The Student Room Group

Glasgow or Strathy for Chemistry

Okay, now that i've been rejected by pharmacy I've chosen to go ahead and do a chemistry degree. I'm either going to Glasgow or Strathy, but i don't know which uni is better for sciences especially chemistry. Some people say glasgow's better, others say strathy is better.

But which is the better uni for Chemistry. Glasgow may be internationally renowned but i'm talking in specifics for a specific course.

Scroll to see replies

ive looked into this. seeing as i am applying for the same course at you :wink:

and glasgow.

strathclyde just isnt as good for chemistry.
its research is alright yeah, but on the whole glasgow is better.

better respected, more chance of job at the end...

yeah. glasgow.
Reply 2
LouisVuitton43
ive looked into this. seeing as i am applying for the same course at you :wink:

and glasgow.

strathclyde just isnt as good for chemistry.
its research is alright yeah, but on the whole glasgow is better.

better respected, more chance of job at the end...

yeah. glasgow.

Hmmm cool, thanks for the reply. But are there any statistics??
Z_Ahmed
Hmmm cool, thanks for the reply. But are there any statistics??

yeah..
the league table on the times...
http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php?AC_sub=Chemistry&sub=14&x=19&y=12

glasgows 10th
strathclyde 12th

but apparently these mean nothing...

well...
my teacher said to me to always remember strathy was once a college.
and its considered a better degree if you get it from glasgow...
but actually, unless you are planning to do a phd.. youd probs be good at either uni...

where you WANT to go should give you some indication :p:

which one is closer to you as well?
Reply 5
LouisVuitton43
but actually, unless you are planning to do a phd.. youd probs be good at either uni...

where you WANT to go should give you some indication :p:

which one is closer to you as well?

Strathy's closer to me... And I wouldn't mind going to either to be honest. Both are cool.
Reply 6
LouisVuitton43
yeah..
the league table on the times...
http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php?AC_sub=Chemistry&sub=14&x=19&y=12

glasgows 10th
strathclyde 12th

but apparently these mean nothing...

well...
my teacher said to me to always remember strathy was once a college.
and its considered a better degree if you get it from glasgow...

They are two places apart for gods sake. It would make little difference if you went to either uni, 6 and half a dozen, op. If it were me I'd be looking at the course content and where the unis are.
Z_Ahmed
Strathy's closer to me... And I wouldn't mind going to either to be honest. Both are cool.

hmmm.
well...
depends what condition they slap on it :p:

firm the higher up one and insurance the lower?

cos they are just as good really...
whatever the higher offer take as the "better uni" as they will have more applicants per place.

now im just talking rubbish :rolleyes:
Reply 8
LouisVuitton43
hmmm.
well...
depends what condition they slap on it :p:

firm the higher up one and insurance the lower?

cos they are just as good really...
whatever the higher offer take as the "better uni" as they will have more applicants per place.

now im just talking rubbish :rolleyes:

Just because a university has higher entry requirements doesn't mean it's "better". Take Aberdeen for example, for courses like History they're probably "better" than Strathclyde who require higher grades.
pamelaa
Just because a university has higher entry requirements doesn't mean it's "better". Take Aberdeen for example, for courses like History they're probably "better" than Strathclyde who require higher grades.

i was slightly taking the piss :rolleyes:
i even said it was a load of rubbish :p:

and i said above that OP would be fine at either uni...
s'up to him :smile:
For god sake's don't use league tables. Go to an open day, think about what you want to do and what you want to experience during uni and then make up your mind.

FYI - some of the GU chem lecturers are hilarious :smile:
Reply 11
LouisVuitton43
i was slightly taking the piss :rolleyes:
i even said it was a load of rubbish :p:

and i said above that OP would be fine at either uni...
s'up to him :smile:

Ohh.. but you weren't!
Reply 12
Hmm yeah, the conditions will also make a slight contribution to my decision. Though Glasgow is taking awfully long. I'll hear back from them in march, but considering I exceed their prospectus offer, i'm not really worried.
pamelaa
Ohh.. but you weren't!

i was... :s-smilie:
i think i know what i mean seeing as im the one who said it :rolleyes:
Reply 14
Guy's dont argue plz.
Reply 15
Z_Ahmed
Guy's dont argue plz.

She was giving unhelpful advice which needed to be corrected, sorry for taking over your thread!

Like I said, you need to look at the course content for both, and where the unis are - the west end is very different from the centre of town.
Reply 16
I appreciate both your responses equally. Thanks.
Please, God, don't use league tables. Also, entry requirements only indicate the popularity of a course, not the quality.

Look at the course itself, look at the degree structure, look at the locations, at the facilities provided, the accommodation, the clubs and societies on offer, etc.
Reply 18
Eyes
I went to the Chemistry open day at Glasgow and Strathclyde. I personally felt that Strathclyde's course was better, but that's only my opinion. All the staff seem really friendly and approachable even though I never got the chance to speak to them. Strathclyde seemed to enjoy boasting about how their Chemistry courses are accredited by the Royal Society of Chemistry while Glasgow's are only recognised. :teehee:

Whether that actually means much, I don't know but Strathclyde seems pretty content with it.

This is what recognition etc. mean
http://www.rsc.org/Membership/join/AccreditedCourses/index.asp
It's sort of important in that if you want to do a job in chemistry as any half decent course should be recognised. If it's not then it probably doesn't have very much chemistry in it or has poor academic standards.

The difference between recognised and accredited usually boils down to whether it's a BSc or MSci/MChem so Strathclyde's (and Glasgow's) BSc degrees are recognised but their MSci degrees are accredited (despite what Strathclyde said).
maxPP
This is what recognition etc. mean
http://www.rsc.org/Membership/join/AccreditedCourses/index.asp
It's sort of important in that if you want to do a job in chemistry as any half decent course should be recognised. If it's not then it probably doesn't have very much chemistry in it or has poor academic standards.

The difference between recognised and accredited usually boils down to whether it's a BSc or MSci/MChem so Strathclyde's (and Glasgow's) BSc degrees are recognised but their MSci degrees are accredited (despite what Strathclyde said).

thanks for that!
i got worried as i chose glasgow for chemistry and then realised this...

Quick Reply

Latest