The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Goodricke College - Janet Baker Court

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
olliehm
lol, thanks for clearing that up. Not long now, sh1tting myself a little hah :smile:

Aint we all ?
I'm finally in, Economics anyone?
University of York
York
Reply 41
im in janet baker too, flat 43 anyone??
doing sociology with criminology x
Does anyone know the rules about putting up posters? Some halls charge you at the end of the year if there are blue tack marks on the walls.
Reply 43
There seems to be a board on the one wall that you can use for putting up posters.
Reply 44
FutureSailor
Does anyone know the rules about putting up posters? Some halls charge you at the end of the year if there are blue tack marks on the walls.

It is against the rules and you will be charged for any damage, so I would advise against it. You are provided with a two large noticeboards in your room, which should provide you with plenty of poster space :smile:

Peter.
Reply 45
FutureSailor

I must agree with Peter that it is against the rules and there are very large notice boards for anything you want. That said there are places in your room where you could display a poster with white tack and it not cause any damage, such as wardrobe sides and backs of doors. If you have white walls (some were last year) you could probably get away with white tack on white walls, as people did last year.

Ultimately it is up to you as Peter mentioned if they find damage they will charge and technically it is against the rules.

Alastair
Reply 46
I understand that colleges has rules, but HOW in the name of god can a blue tack mark DAMAGE room?! :biggrin: Oh please...Thinking of all the partying and everything that's going on in these rooms, I guess the blue tack mark is the least that I would be worried about...
Reply 47
I certainly wouldn't recommend this, but you'll be pleased to know that Blu Tack doesn't cause damage to windows. We proved this in the first week of living at Goodricke College :smile:

The sign was unfortunately removed by the porters after being classed as a 'fire risk'. It was certainly good fun whilst it lasted though!

Peter.
Reply 48
Ebenia
I understand that colleges has rules, but HOW in the name of god can a blue tack mark DAMAGE room?! :biggrin: Oh please...Thinking of all the partying and everything that's going on in these rooms, I guess the blue tack mark is the least that I would be worried about...

The problem with blue tack is it leaves a obvious grease like looking mark on the wall. This then means walls need to be repainted.

You will tend to find that a lot of the partying will go on in the kitchen with them being fairly big. Sorry to say if there is damage done to the room being from posters or partying you will be charged. The colleges are quite strict about this :/
Reply 49
pg2114
I certainly wouldn't recommend this, but you'll be pleased to know that Blu Tack doesn't cause damage to windows. We proved this in the first week of living at Goodricke College :smile:

The sign was unfortunately removed by the porters after being classed as a 'fire risk'. It was certainly good fun whilst it lasted though!

Peter.

is flat 25 on the other side of that? :p:
Reply 50
JoshC
is flat 25 on the other side of that? :p:

As you stand looking at the photo Flat 25 is in a smaller Janet Baker section separated by a balcony/walkway/fire escape to the left.

I will look to see if i have any photos.

Alastair
Reply 51
ally05108
I will look to see if i have any photos.

This photograph should explain all:

Apologies for the untidy labels, but it was very hard to fit them all onto the photograph :smile:

Peter.
Reply 52
pg2114

Apologies for the untidy labels, but it was very hard to fit them all onto the photograph :smile:

Peter.

Oohhhh that's good. That's near the bike shed isn't it :P I think that's the building I was shown when I went and visited. I didn't realise at the time that the one showing me and my mum around was the provost lol
Reply 53
JoshC
Oohhhh that's good. That's near the bike shed isn't it :P

There are bike sheds at each end of Janet Baker court (i.e. To the left of Flat 02 and to the right of Flat 05), so you should never be far away from one :smile:

Peter.
Reply 54
pg2114
There are bike sheds at each end of Janet Baker court (i.e. To the left of Flat 02 and to the right of Flat 05), so you should never be far away from one :smile:

Peter.

You key card will theoretically only allow you access the bike shed to the right of flat 05 along with rubbish bays.

You will be able to access the bike sheds internally without going outside your 'wing' of Janet baker (GBA/A2)

Alastair
Reply 55
pg2114

Peter.

maybe you could help again, do you know how many people are sharing flat 25?
Reply 56
JoshC
maybe you could help again, do you know how many people are sharing flat 25?

There are 12 people sharing flat 25. It is also worth noting that flat 25 has at least 1 twin room to my knowledge. I was next door in flat 24.

Alastair
Reply 57
ally05108
There are 12 people sharing flat 25. It is also worth noting that flat 25 has at least 1 twin room to my knowledge. I was next door in flat 24.

Alastair

ah right. im guessing that they tell you if youre sharing :p: thanks :smile:
Reply 58
ally05108

Alastair

Yeah, it was my ex GFs flat. I can confirm that it's 12 rooms, 10 single rooms, 1 twin room and 1 tutor room. :smile:
I was wondering about the cycle/walking path. Looked at the YSJU videos and so on but they only show Goodricke itself. Is it a nice ride/walk. Safe at night and so on?
Also how long does it take to get between the two campuses and from Goodricke into the city?

Quick Reply

Latest