The Student Room Group

How to write GCSEs on a CV?

Ok, sorry if this is a stupid question, but im 16, and will be applying for part time jobs soon enough. The only qualification I actually have at the moment are GCSEs, but Im doing AS atm
What i want to ask is how do you write this on a CV? For the GCSEs, do you put all of the subjects in alphabetically order and their grades next to them, or just put 4 As, 2 Bs etc (thats not what i got btw :P).....I have no idea!
The other thing is would i put my AS subjects on, even though i dont have my results yet?

thank you
Reply 1
If you don't have the results yet then you do not have a qualification in AS. So that is a no to that query.
Reply 2
I just listed my GCSE subjects and grades and said; I'm currently doing my AS's in so and so. But once I get my A level results I'll probably just write "10 A*-C GCSE's" and write down my A-level results. :yep:
On my CV it's like this:

A*: Double Award Science (OCR)
A: English Literature (AQA), English Language (AQA), French (AQA)

etc.

Doesn't take up a lot of space, says all that needs to be said.
I don't even bother putting mine on my CV.
-kit-kat-
Ok, sorry if this is a stupid question, but im 16, and will be applying for part time jobs soon enough. The only qualification I actually have at the moment are GCSEs, but Im doing AS atm
What i want to ask is how do you write this on a CV? For the GCSEs, do you put all of the subjects in alphabetically order and their grades next to them, or just put 4 As, 2 Bs etc (thats not what i got btw :P).....I have no idea!
The other thing is would i put my AS subjects on, even though i dont have my results yet?

thank you

I say, put your GCSEs down in alphabetical order

eg

English Language A
English Literature A
Maths A*
Science A*

Etc

But only if they're good, no point writing down that you did terribly at GCSEs and only passed 2 at E grade...

And mention you're at college doing AS levels and maneiton the predicited grades but don't make it as big on the page...
Reply 6
MHorman

eg

English Language A
English Literature A
Maths A*
Science A*

Etc

But only if they're good, no point writing down that you did terribly at GCSEs and only passed 2 at E grade...

And mention you're at college doing AS levels and maneiton the predicited grades but don't make it as big on the page...

OK thank you, I'll do that :smile:

and btw thats kinda wierd...I didnt think I had put my GCSE results on TSR, but those four you listed are exactly what I got in those subjects... :o:
Reply 7
Write them in grade order, not alphabetically.
-kit-kat-
OK thank you, I'll do that :smile:

and btw thats kinda wierd...I didnt think I had put my GCSE results on TSR, but those four you listed are exactly what I got in those subjects... :o:

Tbh, i used my grades (A in eng lit+lang/history and A* everything else)...

They'll only look at your grades for 2 seconds and go "They're quite clever" then move on...

I still reckon it's good at 16 though, i gave my predicted (all A*) when i applied to ASDA when i was 16.:smile:Can't hurt really.....
Yeah I did mine in grade order, starting with the best and ending with the worst.
Reply 10
Quail
Yeah I did mine in grade order, starting with the best and ending with the worst.

Leto
Write them in grade order, not alphabetically.

MHorman

argh now i dont know whether to do it in grade order or alphabetically..:confused:
Meh, it doesn't matter tbh, they'll only glance at them to get an idea of how clever you are....

I put mine down in alphabetical because most were A* so grade order didn't really give me an order....
I put, GCSEs 4 As, 2 Bs etc and then in brackets (including As in maths and english) because often they are the only specific GCSEs they want to know about
-kit-kat-

thank you

Sorry, but an employer doesn't care about the details of your GCSEs. The only thing they are interested in is the total number and that you have English and Maths. The fact you are going on to do A levels tells them enough about your academic ability. So all you need to put is -

Date [tab] School, Town
Studying A level French, Geography and Biology
8 GCSEs including English and Maths
Reply 14
Just write 10 GCSEs A* -C
Original post by threeportdrift
Sorry, but an employer doesn't care about the details of your GCSEs. The only thing they are interested in is the total number and that you have English and Maths. The fact you are going on to do A levels tells them enough about your academic ability. So all you need to put is -

Date [tab] School, Town
Studying A level French, Geography and Biology
8 GCSEs including English and Maths

Would it be best to have in brackets after English and maths the grade you got? So mine would be a B in maths and A in eng lit.
Original post by Nettled
Would it be best to have in brackets after English and maths the grade you got? So mine would be a B in maths and A in eng lit.

Not unless the employer has asked for specific grades.
Original post by threeportdrift
Not unless the employer has asked for specific grades.

Ah okay I never knew this. So would I just put down on the CV - 13 GCSEs A*-C including Maths and English Language?
Original post by Nettled
Ah okay I never knew this. So would I just put down on the CV - 13 GCSEs A*-C including Maths and English Language?

No need for the word Language, English is enough, but yes, that's what you should put.
Reply 19
School Name
5 A*s, 4 As, 3 Bs including English and Maths

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending