The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Anyone worried about a 1-2-1, I have always always been told at school and when you do practice interviews etc that these are the main contenders in an interview scenario (relevant to a wide array of jobs, from retail to office) ibviously these are in addition to "why here?" "why this job":

DON'T BE AFRAID TO SELL YOURSELF, EVERYONE ELSE IS DOING IT!

1- Do you occasionally get bored while doing detailed work?
2- Do you like to do analytical tasks?
3- What methods do you use for controlling error in your paperwork?
4- Do you get bored or lose interest in doing the same tasks over and over again?
5- When you tend to do your best work, in the morning or in the afternoon?
6- What is the longest hours you have ever worked?
7- Have you ever worked alone or without supervision?
8- Do you think you are an innovative person? and why do you think so?
9- Have you ever broken some company rules?

10- Have you ever done any foolish things?
11- Tell me an instance when you worked hard and felt proud of you achievement?
12- Can you name a few things that motivate you in your job?
13- What were your reasons for leaving your last job?
14- Describe the worst boss you ever worked for?

15- Why did you choose this particular career?
16- What areas of your job and carrer do you like most?
17- Are you sensitive to criticism?
18- We all feel frustrated or angry at times. Have you ever resigned in frustration?
19- Under what working conditions do you produce your best results? (under pressure!!)
20- Have you ever lost your temper at work?
21- Do you classify yourself as a hard-driving or relatively laid-back personality?
22- There probably were some times when you were not satisfied with your performance. What have you done about it?
23- How do you manage to attend interviews while still employed?
24- What are you feelings about working for a large company like ours?
25- What is your attitude towards working in a small company such as this one?
26- Do you make your opinion knows if you point of view differ from that of your superiors?
27- If you had to characterize yourself in one sentence, what would you say?
28- What types of people annoy you?
29- Do you prefer working alone or being of a team?
30- What 3 positive and negative words would your friends and colleagues use to describe you? (Ive been asked this for retail and waitressing work)
31 - Tell me a time when you've gone out of your way to help someone
32 - Tell me a time you have received positive feedback about yourself

33- In group scenarios, you can always be asked the pros and cons of a company or the history of the company...RESEARCH
for any retail opportunity I hope this helps
(edited 11 years ago)
Excellent advice :smile:

One question, how long should you wait to get in touch after interview if you've not heard anything, without seeming pushy?
Original post by isawsparks89
Excellent advice :smile:

One question, how long should you wait to get in touch after interview if you've not heard anything, without seeming pushy?
You really should've found out when they would contact you by during the interview but failing that I'd give them a week.
Reply 183
Hi. I wondered what you guys thought about taking notes with you to a job interview? My mind goes blank when I'm nervous so having notes to glance at would help. Is that a good idea or does it give a bad impression? What have your experiences been?
got my first group interview next week
Ive always wondered how other people are in interviews so should be interesting
i wonder if there'll be team building exercises...
Reply 185
I guess it's worth mentioning that it's extremely important to be ready to ask your own questions, as the lack of them can show the lack of interesting to the position offered.
Reply 186
What do people think about taking my CV in on my tablet instead of a hard copy? I'm perfectly fine with handing over my tablet to them and it also gives me the opportunity to say I brought it to write things down if need be. It's an IT Support role after all so I could say that any notes I make get synced directly to my computer which is why I wanted to do it this way.

Got my interview tomorrow, these tips are great, thanks! I'm just going to relax and see what happens, any questions they ask are bound to be about what I can do in relation to the equipment they have and, past experiences of course. I'll think about some questions to ask, research the company but that's about it.
Reply 187
Could anyone give examples of questions I could ask at the end of an interview? Thanks :smile:
Reply 188
job interview tips
Ugh, a job interview is the worst. I never know how to prepare and what questions they are going to ask. Resume-Help.org has a great outline of the most common job interview tips and how to best answer the tough questions.
http://www.resume-help.org/interview_tips.htm

Just to throw this out there... there's some great advice in this thread, it is always beneficial to know what sorts of questions to expect.However, in my experience the problem is that everyone prepares for the same questions in the same way, and this can lead to days on end interviewing 'samey' candidates. Answering questions competently doesn't guarantee success, it's more a minimum expectation. To truly kick sand in your competitiors' faces, you'll need to find ways to differentiate yourself, so give that some thought. During preparations, you must be asking yourself "What can I do that no other candidate will have thought of?". Key to all this is preparation and finding techniques for answering questions that work for you. Focus on your achievements - measure them, compare them to what went before, and attribute a value to them. MEASURE, COMPARE, VALUE.
True say. Standing out is key throughout the WHOLE job app process. For grad schemes you are up against ridiculous amounts of other grads - some with lots of experience - so you have to up your game. As for interviews, I reckon role play can be a good way to practice and get comfortable with different interview scenarios.
My tip out there for graduates is when you are applying for jobs, doing applications etc, don't just state you have a 2:1 in (insert course), explain on the form in the supplementary information how the job you are applying for relates to the degree or vice versa and always mention if you have extra activities part time jobs. The same goes for when you are at job interviews focus how your degree relates to the job.

