The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Alexander
Why are there some people here who are so against Durham? It is almost always in the top fifteen in the main uni league tables, which use objective measurements, so it is firmly-established as one of the best unis. And The Times table rates it higher than both Warwick and Nottingham for Law (in fact it's fourth behind Oxbridge and the LSE) so on the strength of that choosing it seems rational enough.

Mainly Alexander, because there's a bunch of narrowminded people here that think their University will make them. Sadly, this is only about 25% (if that) of the truth. Any University in the Top 20 (also Russel Group) will do wonders for your future if you realise that you have the other skills to pay the bills (yes, the other 75%). This 75% is unheard of on this forum unfortunately, though I do enjoy watching dreamy students argue in a biased fashion over their University choices. How mislead they are...
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
Alexander
Why are there some people here who are so against Durham? It is almost always in the top fifteen in the main uni league tables, which use objective measurements, so it is firmly-established as one of the best unis. And The Times table rates it higher than both Warwick and Nottingham for Law (in fact it's fourth behind Oxbridge and the LSE) so on the strength of that choosing it seems rational enough.

Top 15, yes. My question is more directed towards those who insist it's the 3rd or 4th best university (academically) in the country though.
Reply 22
kenkennykenken
Im rejecting Warwick, Imperial, Manchester, and Nottingham to go to Durham

You're rejecting Imperial for Durham?
Are you mad?
kildare
Top 15, yes. My question is more directed towards those who insist it's the 3rd or 4th best university (academically) in the country though.

Well I think that the difference in quality between the top fifteen is only academic (sorry, dreadful pun)
Peapod
You're rejecting Imperial for Durham?
Are you mad?

A lot of people wouldn't want to go to a London uni, for various reasons. Also people might want to go somewhere where there are a variety of subjects being studied in order to meet a broader range of people, and somewhere with a more normal male:female ratio. Not everyone bases their choices entirely on league tables.
Reply 25
Alexander
A lot of people wouldn't want to go to a London uni, for various reasons. Also people might want to go somewhere where there are a variety of subjects being studied in order to meet a broader range of people, and somewhere with a more normal male:female ratio. Not everyone bases their choices entirely on league tables.

I wouldn't base my choice on just league tables unless the difference was substantial and I feel it is between imperial and Durham.
Peapod
I wouldn't base my choice on just league tables unless the difference was substantial and I feel it is between imperial and Durham.

Im rejecting Imperial College for Durham not because its a crap uni, but because mainly its in london and the living expense there is alot more. Also, im studying Physics, and for the past 3 years, Durham has been first in the Times league table for Physics & Astronomy. The idea of a collegiate system is also what helped me decide between Durham and Imperial College. Im sure in the end, if you try hard enough and get a 1st class honour, the employment chances and stuff wont differ too much. Oh and durham's also a really nice town
Reply 27
Alexander

This I agree with 100%.
Reply 28
kildare
Where does the whole 'Durham has a really good academic reputation' thing come from by the way?
Durham has a good academic reputation because it is a good place to study.

Durham is a good place to study because it has a good academic reputation.

Repeat ad infinitum.
Reply 29
lilsunflower
I thought I had been rejected coz' of my lousy GCSE grades, but I nearly screamed when my mum called to tell me I had a letter with the offer of ABC! I got into my choice college, St. John's and I'm definitely going to Durham now...

All my UCAS choices have come through
Leeds BBB
Manchester, Nottingham ABB
Warwick AAB
Durham ABC!!
Camrbridge - REJECTED :smile: WOOHOO! :smile:

Sorry about the rant.. I'm so happy
HOpe everyone is also having the same luck. Take care all!

Congrats lilsunflower!!! If I get in too we might meet in October...
lilsunflower
I thought I had been rejected coz' of my lousy GCSE grades, but I nearly screamed when my mum called to tell me I had a letter with the offer of ABC! I got into my choice college, St. John's and I'm definitely going to Durham now...

Leeds BBB
Warwick AAB
Durham ABC!!

Well done! I really want to go to Durham but i'm only in Year 12 @ the mo so at least 1.5 years to go :frown:
Reply 31
ben2111
Congrats lilsunflower!!! If I get in too we might meet in October...

Yayz! *Crosses fingers and hopes for you*.. now i'm dreadfully stuck between Nottingham and Durham. I have decided to just put a firm choice and no insurance, no, not because I'm arrogant, but because ABB and ABC do seem good targets.

I haven't got news from UCAS yet, though Durham has sent me a letter with my offer, and lots of other stuff about international procedures.

Now I just don't know where to go. A lot of my teachers tend to favour Durham, but I won't have my ensuite single room :smile: (said in good humour of course).

Let me know how you get on with Durham yeh? All the best.
Reply 32
yay i can't handle it!!! there are so many people coming to durham it's so cool!!

i'm so glad you all saw past the irrelevent people on this site who put durham down, they are quite blatantly just jealous and don't know what they are talking about!!!! but then that's hardly surprising is it......

hardcore!!!

oh and me and Han and michelle have been put in charge of organising the University freshers week for you guys!!!! (how the hell did that happen............)
AmyBlue
yay i can't handle it!!! there are so many people coming to durham it's so cool!!

i'm so glad you all saw past the irrelevent people on this site who put durham down, they are quite blatantly just jealous and don't know what they are talking about!!!! but then that's hardly surprising is it......

hardcore!!!

oh and me and Han and michelle have been put in charge of organising the University freshers week for you guys!!!! (how the hell did that happen............)

yup loads of people are going to durham yay. are you a student there?
Reply 34
yep i am............ as i've said before, ask me anything you wanna know about the place, and i will tell you....at great length........
Reply 35
lilsunflower

Leeds BBB
Warwick AAB
Durham ABC!!

Are you an overseas student, mature student or an international Rugby player or something?

I am AMAZED that you would get offers as such of Law, as someone else has said Warwick is the only one that is anything like a "proper" Law offer!!!
Reply 36
AmyBlue

hardcore!!!

Woot, lets all jump on the Durham bandwagon.

I hated the place on the couple of occasions that I have visited - certainly an extension of the public school system that I loathed! :biggrin:
Mark_KK
Woot, lets all jump on the Durham bandwagon.

I hated the place on the couple of occasions that I have visited - certainly an extension of the public school system that I loathed! :biggrin:

how could you hate it? i went there for open day last year and found it amazing. Im going again in march. Which college did you visit?
Reply 38
kenkennykenken
how could you hate it? i went there for open day last year and found it amazing. Im going again in march. Which college did you visit?

I have visited Van Midret (or whatever it is called), Castle, Cuths and one or two others including one of the girls ones where I once went to a ball.

Despite being public school educated at one time myself I didnt like it - I just felt that it was full of rah rahs who thought that they were something special because they went to Durham.

That is not to say that it is no good - just not to my taste!
Reply 39
Alexander

The Times subject rankings fluctuate alot and tend not to be particulalry acurate. A better measure is the overall rankings. The quality of most of Durhams courses has declined over the years and it tends to rely on it's reputation of old to make it attractive. However, the rep is just for being an old uni, rather than being academically the best. I imagine it will drop below the top 15 as years go by.

Also, the collegiate system isn't like oxbridge as much as people like to think. Sure you spend your 1st year there, but it's really only the place u reside in, not learn in, which is in department blocks. Plus you're chucked out in the second year, so you're not even in the coll anymore. Although you do represent your old col in sports teams etc.

That being said I have heard Law is one of Durhams better courses.

Latest