. Alot of poeple say they have grad jobs when they don't.

I wouldn't do a masters in the hope it'll improve your employment prospects quite often they don't and they are expensive, only do it if you are really really interested in it.

you need to minimise your school qualifications onyour CV I don;t know how you've got them atm but I imagine they could be part of your problem.
Reply 14
might just be a case of getting one or two crappy jobs that are as closely related to where you want to be as possible and grafting it for a few years.

then the good jobs and good money comes within reach.
Reply 15
viviki
You don't know that they've got as good jobs as they say they have though. Alot of poeple say they have grad jobs when they don't.

I wouldn't do a masters in the hope it'll improve your employment prospects quite often they don't and they are expensive, only do it if you are really really interested in it.

you need to minimise your school qualifications onyour CV I don;t know how you've got them atm but I imagine they could be part of your problem.

This masters leads to setting up your own companies with help from different government sources, he is getting paid £80 a week and he gets all his fees paid, he got a 2:2 (although he got 58%) as well.

For my GCSEs, I have just put 7 GCSES (5 Cs, and 3 Ds) so I can't really shorten that.

I ask the careers service to look at it at the moment, I am not looking for a graduate level job, its just that a lot of them in the area I am looking for seem to be. I applied for a part time web development job today for 2 days a week so if I got that I would be happy, I can then do other stuff on my days off like work in a supermarket, DJ'ing etc.

I know its a common problem, I have a cousin in Newcastle trying to find work in the finance sector, he's had to interviews but no jobs despite having a decent degree.
Reply 16
technik
might just be a case of getting one or two crappy jobs that are as closely related to where you want to be as possible and grafting it for a few years.

then the good jobs and good money comes within reach.

Yep I have applied for a couple of part time positions, one turned me down, the other I have just applied for, it would be great if I got that job as its just 10 minute bus ride away.
Reply 17
Just put 7 GCSEs don't put in grades unless they ask and in your covering letters emphasise how much you have improved since going to university mention the projects you did well in and your grades in them and the literacy and numeracy skills you gained during your degree. If you havea good working webpage where you've done projects maybe provide a link to it so it acts as a portfolio. Spell and grammar check them to a very high standard too.
Reply 18
AT82
This masters leads to setting up your own companies with help from different government sources, he is getting paid £80 a week and he gets all his fees paid, he got a 2:2 (although he got 58%) as well.

For my GCSEs, I have just put 7 GCSES (5 Cs, and 3 Ds) so I can't really shorten that.

I ask the careers service to look at it at the moment, I am not looking for a graduate level job, its just that a lot of them in the area I am looking for seem to be. I applied for a part time web development job today for 2 days a week so if I got that I would be happy, I can then do other stuff on my days off like work in a supermarket, DJ'ing etc.

I know its a common problem, I have a cousin in Newcastle trying to find work in the finance sector, he's had to interviews but no jobs despite having a decent degree.

a good start would be making sure you dont write down 7 when you appear to have 8 GCSEs. they wont take on someone who cant count :wink:

call centres (yes i know they are ***** and annoy everyone) can be a good job to get. its often easy to find ones that are IT related or support based in some way. it also seems to be easy to get really boring jobs like "data inputter" and the like. but again its IT based. doing that might add another dimension to your skills block and will look better than having absolutely NIL experience in anything in IT. for the first year or two its really about taking any crappy job thats IT based that comes along.
Reply 19
technik
a good start would be making sure you dont write down 7 when you appear to have 8 GCSEs. they wont take on someone who cant count :wink:

call centres (yes i know they are ***** and annoy everyone) can be a good job to get. its often easy to find ones that are IT related or support based in some way. doing that might add another dimension to your skills block. for the first year or two its really about taking any crappy job thats IT based that comes along.

No it does say 8, I am tired and made that mistake here.

Call centre jobs are very unsuitable for becuase of my hearing, I can use the phone but I find it very difficult, while this is fine for jobs involving casual phone work, i.e phoning a different department I would be useless at taking on incoming calls.

I have thought about applying for I.T technicians jobs but I have not yet seen one thats not in a school and I am not sure if this would do any good for my CV long term.

Latest

Trending

Trending