The Student Room Group

LSE have I any chance?

I have always wanted the chance to study in London and although I know little about LSE from what i have interpreted from different websites it is a well renowned University.

However on looking at the entry requirements they don't seem any higher than quite a lot of other universities, and i am therefore wondering do they take a lot more consideration into the grades achieved at GCSE? If so, are straight A's an essential?

In my GCSE's I achieved an A* in Maths, 4 A grades in English Lit, Geography, Religion, Spanish and 5 B grades in English Language, Additional Maths, Business Studies and Double Award Science.

My biggest regret is how bad these grades are as I could have achieved much higher, at present i am studying for my AS grades in Maths, Physics, Business Studies and ICT. Further Maths is not offered at my school.

Would it therefore be a waste of a choice on UCAS applying to LSE? Even if I do get A's in my AS and A levels?

I would like to study Accountancy or Actuarial Science at University.

Scroll to see replies

you could self teach further maths and apply to other college's around your area as a private candidate. it's definately improve your chances of getting into LSE to do accountancy if you did FM.
Reply 2
Casshern1456
you could self teach further maths and apply to other college's around your area as a private candidate. it's definitely improve your chances of getting into LSE to do accountancy if you did FM.

So Further Maths is more or less essential?
With LSE it seems to be the case that their 'requirements' or typical offers are actually nowhere near to what someone needs to get an offer. It's a bit misleading. I've seen people get rejected with literally perfect grades/subject choices (even for the supposedly less competitive courses), often people with Oxbridge offers :shock:

Your GSCEs do seem a bit low from what I've observed this cycle (& LSE are known for being GCSE nazis unfortunately), but if you do really well at AS (ie. straight As or very close to that) then you might have a chance. Just remember that LSE is ridiculously competitive and that Business Studies/ICT (especially without FM) probably aren't the most desirable subjects. Still, it's only one choice out of five, so it might be worth the risk if you've got your heart set on it :h:
bell464
So Further Maths is more or less essential?

well i'd prefer FM over physics for Accountancy or Actuarial Science. make sure your not putting to much pressure on yourself, but LSE will definitely value FM over any other subject.
Reply 5
Casshern1456
well i'd prefer FM over physics for Accountancy or Actuarial Science. make sure your not putting to much pressure on yourself, but LSE will definitely value FM over any other subject.

I will look into a way of doing further maths outside of school.
Also are LSE very concerned about volunteer work?
As I have been told in school that if there is no mention of volunteering in your personal statement many universities won't even consider your application.
bell464
I have always wanted the chance to study in London and although I know little about LSE from what i have interpreted from different websites it is a well renowned University.

However on looking at the entry requirements they don't seem any higher than quite a lot of other universities, and i am therefore wondering do they take a lot more consideration into the grades achieved at GCSE? If so, are straight A's an essential?

In my GCSE's I achieved an A* in Maths, 4 A grades in English Lit, Geography, Religion, Spanish and 5 B grades in English Language, Additional Maths, Business Studies and Double Award Science.

My biggest regret is how bad these grades are as I could have achieved much higher, at present i am studying for my AS grades in Maths, Physics, Business Studies and ICT. Further Maths is not offered at my school.

Would it therefore be a waste of a choice on UCAS applying to LSE? Even if I do get A's in my AS and A levels?

Whether or not your GCSE's is acceptable is partially dependent on the course you apply to and the secondary school you went to (i.e % of students who get top GCSE grades).

With regards to further maths, when you apply to the LSE let the uni know that your school does not offer F Maths as a subject. It would look good if you decide to do f-maths yourself as F-maths for actuarial science is highly recommended.

Also make sure that if you decide to drop a subject next year that it is either business studies or ICT as if you drop maths or physics your subject combination will not be accepted.

Also you don't need to do volunteer work in order to put it in your personal statement many people have got into the LSE without mentioning volunteer work in their PS.
bell464
I will look into a way of doing further maths outside of school.
Also are LSE very concerned about volunteer work?
As I have been told in school that if there is no mention of volunteering in your personal statement many universities won't even consider your application.

i don't know if that necessarily is true, i've certainly known people who did little or no volunteer work but still got offers from LSE (&UCL). Ofcourse having volunteering work would do you no harm in your personal statment, the most important thing is for you to get good grades at A-level because your gcse's are at a slight disadvantage amongst a very competitive course.
Casshern1456
i don't know if that necessarily is true, i've certainly known people who did little or no volunteer work but still got offers from LSE (&UCL). Ofcourse having volunteering work would do you no harm in your personal statment, the most important thing is for you to get good grades at A-level because your gcse's are at a slight disadvantage amongst a very competitive course.

I agree with the above post plus you can write a great personal statement without including anything on volunteer work. Plus LSE expects that 75% is about why you want to study the course and academic stuff then the other 25% is about extra curricular stuff (e.g music, sports, clubs e.t.c) you do.

Therefore I would focus more on why you want to study the course and your A level grades
bell464

Rubbish. Some kind of EC / work experience; yes, pretty necessary.
Reply 10
Chrisateen
Whether or not your GCSE's is acceptable is partially dependent on the course you apply to and the secondary school you went to (i.e % of students who get top GCSE grades).

With regards to further maths, when you apply to the LSE let the uni know that your school does not offer F Maths as a subject. It would look good if you decide to do f-maths yourself as F-maths for actuarial science is highly recommended.

Also make sure that if you decide to drop a subject next year that it is either business studies or ICT as if you drop maths or physics your subject combination will not be accepted.

