The Student Room Group

Oxford Brookes Uni........................

I don't know much about it, but they want BBB for Law and I'm thinking of applying there... but is it a good university?? I want to become a barrister...will I have much chance after graduating from there??

My AS levels were BBC (Business,ICT,Law) but I think my predicted will be AAA or AAB as I was close to getting those grades. Thanks :biggrin:

(+ any other Unis you think I should apply to with those grades?)
Reply 1
Hey,

Oxford Brookes was my insurance uni place after Leicester. After visiting, I really really liked the uni. However, loads of people give it stick because it's still got the bad reputation of being a polytechnic. I would say definitely go and visit it on one of the open days because I thought it was a lovely place and somewhere I wouldn't have minded living for three years!

Your grades are really really good, so basically you have quite a huge choice of uni's to apply to! I'm currently just about to start my 2nd year of my LLB at Leicester Uni. I really love it here. My offer was AAB and I ended up only getting ABB but I was still accepted. I would say Leicester could definitely be a possibility (although I am slightly biased!) I applied to Nottingham, Southampton, oxford brookes, reading, Bristol UWE, and Leicester, so all of them are within your predicted grades, although saying that there are much better uni's you could apply to with a predicted AAA.

Hope I've been of help.
Reply 2
Assuming that you're serious about the Bar, you should really be looking to apply within the 'top 30'; or else, finish with a good First from whichever 'lesser' institution you do, ultimately, end up at.
Reply 3
To be perfectly honest - if you want the bar - then avoid Brookes like the plague.

Profesh says top 30 - I say top 10... to be honest..

Of course - you will find exceptions - and going to Brookes wont DOOM you ... but it will make it VERY VERY VERY hard.

With AAA you should really be looking at top 10 top 12...

You should have an AAB backup IMO.
Reply 4
Profesh
Assuming that you're serious about the Bar, you should really be looking to apply within the 'top 30'; or else, finish with a good First from whichever 'lesser' institution you do, ultimately, end up at.

Should I try to get into like the top 20 Unis for Law or the top 20 Unis overall?
best75
Should I try to get into like the top 20 Unis for Law or the top 20 Unis overall?

They're probably about the same...except don't apply to York :smile:
Reply 6
whats wrong with York?
It's a "Top Twenty University"...but you won't find it doing too well in the Law League tables (well, maybe in the Guardian :rolleyes: )
Reply 8
mate with BBC you don't have a mission of getting AAA at a-level.It is virtually impossible to go up grades.And unless you get to a top 10 law uni the bar is a tough option.I also doubt they'l be predicting you AAA or AAB with thoses as grades.but chin up and go for it but just don't apply to unis that are realistically out of your reach. And no you basically won't get in the bar from brookes
Trident
mate with BBC you don't have a mission of getting AAA at a-level.It is virtually impossible to go up grades.And unless you get to a top 10 law uni the bar is a tough option.I also doubt they'l be predicting you AAA or AAB with thoses as grades.but chin up and go for it but just don't apply to unis that are realistically out of your reach. And no you basically won't get in the bar from brookes

I got ABBC in my AS's and ended up with AAA overall (dropped one of the 'B' AS's) so effectively I went from ABC to AAA. So it's certainly do-able! :smile:
Reply 10
ramroff
whats wrong with York?

ForeverDecember is being facetious: there is, categorically, no Law course at York. :rolleyes:
Reply 11
Lawz-
To be perfectly honest - if you want the bar - then avoid Brookes like the plague.

Profesh says top 30 - I say top 10... to be honest..

Of course - you will find exceptions - and going to Brookes wont DOOM you ... but it will make it VERY VERY VERY hard.

With AAA you should really be looking at top 10 top 12...

You should have an AAB backup IMO.

Agreed.

best75

Why, do you suppose, is there a 'top 20 Unis for Law', in the first place? One would defer to Lawz's judgement on this matter; except, perhaps, where it can be demonstrated that a 'lesser' university has comparable representation on the Bar to those ostensibly 'better esteemed': e.g. UEA [University of East Anglia].

These 'exceptions' notwithstanding, the nominal hierarchy is thus [all shall require you to have sat the LNAT, except where otherwise stated]:

Oxford
Cambridge
-----
L.S.E. [non-LNAT]
UCL
KCL
-----
Bristol
Nottingham
Durham
Warwick
-----
Manchester [non-LNAT]
Birmingham
Sheffield [non-LNAT]
Leeds [non-LNAT]

Typical offers are 'AAA'; excepting Bristol and KCL, who suggest 'AAB' [KCL also stipulate a 'B' in the fourth AS subject]. Look to an 'AAA' prediction, nevertheless: Bristol and KCL's 'AAB' offers are contingent on the assumption, their préstige being what it is, that very few will relegate either to the position of 'insurance' option; and that, as such, they might afford some degree of leniency respecting students who fall short of their projected attainment (i.e. me).
Reply 12
Trident

Well I was 6 and 7 marks away from getting ABB, and it is possible. And yes they did predict me AAA or AAB because my law teacher doesn't know whether to put A or B so she's considering predicting me A/B. :cool:
Reply 13
its no good saying i'm predicted AAA when ur sitting on BBC,its going to be a hell of a lot of work as the a-levels are far harder than the AS's
Reply 14
Trident
its no good saying i'm predicted AAA when ur sitting on BBC,its going to be a hell of a lot of work as the a-levels are far harder than the AS's

I'm in the same position unfortunately. Because I was lazy in lower sixth and got predicted a BBC (BBB if I am lucky!) I'll have a hard time applying to an AAB or ABB course.

My advice is you work really hard this year and still apply to wherever you want to go. If you don't get an offer but get the grades in August, go through clearing, and if that fails, wait a year, get some more money and reapply.
Reply 15
Well it is certainly possible to get accepted on courses on higher grades than your AS results, but only if your teachers will put you down as predicted higher grades, but they're only going to do that if you actually have a chance of getting then. I had a nightmare in my AS results, with ABCDE, and ended up with AAB, but I wouldn't have even got the offers for AAB if I hadn't been predicted them.

On the other side of that, I have a friend who had poor AS results, and do was predicted BBC, so has gone to Leeds Met, but ended up getting ABB, but because the teachers wouldn't predict her higher grades, so she ended up going to Leeds Met.

I would agree with Pandy, the best thing is to convince your teachers to give you the highest predicted grades you think you can realistically achieve, then work as hard as you can to get them, and hopefully you will end up where you want to go, thats what I did, and it worked for me.
But what you should remember is they may have expected you to get AAA at AS level and you didn't so they might lower your expected grades, and anyway expected grades aren't a guarentee of what you'll get, with lower marks at the AS level which is by a country mile the easier of the two halves I wouldn't bank on AAA just yet, have a BBB or BBC insurance offer on the table otherwise you might be stairing down the barrell of a year out u just don't want dagnabbit!

But if you're supremely confident that you can get the 260+ that it'd take to pull a B to an A at A level then go for it, I'm not saying you can'y do it here I don't know you I'm just saying don't count the chickens before they hatch!

Also I agree with the idea of UAE it's a good uni and it's on the up for Law, I was gonna transfer there myself but didn't manage to work out how in time...

Latest

Trending

Trending