The Student Room Group

Geography Applicants for Entry 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
I'm reading all the stuff i have supposedly read :wink: and getting to grips with the stuff i wrote on my personal statement and my SAQ. I am also thinking about how i am going to answer the obvious questions like "why geog" and "why here" etc and what i think of the course lalala

I am doing a sort of mock interview, but i am the first person to get an interview for geography at cambridge from my school, so it won't be all that accurate, but maybe just make me a little less nervous! What about you guys? but yh i agree it is very difficult to predict but i def think that current issues will be talked about :smile:
Original post by Hnk2401
same! Which college?

Trinity Hall :smile: you??

hmm i hadn't actually thought about Haiti...i've been expecting more standard topics like climate change, sustainability, etc....
What was the article they sent you on?
Original post by Sophia14
I'm reading all the stuff i have supposedly read :wink: and getting to grips with the stuff i wrote on my personal statement and my SAQ. I am also thinking about how i am going to answer the obvious questions like "why geog" and "why here" etc and what i think of the course lalala

I am doing a sort of mock interview, but i am the first person to get an interview for geography at cambridge from my school, so it won't be all that accurate, but maybe just make me a little less nervous! What about you guys? but yh i agree it is very difficult to predict but i def think that current issues will be talked about :smile:

yeah im doing the same as you + going over my AS stuff (a lot of which i've forgotten :s-smilie:). Had a mock interview last week which went okay despite me being ridiculously nervous - I got asked things like how i approached the article..which ended up leading onto topics like climate change, sustainability and geography ethics.
Reply 183
Original post by rlumorrell

hmm i hadn't actually thought about Haiti...i've been expecting more standard topics like climate change, sustainability, etc....

Christ's for me XD

Original post by Sophia14

Yea I'm doing the same. I've had three mock interviews so far and so far I think they've been ok...can't really tell!
Reply 184
Original post by rbecky004
Hi - glad to meet some more Geography geeks!!!

1) I am taking Geography, Maths, Economics and General Studies to A2 as well as the Extended Project, with additional AS levels in ICT, Further Maths, English Lit&Lang and Drama and Theatre Studies (AAAAaabb) - a lot I know but I took some at school.

2) Applying for BSci Geography - the best kind :smile:

3) I have applied to:
Cambridge (Girton)
Durham (St Johns)
St Andrews
Exeter - offer AAB
Lancaster (Physical Geography with a year in Australasia) - offer AAB

VERY exited about Uni!

Good luck with all of your applications, I hope that you get to where you want to go :smile:

Hey, I'm also applying for geog at girton! Is your interview on the 9th of dec as well?
Reply 185
Original post by UCAS.LOVER
I got AAAAA at AS.

I'm studying the following at A2:

Geography
Biology
History

I applied to:

Cambridge
St Andrews
Durham
Bristol
Sheffield

So far I have offers from:

Durham = AAA
Sheffield = AAB

Haha, i'm very similar to you. I'm currently taking a year out and reappling, but I''v done the same A2 subjects, got the same grades for AS's and I've applied to all the same places as you this year, apart from Sheffield which I got offered a place at last year so i'm gonna count it as well haha). what college have you applied for at Cambridge ?
Reply 186

Hey, I'm applying to Girton this year, but last year I applied to trinity hall for geog, and got pooled then rejected. Who do u have interviewing u? One of your interviews will be almost completely non geographical, in my second one I got asked about my other 2 subjects at a level, history and biology. For my first interview I talked mostly about one of the essays I had sent, nd a book I had mentioned in my personal statement. My best advice for you is to rea around you PS nd anything that can relate to it!
Reply 187
I only applied for the Bsc three weeks ago but i have an offer from sheffield (AAB) and an interview at QM next wednesday, however i am still waiting on UCL, KCL and Bristol. I am literally desperate for the London ones to get back to me and I'm predicted three As in Geography, Biology and Physics. I feel like i have no chance after reading all these comments :frown:
Reply 188
Original post by mecks17
interview at Queen Mary tomorrow!!

Hey, I've got mine next Wednesday (8th) what sort of stuff did they ask?
Reply 189
Hi, I've applied for Geography at:
Cambridge, St Cats - interview on the 13th
Bristol
KCL
Nottingham - ABB
Durham - rejected, not sure why as they didn't give any useful feedback

Grades at as:
Geography - A
Maths - A
Physics - A
Economics - A
General Studies - A

No idea what my predicted grades are though!
Reply 190
hi
just got my first geography offer :smile:
from my backup plan ..lancaster ABB
also applied to..
Durham
LSE
Edinburgh
leeds
Reply 191
Original post by Hnk2401
Ahh to everyone who's applied to Durham for Geography, which colleges did you choose and have you got confirmation yet?

I applied BSc and got my offer a few weeks ago followed by confirmation from St Aidan's!

