The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 1
Im at marys at the min, and, as its a fairly old college, room sizes vary. In Williamson, the more modern building, they are all around the same size and fairly large, but in Fergusson, the older building, they vary greatly. As a postgraduate though, I would imagine that you would get a better room which would be one of the larger rooms. Also, if you didnt like the room, you could switch during the second or third terms where you would be given first choice as a graduate.
Hope this helps!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks mmmmmpie, that was really helpful! I can't wait as its my first time in dorms!
mmmmmpie
Im at marys at the min, and, as its a fairly old college, room sizes vary. In Williamson, the more modern building, they are all around the same size and fairly large, but in Fergusson, the older building, they vary greatly. As a postgraduate though, I would imagine that you would get a better room which would be one of the larger rooms. Also, if you didnt like the room, you could switch during the second or third terms where you would be given first choice as a graduate.
Hope this helps!

whats the likelyhood of sharing a room during your time at Marys ? There dont seem to be that many shared rooms but with changing rooms every term surely it increases chances ?
Reply 4
It is possibly fairly likely that you will end up, at some point, sharing a room at marys, though its less likely here than at the bailey colleges. As you switch rooms through a ballot, based on points, then if you dont share a room in the first term then you tend to end up at the bottom of the ballot, possibly forcing you to share a room, or to have one of the less nice rooms.
That said, I know people who havent shared all year and managed to get nice rooms, and if you have that much of a problem you could also claim that you have reasons to not share a room, i.e. insominia.
Most people dont have an issue with sharing though, I know people that shared in the first term and then shared again in the second, noone I know has an issue with it!
Reply 5
Also, I should add that if you decide to share at some point during the first year, I would reccomend that you share in the first term, as this will put you on the top of the ballot for next term, and then as long as you pick a non ensuite room next term, you will be fairly high up on the ballot next term. This is what I did, and I got one average sharing room and two really awesome rooms, hope this helps!
Reply 6
I Agree with mmmmmpie, i shared first term as well and they pair you up really well. You fill in a form giving info about bed times, how much you drink etc so you will probably get paired with someone like you. I was really worried about sharing as i am quite a private person but i was great, the girl i shared with is still one of my best friends and we shared a house for two years afterwards. After first term we got first pick of rooms and i got an ensuite for second and third terms

Latest