The Student Room Group

access to nursing/healthcare - are you doing it/did you do it?

just wanted to know if anyone else is going/havs gone in to nursing via this route (inperticular child nursing).

i will be starting a access to nursing course in sept (well it is conditional on admin test). and i wanted to know people experiences;

- how did you find it?
- what unis you applyin to? and for which courses?
- if you did one - is it proving helpful with your course.

it is scary doing an access course this year because all the nursing diplomas are turning into degrees so i think they will be a lot harder to get into. also do you have any thoughts on this?
Reply 1
I'm doing an access course right now. I'm finding it challenging but really interesting. I won't lie it is a lot of hard work but if your organised very do able. I've listed the unis in my sig. Personally i'm applying for mental health. I think its very helpful because we are being prepared for university and if there was one thing i could say is most useful its being taught referencing.

I'm not sure it makes it a lot harder, since access courses are equivilant to 2 alevels i believe you need to get 45 credits at level 3 to do the degree i could be wrong.

If i can answer anymore questions i would be happy to :smile:

good luck with the access course
Reply 2
phoebo
I'm doing an access course right now. I'm finding it challenging but really interesting. I won't lie it is a lot of hard work but if your organised very do able. I've listed the unis in my sig. Personally i'm applying for mental health. I think its very helpful because we are being prepared for university and if there was one thing i could say is most useful its being taught referencing.

I'm not sure it makes it a lot harder, since access courses are equivilant to 2 alevels i believe you need to get 45 credits at level 3 to do the degree i could be wrong.

If i can answer anymore questions i would be happy to :smile:

good luck with the access course

thanks for that :smile:
what qualifications did youhave before the access course? GCSEs? Alevels? i personally have a BTEC in musical theatre and 7GCSEs.
Reply 3
i had gcses but thats it lol
Reply 4
phoebo
i had gcses but thats it lol

wow you have done really well then. congrdulations on your offers :smile:
Reply 5
hi,
I’m doing access to nursing at the moment, like phoebo said it is challenging but very interesting. For me I believe that it has helped me to refresh my abilities in maths and English. I have also learnt many aspects in nursing, what their roles are, day to day activities etc....more over the psychological aspects to nursing such as how to handle stress, personality etc.
I’ve currently applied to London Southbank University, Middlesex University, City University and Kings University. And I have applied to study Adult nursing as it has a wide range of opportunities.
People that I have talked to that have done the access course are saying that everything u do in the access course would help u in great depth in university, coz apparently everything u learn in the access course is done all over to an extent.
Hope that helps...
Gd luck XxX
Reply 6
shelly_b
hi,
I’m doing access to nursing at the moment, like phoebo said it is challenging but very interesting. For me I believe that it has helped me to refresh my abilities in maths and English. I have also learnt many aspects in nursing, what their roles are, day to day activities etc....more over the psychological aspects to nursing such as how to handle stress, personality etc.
I’ve currently applied to London Southbank University, Middlesex University, City University and Kings University. And I have applied to study Adult nursing as it has a wide range of opportunities.
People that I have talked to that have done the access course are saying that everything u do in the access course would help u in great depth in university, coz apparently everything u learn in the access course is done all over to an extent.
Hope that helps...
Gd luck XxX

thanks for that. have got any offers yet? what did you do before your access course (eg GCSEs, Alevels)?

at the college i have applied to for my access course last year there were 70 people on the course. 65 applied to uni and 60 got offers with the access and most of them only applied to the local uni. so it sounds like unis really like access or access is good prep for nursing. either way it is positive.

Latest

Trending

Trending