The Student Room Group

Girls, do you mind being called 'chicks', 'birds', 'broads' etc?

Scroll to see replies

vile terminology, makes you feel proper common
Reply 81
My OH sometimes calls me "his bird", but I just then call him "my bitch!" haha So it's all fair :P I'm not all that bothered :biggrin:
Original post by Stefan1991
I don't understand how saying 'chicks', 'birds', 'broads' could ever be rude :s-smilie:.

A broad means a whore in the world of the 1930s
I know noone uses it much, but I'd probably be less than pleased if someone called me that.
Reply 83
isn't being called a broad the same as calling a guy "package" as if to imply he has a large package????

i'd LOVE for someone to complemet me in this way. but dont see it happenin....:frown:
Reply 84
Original post by Trigger
1) It's sammich 2) this "joke" is so old my grandfather uses it 3) the people who use this phrase are often single or crap with women.

Possibly both in his case? :mmm:
...Who uses the word "broad" anyway? :lolwut:
Reply 86
Of course I would mind
Reply 87
Original post by Eveiebaby
A broad means a whore in the world of the 1930s
I know noone uses it much, but I'd probably be less than pleased if someone called me that.

What's wrong with being called a 'whore'?
What's wrong with being called a 'whore'?

Well its the same as being called a bitch, b*****d or a c**t. It's not exactly a positive term of endearment because of it's negative connotations.

I'm sure I'm not alone and it's hardly groundbreaking that women don't like to be called whores....
I dont call guys 'geezer' or 'bloke'. I hate those words,esp the first one.Strangely though,I dont really mind a guy using the word 'chick' but I hate 'bird'. Bit odd now I think about it XD
Reply 90
Yeah I don't like it, but I dont like soppy stuff like "babe" "baby" "sweetheart" either
Reply 91
Well its the same as being called a bitch, b*****d or a c**t. It's not exactly a positive term of endearment because of it's negative connotations.

I'm sure I'm not alone and it's hardly groundbreaking that women don't like to be called whores....

I thought whore= sexually promiscuous. And I don't think there's anything wrong with being sexually promiscuous.

All those words you listed above are thought of as "insulting", but they don't really mean anything. Why is calling someone a female genital so offensive? Why is **** a bad word but poo isn't? They mean the same thing.

Why is calling someone a bastard bad? Most children are born out of wedlock these days. And calling someone a female dog is bad? That's a bit harsh to female dogs.

Whatever someone calls you, it is either true or false. If it is true, accept it, move on. If it is false, call them and liar and defend yourself and prove them wrong. Case closed.
Reply 92
look at that BEAUTIFUL BIRD.

u mad?
I don't like it. I think when a guy refers to me as 'my bird' or 'the mrs' or anything like that it implies ownership, and is a bit disrespectful. I'm not just someone's girlfriend; I do have a life of my own. So I'd rather be known as 'Amy' :smile:
I thought whore= sexually promiscuous. And I don't think there's anything wrong with being sexually promiscuous.

All those words you listed above are thought of as "insulting", but they don't really mean anything. Why is calling someone a female genital so offensive? Why is **** a bad word but poo isn't? They mean the same thing.

Why is calling someone a bastard bad? Most children are born out of wedlock these days. And calling someone a female dog is bad? That's a bit harsh to female dogs.

Whatever someone calls you, it is either true or false. If it is true, accept it, move on. If it is false, call them and liar and defend yourself and prove them wrong. Case closed.

The literal way you have interpreted these words is fine and dandy but the fact of the matter is if someone called you anything to do with poo, you'd probably not be best pleased about it.

I dont think there is anything wrong with being responsibly promiscuous either. I have been myself in the past, but unfortunately the reality is that it is frowned upon in british society for women. It's unfortunately conservative moral code (which I dont agree with) which dictates and gives certain words negative associations.
Reply 95
I'd rather not, unless it's in jest. Just reminds me of the tomato-faced beer-swillers who I'd prefer not to associate with. However, I'm not entirely opposed to pet names. 'Mon petit chou' would be rather adorable. And for some reason, I wouldn't mind 'chook'?
Reply 96
The literal way you have interpreted these words is fine and dandy but the fact of the matter is if someone called you anything to do with poo, you'd probably not be best pleased about it.

Honestly, I think I'd get over it. I mean most swear words are either to do with faeces or sex, both pretty normal natural things.

I think it's childish to be offended by someone calling you a poo.
Honestly, I think I'd get over it. I mean most swear words are either to do with faeces or sex, both pretty normal natural things.

I think it's childish to be offended by someone calling you a poo.

Lol. I hear you. It's not particularly polite though. I would much be rather called by my actual name. And as it's 3 letters long, it really shouldnt be that much of an effort.
Reply 98
Depends on the context and if they are using an accent when they say it.
I'm fine if they're saying it ironically, but if they're serious.... no. Just no.
Reply 99
Original post by rachelkeira
Haha, doesn't bother me at all. I just find it funny.
Good lass! Seems the modern female students have a political correctness sense of humour failure!😂🤔😉😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending