The Student Room Group

Now I know, where shall I go?

First off, my title rhymes! :biggrin:

Now, to the important stuff: [all including and A in maths and physics, except for the obvious last choice)
In the UK, my top choice is Southampton (AAA) Electrical Engineering.
My second choice is Manchester (AAB) same as above
(in no order:smile:
Surrey (AAB)
Warwick (BBB) [bEng where all others are mEng]

In the US, I only got into (/3) Smith College. (unconditional).

In Canada, I got into (in order of choice):
Waterloo Engineering (CCC)
McGill Engineering (unconditional - I have to graduate)
Waterloo Business Honours (CC) [I applied here since I could, this is my bottom choice, out of ALL)

Oh, and I'm currently on an AABB (BUT, I know for certain that at least one of the As can become an A* and both of the B's can be As)

My question - where should I go? I want Southampton, but I've kept my options opened - what do you think?
Reply 1
I can honestly say you can comfortably mark off Smith College from your list and decide between institutions listed for either the UK or Canada. I know other TSR users can better assist you on that end with what uni's are better.
Reply 2
:smile: I'd decided that already... thank you, though! :biggrin:
Reply 3
McGill has a very high academic reputation and is in Montreal - large amazingly fun bilingual city. The university is right downtown where all the action is.
Waterloo is a smaller university in a smaller university town very well known for it's computer sciences. Bill Gates used to show up fairly regularly recruiting talent...
So partly depends on where you want to live - stay in the UK, or have a very unique international experience. Big city? Small town? Big Univ? Small univ? Also depends on what you want to do next... academia? industry?
I can't tell you anything about the universities in the UK, but I studied at McGill and it's absolutely great. You will be at an excellent university, but also in a perfect city for students. It's not a small town, so you will have all the advantages of a big city. You will get extremely cheap housing (my room was 400 CAD a month and I lived in the best neighbourhood), living costs aren't high either and there are loads of students. Montreal is a city that organizes A LOT. There are a lot of festivals there, like the world known Jazz fest, nuit blanche/Montreal en lumiere, just for laughs, etc.
Reply 5
I have heard that Waterloo is not the greatest place to live. Do either Southampton or Manchester offer study abroad opportunities - maybe you could have your cake and eat it?

Latest

Trending

Trending