Also you don't need to do volunteer work in order to put it in your personal statement many people have got into the LSE without mentioning volunteer work in their PS.

The School I go to is well renowned as a school of 'Academic Excellence' therefore you would think it would offer Further Maths!
Its an all girls catholic grammar.
Would the School I go to be taken into consideration by LSE?

I am more or less certain on dropping ICT at the end of this year as it is so boring.

So if I had A level Maths, Physics, Further Maths and Business Studies would this increase my chances?
Even though my GCSE grades are a disgrace.
bell464
The School I go to is well renowned as a school of 'Academic Excellence' therefore you would think it would offer Further Maths!
Its an all girls catholic grammar.
Would the School I go to be taken into consideration by LSE?

I am more or less certain on dropping ICT at the end of this year as it is so boring.

So if I had A level Maths, Physics, Further Maths and Business Studies would this increase my chances?
Even though my GCSE grades are a disgrace.

sorry not my reply but if you clicked on a certain Chrisateen:wink: you'd find your grades are okay for LSE(although your not apply for the same course as her it just goes to show LSE will consider certain individuals)

i think maths, F-maths, physics and business studies is a great combination for the courses you wanted to apply to but you would want to work hard to achieve the high grades so to improve your chances of getting into LSE.

just out of interest, does your school not offer Economics or something?:p:
Reply 12
bell464

You're taking 2 soft subjects and not taking Further Maths, the chances are heavily stacked against you. I wouldn't set my heart on studying at a top 5, or even top 10 university if I were you. Sorry :frown:
caroline147
With LSE it seems to be the case that their 'requirements' or typical offers are actually nowhere near to what someone needs to get an offer. It's a bit misleading. I've seen people get rejected with literally perfect grades/subject choices (even for the supposedly less competitive courses), often people with Oxbridge offers :shock:

Your GSCEs do seem a bit low from what I've observed this cycle (& LSE are known for being GCSE nazis unfortunately).

This - I received a rejection from LSE in this cycle. I emailed to receive feedback and it seems GCSEs were the problem with 5A*s and 5As. Although, as I'm doing IB I didn't have any AS levels to submit, so perhaps with good AS levels you'd have more of a chance.
Reply 14
Casshern1456
sorry not my reply but if you clicked on a certain Chrisateen:wink: you'd find your grades are okay for LSE(although your not apply for the same course as her it just goes to show LSE will consider certain individuals)

i think maths, F-maths, physics and business studies is a great combination for the courses you wanted to apply to but you would want to work hard to achieve the high grades so to improve your chances of getting into LSE.

just out of interest, does your school not offer Economics or something?:p:

Yes economics was an option i should have taken, i've now realised that. :frown:
I think from the general comments my GCSE grades have ruined my chances anyway. I think I would be better to apply to universities where I would have a better chance of getting accepted.
bell464
Yes economics was an option i should have taken, i've now realised that. :frown:
I think from the general comments my GCSE grades have ruined my chances anyway. I think I would be better to apply to universities where I would have a better chance of getting accepted.

you can't think like that, if you don't apply to LSE how will you know your going to be accepted or not- it's worth a try at least you'll have no regrets. Besides your gcse's are good, and i do mean it.:yep:

but obviously spread out your options, don't gamble and apply to the top 5 or something LSE can be 1/5 of your options and you'll still have 4/5 of your choices if LSE goes bust. worth a shot at least.:biggrin:
Reply 16
Casshern1456
you can't think like that, if you don't apply to LSE how will you know your going to be accepted or not- it's worth a try at least you'll have no regrets. Besides your gcse's are good, and i do mean it.:yep:

but obviously spread out your options, don't gamble and apply to the top 5 or something LSE can be 1/5 of your options and you'll still have 4/5 of your choices if LSE goes bust. worth a shot at least.:biggrin:

Thanks for the positive slant on things, however I don't think my final decisions have to be made just yet.
The personal statement side of things is another confusing matter.
My work experience has been every summer since the age of 13 in the accountancy department within the business my family have, is this worth mentioning/ any advantage?
bell464
Thanks for the positive slant on things, however I don't think my final decisions have to be made just yet.
The personal statement side of things is another confusing matter.
My work experience has been every summer since the age of 13 in the accountancy department within the business my family have, is this worth mentioning/ any advantage?

wow really:cool: yes it's worth mentioning, just a line will do it'll give them the impression you've done stuff outside school, and obviously starting early is a good thing.:p:
Reply 18
Casshern1456
wow really:cool: yes it's worth mentioning, just a line will do it'll give them the impression you've done stuff outside school, and obviously starting early is a good thing.:p:

Thanks for all the advice, in Northern Ireland the education system seems to be quite different and I'm also not so sure how this would work, although I know the A levels are the same, as they are English board exams. I don't know of anyone who has went to LSE from Northern Ireland.
It will probably turn out to be a waste of a choice as the chances are pretty low. But hey, I had worse o levels (even considering that I'm an international student) and I applied there. At first I thot I should've applied to unis like Bath/Bristol as my top choices but I wouldve got rejected by them anyway and I'm happy wid my Notts offer so I didnt lose anything. My cousin who studied there told me tht if you can write an excellent PS, mostly abt ur course you wud have a shot. But I'd say make sure u keep a mediump-tier uni in the 5. Choosing ur 5 will depend on ur AS grades I guess.

And I did write abt volunteerin, but u dont have to. It prolly helped me get accepted but I just wrote it cuz I couldnt think of anthing else. Just make sure u get some ecs on.

Latest

Trending

Trending