The Student Room Group

Should it be made illegal for cousins to marry?

This week’s dispatches states that the marriage of cousins within some ethnic minorities account for around 33% of rare recessive genetic disorders within their children, I find it really selfish that people are willing to do this knowing the risks involved with the health of their children. there’ve been arguments put through that this is ok because it is within some of their cultures, knowing what we do now about genetics this can’t be right nor can this be a valid argument. Hospitals get almost 700 cases of rare recessive genetic disorders every year I really don’t see why the government aren’t doing enough to stop this.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/4od#3116215

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i don't know whether it should be outlawed, as people would probably just find ways round it, but there should be a big drive in educating people about the risks in marrying cousins.

Its just very very backwards.

There should be genetic testing before cousins get married, to see if there is a risk of genetic diseases.
Personally i think it should apply to the whole population.
Kelsey A
I really don’t see why the government aren’t doing enough to stop this.

I do :rolleyes:
No.

But it should be compulsory for everyone to have genetic testing by the age of 11. That way they know what nasties are hanging around in their DNA and they know who to avoid as a future baby making partner.
I am very close to my first cousins. They're like my second set of siblings. I think this is reflected in my answer:

I find it revolting that someone could marry/have sex with/have kids with cousin. I find that highly unnecessary. There's enough fish in the ocean.
Kelsey A
Should it be made illegal for cousins to marry?

No, my cousins are sexy.

...not.

Yeah I only saw like 5 mins of that program, but it was sad to see the disabled kids. I think it should definately be illegal.
I thought it was!
It really should be.
I unfortunatly didn't watch the entire show (had to talk to my Grandma), but from what I saw... I just don't understand why people would WANT to! I saw some people that were saying "why wouldn't you?". I think if it was outlawed, there would be ways round it or something?
It's unnecessary.

I feel so so sorry for that poor blind boy who just sits there crying, noone deserves that kind of life. If it reduces problems like that then yes it should be made illegal.
Reply 9
Kelsey A
This week’s dispatches states that the marriage of cousins within some ethnic minorities account for around 33% of rare recessive genetic disorders within their children, I find it really selfish that people are willing to do this knowing the risks involved with the health of their children. there’ve been arguments put through that this is ok because it is within some of their cultures, knowing what we do now about genetics this can’t be right nor can this be a valid argument. Hospitals get almost 700 cases of rare recessive genetic disorders every year I really don’t see why the government aren’t doing enough to stop this.

I never knew there were genetic problems with marrying first cousins. Thanks for telling me and sending me the link of that video. I'm watching it now. Really interesting.

If thats REALLY a lot more likely to happen for first cousins, then it should really be made illegal imo.
I don't think its right, but it shouldn't be outlawed.
People should be educated but no one should like... go to prison for marrying their cousin if they reallllly wanted to.
Reply 11
:sadno:
Reply 12
I found that programme highly disturbing.
It's sick and I was deeply angered at how the idiots didn't see anything wrong with it and denied fact, even though there was significant evidence, and how they turned it into some sort of race hate issue.
It should be made illegal to prevent these poor, unhealthy children being brought into this world. It's totally unfair and cruel. People need to be educated about the consequences of incest, and I'm so glad that programme was aired.
Reply 13
Kelsey A

What's wrong with two people in love wanting to marry? Bigot.
Reply 14
Yes it should be made illegal and also the government should start recognizing that different foreign nationalities contribute more to British society than others. When we see the huge amounts of problems we have when faced with so many Pakistanis here the government should realize that maybe they should stop allowing more of them in.

60% of them marry their first cousins, a similar amount probably hate Britain and support terrorism. Even ordinary Pakistanis like that Akmal Sheikh who ended up being executed in China was found out to be a supporter of terrorism against Britain. Just some random Pakistani who got in trouble in China, oh what are the odds of him being happy about the 7/7 bombings.

Wake up British government!

Btw I'm not racist. I just think Pakistani culture is dangerous. I am not inciting hatred so mods do not delete my reply! I am saying this for the well being of Britain.
Reply 15
Kelsey A

I think this points out how irrelevant and prejudiced your view is.
Reply 16
Making it illegal won't really work; it's one of those problems that only education and renewal of generations will cure. That applies to the white families, many in Yorkshire, who practice first-cousin marriage as well as immigrant Pakistani families and their tradition of such marriages.

Very sad indeed; but tbh, if all you know about first-cousin marriages and its genetic consequences if what you learned from the show (and no, I'm no renowned biologist I know), then you don't really know all that much. Just putting that out there... 1 documentary for the mass-media does not make you as a viewer an expert, so perhaps some people with the most emphatic opinions should reassess their claims in the light of some wider reading.

But the one thing the show did portray well is the need to bring these discussions out from the taboo topics, along with discussions of race and intelligence, eugenics and the likes.
Reply 17
deathbeforeimmortality
I am very close to my first cousins. They're like my second set of siblings. I think this is reflected in my answer:

I find it revolting that someone could marry/have sex with/have kids with cousin. I find that highly unnecessary. There's enough fish in the ocean.

That's almost like saying "jeez I don't know why these homosexuals keep having sex with other men, as if there's not enough girls out there!"
Reply 18
princessnavi22
It's unnecessary.

I feel so so sorry for that poor blind boy who just sits there crying, noone deserves that kind of life. If it reduces problems like that then yes it should be made illegal.

Yes let's also ban homosexuals to reduce the amount of AIDs being spread! Idiot.
Reply 19
Kelsey A

I dont agree with the practice of cousins marrying but you cannot and should not out law it - not because some people dislike it does not mean it should be outlawed.

Many people do not like gay marriages yet it is legal or there abouts.

I find it selfish that women can abort a young life, yet its legal. I find it selfish that some very old women believe they have a right to have a child at 60 years and above which is unfair for a child should something happen to his mother or he is born with a disability as a result. Its somewhat disorientating also for some children to be born in gay mariages or even recently being conceived from the bone marrow of the mother

Latest

Trending

Trending