If you are going for a graduate job in counselling, don't just say you have a 2:1 in psychology and leave it at that make your presentation stand out from the crowd for example joined debating society, volunteered at local nursing home making coffees, looking after an adult with mental health problems etc.

Nightworld1066
Great suggestion iloveteddy14. Talking about how your skills relate or transfer into the role really gets the attention of employers.
People need to stop thinking that degrees are worthless and not worth the paper they are written on, they need to remember all the effort they put into to it, all the stress it took applying and getting through three years and dissertation. Doing a degree is not a walk in the park

Nightworld1066
Well said iloveteddy14 :smile:.
Original post by Agrippina
Thought I'd share my list of job interview tips which I thought people might find useful:

Find out about the company:

What are its products or services?
What size is it?
Who are its competitors?
You may wish to do some personal research.

Ask for a job description before the interview to find out which of your skills and qualifications are relevant to the company. This will help you to prepare specifically for this job.

- Find out about the structure of the interview.
Most interviews follow a similar format:
1. Questions based on your CV to explain your career path and ambitions
Pick out your skills or achievements that are directly relevant, and rehearse these
Be prepared to explain any unusual parts of your CV, such as any time taken out from employment or education
2. General questions about you
How much do you know about the job?
What interests you about the job?
What skills or experience do you have that make you right for this job?
Why did you leave your last company?
What interests you about this company?
When have you had an opportunity to show initiative?
Who and what were you responsible for in your last job?
Can you give an example of when you coped well under pressure?
Do you prefer to work as an individual or as part of a team?
What are your three biggest achievements so far in your career?
What do you see as your good and bad characteristics?
What are your long term goals? How are you going to succeed in achieving them?
Tell me more about your hobbies and interests?
Are you considering any other jobs?
3. Telling you about the company and position
Which department the vacancy is in, and how that fits into the company
Who you would be working for and with
4. Your questions
Asking relevant questions shows you are interested, organised and able to plan ahead
Salary and benefits are important, but an employer will be more impressed if you ask questions about the company, the department and the job first
Good questions to ask are about training opportunities, who you will report to, who you will be working with, promotion prospects, what the working hours are and if there are peak periods when you will be expected to work longer hours
5. Informing you of the next stage of the process and when you will hear if you have been successful
Whether there is a second or third round of interviews
Find out about the details of the interview

- What is the date, time and location?
Allow plenty of time for the journey and aim to arrive at least ten minutes early. If you are held up, phone ahead and let them know. Do a trial run at getting there if necessary, and don't forget to check timetables or parking availability.

- Who will be interviewing you?
Be prepared for the possibility of a panel interview. In a panel interview, answer questions looking from one interviewer to another.

- How should you dress?
First impressions are important! Dress suitably for the company, and don't overdo your makeup, jewellery and perfume or aftershave. Hair should be clean and tidy. Take just one neat bag or briefcase with you. Be smart and clean, but make sure you are wearing something you are comfortable in. It is best to wear a slightly different outfit for a second interview at the same company, but do be as smart.

- What should you take?
A copy of your current CV (see the Amber Personnel information on CV advice - PM me if you want this) and all relevant certificates and references. A notepad and pen may also be handy, along with a few questions to ask the interviewer.

- Ensure your personal safety
Make sure you are happy with the credentials of the recruiting company
If the interview is not held at the employer's office, ensure it is in a public place e.g. a hotel foyer
Make sure that someone knows where you are being interviewed
Make sure you have transport home arranged - do not accept a lift

DURING THE INTERVIEW

- How to behave
Shake the interviewer's hand firmly if he/she offers
Take the lead from the interviewer - note whether their attitude is formal or relaxed
Make eye contact (but don't stare!)
Smile where appropriate
Don't sit down until you are asked
Look alert and sit upright
Rest your hands on the table or on your lap to look calm and prevent fiddling
Don't eat or smoke even if invited, but do accept a coffee, tea or water if you want to

- Answering questions
Listen carefully and concentrate, and don't interrupt
Show interest
Talk slowly and clearly
Keep your answers clear and to the point and avoid talking for too long
Take time if necessary before answering a question or ask for clarification if you are unsure of the meaning
Don't be afraid to admit if you can't answer the question
Don't criticise your current employer, or reveal confidential information
Be honest
Find opportunities to sell yourself, relating your skills to the job. An employer is looking for determination, enthusiasm and a willingness to learn
Concentrate on positive words, such as "enjoy" and "enthusiastic"

- Asking questions
Make questions relevant
Show that you have researched the company
Ask about training and who you will be working with
Leave questions about salary and benefits until a later stage of interviewing
Ask when you will be given a decision
When the interview ends, do say if you haven't had the opportunity to put a point across or to ask a question. Say if you are interested in the job and thank the interviewer for seeing you.

- After the interview

If the interview does not create a job offer, do not be too disappointed. It is excellent experience for the future and it will help you to build on your interview technique.

Nice guide,

Thanks for sharing
9 Job Interview Question Ideas Which Can Increase Job Hunting ProbabilityAlways apply for those positions where you can perform better and put the best result for the employer. Do not apply for random positions in any way. For more click the link https://www.administrativeinfo.com/2019/09/interview-question-ideas.html

Latest

Trending

Trending