The AES went pretty smoothly for me so that's a bit odd

I applied to Josephine Butler but i'm regretting it now. It's my third choice though so hopefully it shouldn't matter too much. how about you? :smile:
Original post by TSR5678
Hmm do you think so? Well I didntt think Lancaster's course in general had many options to choose from but the course seemed interesting. Anyway this is where I think about whether Ive made the right decision or not for ages! I love sport and L'boro is brilliant for that and nearer to home :frown: Arghh! I hate UCAS!
And did you think the lecturers seemed good?

Yeah they seemed good. I'm going to their post-offers visit day next week so I guess I'll know more about it then.

If I'm honest, I don't adore Loughborough's course - they were a back up for me with grades ABB/AAC just in case didn't get any other offers. I have other offers now but until my 'top' unis reply, Loughborough looks like it's gonna be the back up.
Reply 193
Surely for Cambridge you don't expect to be asked to discuss something so prominent as Mount Merapi and Haiti?
Original post by tmay3
Hey, I'm applying to Girton this year, but last year I applied to trinity hall for geog, and got pooled then rejected. Who do u have interviewing u? One of your interviews will be almost completely non geographical, in my second one I got asked about my other 2 subjects at a level, history and biology. For my first interview I talked mostly about one of the essays I had sent, nd a book I had mentioned in my personal statement. My best advice for you is to rea around you PS nd anything that can relate to it!

aww man..lol thats not doing anything for my confidence. I've got Prof Janice Stargardt & Ms Catherine Sumnall for my main i presume then Dr Alastair Fraser & Ms Isobel Sides for the general interview. Recognize any of them?? I'm almost regretting choosing a college where i needed to send in work...Don't think im too confident with it but cheers for the advice! Did you end up talking about anything general like climate change etc. or was it just on the things that you've mentioned?
Reply 195
Original post by RachaelEM
Hey, I've got mine next Wednesday (8th) what sort of stuff did they ask?

vaguely on my personal statement, just be prepared to expand on little parts
Reply 196
Original post by laurah17
I applied to Josephine Butler but i'm regretting it now. It's my third choice though so hopefully it shouldn't matter too much. how about you? :smile:

Why are you regretting that choice?
St Aidan's for me :smile:
Reply 197
Original post by strookes
Hi, I've applied for Geography at:
Cambridge, St Cats - interview on the 13th
Bristol
KCL
Nottingham - ABB
Durham - rejected, not sure why as they didn't give any useful feedback

Grades at as:
Geography - A
Maths - A
Physics - A
Economics - A
General Studies - A

No idea what my predicted grades are though!

I'm in exactly the same position, down to the interview date at St Catz. I also got rejected from Durham and with no useful feedback. I've got offers from Southampton & Nottingham both AAB :smile: I haven't heard from Bristol, my 8 weeks from acknowledgement will be wednesday, and I haven't had one of those emails saying they might take their time, but I'm fearing a rejection as apparently they do for the same reason as Durham - private school, think you're applying to cambridge etc. I got 4 A's at AS and I'm predicted 3 A*s but it really doesn't feel like the replies and offers i'm getting are reflecting that at all :frown: But they're saying this year you're lucky to get an offer anywhere, so I guess it's about sitting tight and praying :smile: Who are your interviewers at Catz?
Reply 198
Original post by Meeee93
I'm in exactly the same position, down to the interview date at St Catz. I also got rejected from Durham and with no useful feedback. I've got offers from Southampton & Nottingham both AAB :smile: I haven't heard from Bristol, my 8 weeks from acknowledgement will be wednesday, and I haven't had one of those emails saying they might take their time, but I'm fearing a rejection as apparently they do for the same reason as Durham - private school, think you're applying to cambridge etc. I got 4 A's at AS and I'm predicted 3 A*s but it really doesn't feel like the replies and offers i'm getting are reflecting that at all :frown: But they're saying this year you're lucky to get an offer anywhere, so I guess it's about sitting tight and praying :smile: Who are your interviewers at Catz?

Mmm Durham seem strange, ah well. Yeah I reckon Bristol will just take until January, fearing a rejection from them as well!
Yeah I know what you mean, but we've both applied to competitive unis so you've got to expect rejections along the way...
Um Dr Ian Willis and Mr P Wothers. You?
Original post by Meeee93

I'm in exactly the same position - set to achieve A*A*A*A from a standard comprehensive, and I was rejected from LSE, Oxford and Durham, and am now waiting for the Warwick and Queen Mary rejections. Had a glowing reference etc. and some decent ECs, but poor GCSEs due to undiagnosed Type 1 diabetes during the GCSE and AS period. Also, the universities I applied to said they'd take that into account, but I beg to differ - LSE said the GCSEs were the reason behind my rejection. I know what you mean when you say the responses you get don't reflect your grades, and to be honest I'm probably just going to try again next year - I'm not to bothered about the fee increase, and hopefully that'll decrease competition. Plus, applying post-qualification can only be an advantage. Cheer up though, I don't want to face another year at home but in the end I hope the gamble will pay off and it will be worth it. Looking forward to the pub tomorrow night to escape from it all though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending