The Student Room Group

Girls, do you mind being called 'chicks', 'birds', 'broads' etc?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hate it
Reply 61
Why not just call them 'female people'?
Broad... are we in a rendition of Grease or something.
Calling me by my name will suffice.
'Guys' is just a general term for people, that's not really offensive.
Reply 63
"Bird" connotes misogyny and macho posturing, so I don't like it.
"Chick" is lovely. It gives me the image of a cute girl but with a bit of energy and sass.
"Broad" is all right because it's obviously meant as a joke.

As a bloke/dude/guy I wouldn't really take offence at any term of address or reference to myself.

"Bloke" suggests that I'm old, unremarkable and somehow bumbling. Quite dismissive but can be humorous.
"Dude" is fun. I'm comfortable with the laid-back "dude" archetype, so it relaxes me. I call girls "dudette" a lot, especially if they're "different".
I hate the look and feel of the word "guy", mainly because it's what teenage girls might use to make generalisations about us.
"Boy" always seems like a romantic word to me, intimating that he's sweet and innocent. I quite enjoy this reference and when it is a question of me being attracted to another guy I will always use "boy".
(edited 13 years ago)
Theres a lot of angry broads on here.
Reply 65
If someone called me those names, joking aside, I wouldn't be happy.
when I'm talking with the LADs I'll call them bitches, hoes, 'the poontang', 'the minge' or just 'pussy' etc. for the banter. but when I'm talking to them personally i'll call them birds, babes, shawty etc. just to be a bit more polite and usually get a better response from them. i'm not very good with names lol
I am a girl and I literally wouldn't care if I was called any of the above things.
I can't remember the last time I heard the word 'geezer'...
Original post by Trouser Snake
You forgot to include bitches and ho's, not that i would ever use such terms....however saying that, i do like 'dames' and 'broads' very vintage.

What about 'bints', thats a favourite
Yes. I really hate it.
Reply 71
I don't mind hearing people calling girls 'chicks' or 'birds'... I don't really care. But I would not like it if my boyfriend called me "his bird" lol, it's just not romantic or loving!
Reply 72
Not that it happens often (looool!) but i hate to be called 'babe' 'gorgeous' or 'sweetie' --particularly the last one!
I have a name. Alternatively i would accept 'my whore' :tongue:
I don't like 'birds' or 'broads' but there's nothing wrong with calling a girl a chick
Reply 74
Wtf? Broad? I wouldn't mind chick as it's sort of friendly. Bird sounds old fashioned yorkshire :s-smilie:
my ex used to call me chick to my face, and he used to refer to me as "my girl" to his friends which was fine
Reply 76
Original post by Nerd_No_More
A quick question for the ladies here. Do you get annoyed if guys refer to you as 'birds', 'babes', 'chicks', 'broads', etc. Or don't you mind? Or if your bf refers to you as 'his bird' etc.

To be honest, I find it just as offensive when girls refer to men as 'blokes', 'dudes', 'geezers' etc. We are MEN or GUYS, not 'blokes', 'dudes', 'geezers', ok!

I hate it, it sounds chavvy.
I hate being referred to as a "guy". Too Americanly.

As Al Murray would put it, "bloke" is a beautiful British term.
Reply 78
I don't understand how saying 'chicks', 'birds', 'broads' could ever be rude :s-smilie:.
Reply 79
Original post by sarahthegemini
I don't know anyone that refers to girls as 'broads' :s-smilie:
As for being called chicks or birds, CRINGE. What also makes me cringe is when guys refer to their gf as 'their misses' or a girl refers to her bf as 'her man' :lolwut:

Or women who refer to their husbands as 'hubby.' :dong:

And in regards to be referred to by those particular names, I'm not arsed. More than anything, I'd take pity on the man for espousing such a lame choice of vocabulary.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending