The Student Room Group

What/How many A-level subjects do Oxbridge prefer? (ANSWERED)

Hey guys,
I have come across a lot of students confused about making their post-16 (i.e. A-levels or equivalent) subject choices when planning to apply to Oxbridge in the future.

The cambridge University has published a leaflet answering this query for 11-grade students who are about to make their choices for A-levels (Or equivalent courses).

An online copy of the leaflet is available at http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/apply/docs/subjectmatters.pdf

An excerpt from the leaflet is as follows :

Introduction
The AS and A Level subject choices you make when in Year 11 (or equivalent) can have a significant
impact on the course options available to you at university.
When assessing applicants at the University of Cambridge, we consider not only the individual A Level
(or equivalent) subjects taken but also the combination of these. We generally prefer applicants to have
taken certain subjects, or combinations of subjects, because we believe that they are more likely to
provide an effective preparation for study at the University.
If you are in Year 11 (or equivalent) and are having to choose your AS/A Level options, this leaflet
provides useful advice to ensure that the decisions you make will not unduly limit the opportunities
available to you should you decide to apply to Cambridge in the future.
If you are studying in a qualification system other than A Levels the advice about subject combinations
that follows essentially still holds true.

Do you know the course you want to study?
Many Cambridge courses require prior knowledge of certain subjects and Colleges will expect such
subjects to be passed, normally with at least an A grade at A Level or equivalent.
If you have already decided on a course that you would like to study at university, we recommend that
you take a look at the information on Course Requirements given on our website
(www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/requirements/) before you finalise your A Level subject
choices to check that they will be appropriate for a Cambridge application. You might also wish to do this
for the same course or similar courses at other universities.

Are you inclined towards the arts or social sciences?
If you think you would like to study an arts or social sciences course at university but you are not sure
which one, then English Literature†, History, languages and Mathematics are good ‘keystone’
subjects: choosing one or more of these will provide a good foundation for your subject combination.
Other good choices to combine these subjects with include: an additional language, Ancient History,
Classical Civilisation, Economics, Further Mathematics‡, Geography, Philosophy, Religious
Studies and sciences (Biology, Chemistry or Physics).
Other possible subject choices, for instance Archaeology, Citizenship, English Language,
Environmental Science, Government and Politics, History of Art, Law, Music, Psychology or
Sociology, are useful preparation for some of our arts and social sciences courses.
The arts and social sciences courses currently offered at the University of Cambridge are: Anglo-Saxon,
Norse, and Celtic; Archaeology and Anthropology; Asian and Middle Eastern Studies; Classics;
Economics; Education; English; History; History of Art; Land Economy; Law; Linguistics; Modern and
Medieval Languages; Music; Philosophy; Politics, Psychology & Sociology; Theology and Religious Studies.

Are you inclined towards the sciences?
If you think you would like to study a science course at university but you are not sure which one, then
you are advised to take at least two, and ideally three, of Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and
Physics. Some pairings of these subjects are more natural than others. The most natural pairs are
Biology and Chemistry, Chemistry and Physics, and Mathematics and Physics.
In practice the vast majority of applicants for science courses at Cambridge take at least three of these
subjects. Another useful combination is Mathematics, Further Mathematics‡ and Physics. Many
students take four of Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Physics.
If you are planning to study biological or medical sciences you should take Chemistry; for physical
sciences or engineering you should take Mathematics and Physics and ideally Further Mathematics.
Other possible subject choices, for instance Computing, Design and Technology, Electronics or
Psychology, may be useful preparation for some of our science courses.
The science courses offered at the University of Cambridge are: Computer Science; Engineering;
Mathematics; Medicine; Natural Sciences; Veterinary Medicine.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I thought I should post this here. The Russell Group have issued an information booklet titled 'Informed Choices'. The link to the article is here, whilst the aforementioned information booklet can be found here. Quite informative for anybody who is struggling to decide upon their A Level choices.
Reply 2
Question. The cambridge dept of arc specifies that mature students applying for the BA in arc. could take one a level i preperation for the course-does this presume a levels were taken at leaving school age and does it assume high grades were achieved?

Bit confused about that one:rolleyes:
Reply 3
I am currently doing as in maths, biology, chemistry and politics and I've decided I want to do law at Oxford. I've heard the standard offer is 3 A's and I've did really badly in my jan exams. Do I have a chance bearing in mind I stressing so much over these may/june exams. Say if I do bad and I retake the year, touch wood I don't will that be it? Will I have a chance to make it to Oxford even If I change my subjects. As I think I'm of the humanities type. Will that disadvantage me. Please give me some advice.
Reply 4
Original post by Thomb
Question. The cambridge dept of arc specifies that mature students applying for the BA in arc. could take one a level i preperation for the course-does this presume a levels were taken at leaving school age and does it assume high grades were achieved?

Bit confused about that one:rolleyes:

This is a very specific question, you'd probably be better off asking the department directly.
Reply 5
Original post by Dahir123
I am currently doing as in maths, biology, chemistry and politics and I've decided I want to do law at Oxford. I've heard the standard offer is 3 A's and I've did really badly in my jan exams. Do I have a chance bearing in mind I stressing so much over these may/june exams. Say if I do bad and I retake the year, touch wood I don't will that be it? Will I have a chance to make it to Oxford even If I change my subjects. As I think I'm of the humanities type. Will that disadvantage me. Please give me some advice.

why did you take 2 sciences and maths if you want to do law? surely you should have taken english lit or history?
Hello, I have chosen sociology,psychology and health and social for my A-levels. Would this be a good combination for psychology at Cambridge?
Reply 7
Original post by Troytheboy
Hello, I have chosen sociology,psychology and health and social for my A-levels. Would this be a good combination for psychology at Cambridge?

No not really. See this list:
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604
http://russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf
http://www.pbs.tripos.cam.ac.uk/Documents/standardoffers

"In general it is not essential for you to have studied any particular subject, though you will find mathematics, science subjects, and humanities subjects useful preparation for the course. Students are not required to have studied Psychology before starting the course."

You put yourself at a disadvantage by studying none of the preferred subjects (such as Maths & Biology) and only "soft" humanities subjects rather than say English or History. Is it too late to change?
Original post by Colmans
No not really. See this list:
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604
http://russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf
http://www.pbs.tripos.cam.ac.uk/Documents/standardoffers

I don't think so, do you believe I should study A level English, sociology, and Psychology. The reason I chose these subjects is because I wish to do mental health nursing as a fall back, also do you believe these three A levels will be over-bearing or okay to manage
Reply 9
I take it you don't want to do Biology which would be good for both?
Sociology is still not a good A-level for maximising your chances but is just about OK if you got high UMS % (Above 90% overall). For other Russel group universities Sociology is also not liked.

To be honest if you find these three A levels too much you really are not going to be able to cope with the demands of a Cambridge course.
Hi
I am hoping to study medicine at a good Uni like Oxford or cambridge

So far I have decided on three definites:
Maths
Biology
Chemistry

As for the final fourth, I don't want to take Physics since i don't like it and know that cambridge doesn't mind if you don't take it so long as you've taken the preferred three sciences including maths. My other three options are latin ,further maths (which I am doing my GCSEs in) and economics which is only offered at A level in my school.

I know economics has barely anything to do with medicine but I am quite interested in it. Same goes for latin and further maths. Which one do you think I should go for?

P,s I have heard people saying that latin is good for a degree in medicine would you agree?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tayyeb
Hi

Maths
Biology
Chemistry

As for the final fourth, I don't want to take Physics since i don't like it and know that cambridge doesn't mind if you don't take it so long as you've taken the preferred three sciences including maths. My other three options are latin ,further maths (which I am doing my GCSEs in) and economics which is only offered at A level in my school.

I know economics has barely anything to do with medicine but I am quite interested in it. Same goes for latin and further maths. Which one do you think I should go for?

P,s I have heard people saying that latin is good for a degree in medicine would you agree?

They're all academically rigorous. For medicine some unis don't accept further maths, though as a 4th subject I think most would... have a look on the wiki.

They're all applicable in their own way - latin is not especially relevant no.

Go for the one you'll enjoy and get the best grade in.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tayyeb
Hi

Maths
Biology
Chemistry

If you think economics is nothing to do with medicine then you haven't really considered medicine thoroughly enough.

Quite a few places will only count further maths as half an A level so acceptable as an AS subject but not for one of the three As in one sitting essential for medicine. One medical school likes a non science subject so Latin would suit.
Original post by Tayyeb
Hi

Maths
Biology
Chemistry

It probably doesn't really make a difference. I wouldn't say Latin is any better than any other subject.
Original post by Tayyeb
Hi

Maths
Biology
Chemistry

The priority for Cambridge is high UMS in your top three sciences. FM is unlikely to push up your UMS since it will count as one subject with Maths and most people score higher on single maths.(Oxford look at GCSEs) 85% of applicants don't get into Cambridge for Medicine & a surprising number get no offers anywhere so increasing your attractiveness by including an essay based Arts subject is a good idea even though Latin is of minimal relevance.
NB Are you now the year that won't get AS UMS?
Economics & Further maths increase your options if you change your mind about degree subject-FM especially is useful for Nat Sci, but then its also essential for Economics.
Original post by Colmans
The priority for Cambridge is high UMS in your top three sciences. FM is unlikely to push up your UMS since it will count as one subject with Maths and most people score higher on single maths.(Oxford look at GCSEs) 85% of applicants don't get into Cambridge for Medicine & a surprising number get no offers anywhere so increasing your attractiveness by including an essay based Arts subject is a good idea even though Latin is of minimal relevance.
NB Are you now the year that won't get AS UMS?
Economics & Further maths increase your options if you change your mind about degree subject-FM especially is useful for Nat Sci, but then its also essential for Economics.

I don't really think an Arts subject increases your attractiveness. UCL says they give "some preference" to people with a contrasting subject, but all other medical schools are neutral on the issue as far as I know.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I don't really think an Arts subject increases your attractiveness. UCL says they give "some preference" to people with a contrasting subject, but all other medical schools are neutral on the issue as far as I know.

I think it is a bit stronger than that. Medical schools may be ambivalent between two sciences and three but where there are already three sciences it is clear that they welcome a fourth humanities. Admittedly it is a while ago now but my school certainly advocated a humanities subject for medicine as it shows broader skills and Medicine is not a pure science subject except perhaps at Cambridge.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements
Original post by Colmans
I think it is a bit stronger than that. Medical schools may be ambivalent between two sciences and three but where there are already three sciences it is clear that they welcome a fourth humanities. Admittedly it is a while ago now but my school certainly advocated a humanities subject for medicine as it shows broader skills and Medicine is not a pure science subject except perhaps at Cambridge.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

Yes, they would "welcome" a fourth humanities, but that doesn't mean they actively prefer it. I just don't think it makes a difference whether the fourth subject is a science or arts (perhaps with the exception of Further Maths if some medical schools don't consider it a full A Level).

On that page you have linked to, UCL is the only one on the list that mentions giving any preference to people with a contrasting subject.

Once you meet the minimum subject requirements, I would suggest that they'll be selecting on the basis of UKCAT, interview, personal statement etc, not whether the fourth A Level is a science or arts.
Original post by Colmans
Medicine is not a pure science subject

It pretty much is. Ok, there are stronger communication and ethics elements, but that hardly makes it part-humanity.

You mention essay subject...in fact the only places that will ask you to write regular essays are, ironically, Cambridge and Oxford.

Plus you just linked a page that agrees with what Chief Wiggum says.
I always wanted to be a proctologist, but I didn't have the Latin.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending