The Student Room Group

potential 2012 optometry applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by GThiarra1
just got an offer from city university,they said i have to get AAB to get in , but why are all u lot saying u need A*AA to get in?

same here, i got an A- chemistry, B - law, B - english language, C - biology, and City University's sent me a conditional offer for A - chemistry, A - biology and B - english language. If i got a C in biology and still got an offer, surely they'll have nothing to worry about
Original post by hpsauce07
Anyone going to bradford on the 23rd november? i am flying up from southampton going to be a long day! :smile:x

I'll be there :smile:
Original post by hpsauce07
Thats strange i havnt heard anything from plymouth or city :frown: thats also stange of plymouth if the others have given you offers i would have thought plymouth would be a bit more relaxed as they are a new course, obviously not.

Good luck though! i am just waiting to hear if anywhere actually wants me if not then i will go do maths.

I know, I was expecting Plymouth to be the most lenient of them all seeing as it's a brand new course for them! Guess I'll never find out why that's happened but it doesn't bother me too much. Good luck to you too!
just got an offer from city university,they said i have to get AAB to get in , but why are all u lot saying u need A*AA to get in?

Whaaat?! What did you get in your 4th AS level? I've been given the entry requirements of A*AA, even though I got a B in my 4th AS level, which is higher than the C they ask for on their website in order to qualify for the AAB entry requirements... Does City hate me? :frown:
Original post by Salmaa!
same here, i got an A- chemistry, B - law, B - english language, C - biology, and City University's sent me a conditional offer for A - chemistry, A - biology and B - english language. If i got a C in biology and still got an offer, surely they'll have nothing to worry about

Last year I got Biology A, Psychology A, English Lit B (resitting), Physics D (resitting). But City has given me an offer of A*AA in any order of Bio, Psych and Physics. Why aren't I being given an offer of AAB? Now I'm just going to choose Aston over City? :L

Because City have two sets of offers.

A*AA for those who don't have a C in a fourth AS (although someone said there seems to be a mix-up somewhere)
And AAB for people who DO have a C in a fourth AS
Original post by britchick
Whaaat?! What did you get in your 4th AS level? I've been given the entry requirements of A*AA, even though I got a B in my 4th AS level, which is higher than the C they ask for on their website in order to qualify for the AAB entry requirements... Does City hate me? :frown:

Why don't you email them asking for a reason? I believe they're supposed to if you ask.
Reply 227
Last year I got Biology A, Psychology A, English Lit B (resitting), Physics D (resitting). But City has given me an offer of A*AA in any order of Bio, Psych and Physics. Why aren't I being given an offer of AAB? Now I'm just going to choose Aston over City? :L

wow they're really good results, well done! And I have no idea how i got offered those conditions, mighta been a typo, I'm not complainin, and be careful with your choice, if it's harder to get into it's usually a better uni. I probably won't even be going to City Uni, if I get through my interview at manchester without making a tail of myself then that's definitely my first choice
My school finally sent off my UCAS form at 10.30 by 5.00 today I already had 2 acknowledgements. Both from Glasgow.:biggrin:
Now need to apply to bradford as fifth choice, anyone no how?:confused:
Gonna wait a few days cos if lucky enough to get interview I could b asked to go on 23/11 and that's my mums bday and don't want to miss that x

Well done to every1 with all your amazing offers:biggrin: x
Original post by Salmaa!
wow they're really good results, well done! And I have no idea how i got offered those conditions, mighta been a typo, I'm not complainin, and be careful with your choice, if it's harder to get into it's usually a better uni. I probably won't even be going to City Uni, if I get through my interview at manchester without making a tail of myself then that's definitely my first choice

Thanks! Although the D in Physics is depressing, I'm working hard to make it better :P I've emailed City like a week ago but I've still had no reply with regards to the A*AA thing, so I'll just see what they say.

For me, I'm chosing AR as my firm choice anyway so some people might say it's silly to even have an "insurance" choice because the rest have higher entry requirements but hey ho, anything can happen. I really liked City, and the fact that it has connections with Moorfields, but I don't like its location (I live in Greater London and I'd just like to live somewhere a little different). I liked Aston when I went too, but I'm guessing Aston is harder to get into, with the AAA entry requirements etc? And I withdrew my application to Manchester just less than an hour ago.
Original post by hannahmac4
My school finally sent off my UCAS form at 10.30 by 5.00 today I already had 2 acknowledgements. Both from Glasgow.:biggrin:
Gonna wait a few days cos if lucky enough to get interview I could b asked to go on 23/11 and that's my mums bday and don't want to miss that x

Why did you get 2 acknowledgements from Glasgow? Are you applying to two separate courses? :smile:

I only ended up getting 3 acknowledgements, and one of them was the day after they'd given me the offer XD
Why did you get 2 acknowledgements from Glasgow? Are you applying to two separate courses? :smile:

I only ended up getting 3 acknowledgements, and one of them was the day after they'd given me the offer XD

Optometry and opthalmic dispensing, a back up if I miss my conditions :smile:
Noticed your offers, congrats :biggrin: you must be so happy:smile: x

And to add another choice:

Log into Track (using the 10-digit Personal ID number that comes up in bold when you log into Apply, just remove the dashes in between - however if it doesn't let you log in, your ID may have changed and you'll have to wait for your new ID to come in the UCAS letter in the post).

If you can log in, click "choices" at the top middle.
Then click "add choice" at the bottom left.

Then follow instructions from there. :smile:
Optometry and opthalmic dispensing, a back up if I miss my conditions :smile:
Noticed your offers, congrats :biggrin: you must be so happy:smile: x

Oh I see! I was going to apply for OD at City or Anglia Ruskin but decided against it in the end. I wasn't sure about doing 2-3 years in OD to then do 3 years in Optometry, instead I might just take a year out, re-sit some modules then re-apply if my grades fail me :P
I didn't look into OD at Glasgow though, how many years is it there?

And thanks! Good luck with your application :biggrin: x
Reply 234
My college sent off my application on Tuesday...got 3 acknowledgements so far from Aston, Cardiff and Manchester in that order
Really hope I get an interview for Manchester! If not, then i'm hoping to get offers from Aston or City but i'm not too fussed :smile:
How long did it take for everyone to start to get their offers?
Original post by tina_1517
My college sent off my application on Tuesday...got 3 acknowledgements so far from Aston, Cardiff and Manchester in that order
Really hope I get an interview for Manchester! If not, then i'm hoping to get offers from Aston or City but i'm not too fussed :smile:
How long did it take for everyone to start to get their offers?

Anglia Ruskin - conditional offer after 5 days
Plymouth - rejection after 12 days
Aston - conditional offer after 19 days
City - conditional offer after 21 days
Manchester - interview invitiation after in 25 days
Reply 236
Anglia Ruskin - conditional offer after 5 days
Plymouth - rejection after 12 days
Aston - conditional offer after 19 days
City - conditional offer after 21 days
Manchester - interview invitiation after in 25 days

thankss :biggrin: woww! that's so good! you must be so happy that there's no more waiting and checking track 24/7 now :P
what were your predicted grades?
thankss :biggrin: woww! that's so good! you must be so happy that there's no more waiting and checking track 24/7 now :P
what were your predicted grades?

Thanks! You will not believe the amount of times I checked track for the first 2 days... it was in the half term so I was just checking it absolutely non-stop :L

I'm predicted
Psychology A*
Biology A
Physics B

I got my first offer from Anglia Ruskin and I was like YAYYYYYYY (my dream uni :smile:)
Then I got a rejection from Plymouth because I "did not meet the academic criteria" i.e. I'm predicted Physics B, so I was like "fair enough... I'm expecting the rest to be rejections then because I would need Physics to be an A for all the rest and I thought Plymouth would be the most lenient of them all seeing as it's a brand new course for that university..."
But then I got offers from Aston and City for AAA and A*AA, plus the interview from Manchester so I was like WHAT XD
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 238
Thanks! You will not believe the amount of times I checked track for the first 2 days... it was in the half term so I was just checking it absolutely non-stop :L

I'm predicted
Psychology A*
Biology A
Physics B

I got my first offer from Anglia Ruskin and I was like YAYYYYYYY (my dream uni :smile:)
Then I got a rejection from Plymouth because I "did not meet the academic criteria" i.e. I'm predicted Physics B, so I was like "fair enough... I'm expecting the rest to be rejections then because I would need Physics to be an A for all the rest and I thought Plymouth would be the most lenient of them all seeing as it's a brand new course for that university..."
But then I got offers from Aston and City for AAA and A*AA, plus the interview from Manchester so I was like WHAT XD

haha that's exactly what i'm like now! ahhh cool i'm pretty much the same as you i'm predicted psychology A*, biology A and chemistry B....my chem predicted is sooo annoying because i was only a couple of marks off an A but my college is stupid :frown:

ahh cool, is Anglia Ruskin any good? i couldn't go to their open day :frown: ohh right yeah i would've thought you get one from Plymouth?! they've just started the optom course aswell, but i guess it's no loss to you :smile:
omg that's so exciting for you, i really hope i get some offers!
Reply 239

Not had an acknowledgement from Aston and my application was sent off about a week and a half ago :/

Quick Reply

Latest