The Student Room Group

potential 2012 optometry applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hannahmac4
Anyone heard anything from caley yet? Sooooooo desperate to hear, want to go to caley so much! X

Still haven't heard past an acknowledgement.

However, Ulster did finally get their arses in gear and send an acknowledgement. Though they should get back around the 20th-30th Jan if they work quick enough. They won't even LOOK at allocations until the deadline's gone. I'm reckoning it's the same with Cali.
Reply 461
Original post by Funky_Munky
is the masters option better than the normal BSc one that manchester offer?

anyway, do you have any interview tips for manchester, as i have heard they are really tough:smile:

The masters is REALLY hard to get into, they interview the top 10 students (top 10 meaning best results) and they take on four only.
I guess, it does look and sound better having a degree that only you and 3 others in the whole country have- MOptom. Is it better? Im not sure, their fourth year is quite different, they do mixture of hospital and private placements as well as learn alot of other things at uni. It would be good because you get combined practise in hospital and private so you know exactly which you prefer, but its very hard to get into. Very hard! Theres 75 of us in year 1, 4 will be given a place so if you think of it in terms of uni offers, its like every 4 in 75 applicants. Haha, and they think med and dent is hard to get into :P

ok calm down if there are any undercover! :P

Interview tips, learn your personal statement very well, be prepared to talk about work experience and the exact reasons why you want to study optom. Erm erm alot of people get asked maths questions but i didnt but they asked me a wierd question "why do you think your good with people" and i stared at him for a few seconds then began my waffling.
I'm now getting very worried about my resits. :/ I need As in the maths and Bs (although preferably As) in the biology and I've barely done anything yet! I know I should be doing more work but I clearly have no motivation.

It's my own fault I guess. I should've done more in June.

Sorry to vent here, just wondered if any potential coursemates are doing the same? D:
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
I'm now getting very worried about my resits. :/ I need As in the maths and Bs (although preferably As) in the biology and I've barely done anything yet! I know I should be doing more work but I clearly have no motivation.

It's my own fault I guess. I should've done more in June.

Sorry to vent here, just wondered if any potential coursemates are doing the same? D:

I was like this last year.

Just take it easy. don't stress. the more you stress the worse you'll perform.

Work towards those offers. The offers should be motivation!!!

take breaks from work but don't watch TV or anything that will distract you for a long period of time.

good luck! :cool:

oh and also if you want help with anything; some questions or a topic, just drop me a PM. I'll try reply within the same day as I check TSR often :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ?!master?!mini?!
I was like this previous January.

Just take it easy. don't stress. the more you stress the worse you'll perform.

Work towards those offers. The offers should be motivation!!!

take breaks from work but don't watch TV or anythjing that will distract you for a long period of time.

good luck! :cool:

The AR offer was motivation when it came through, but that was back in October.
I think I shy away from work because I'm scared of not knowing it. Like, I just looked at an example paper on AQA and I didn't know like any of the stuff and now I'm panicking. :/
The AR offer was motivation when it came through, but that was back in October.
I think I shy away from work because I'm scared of not knowing it. Like, I just looked at an example paper on AQA and I didn't know like any of the stuff and now I'm panicking. :/

make sure you go over the content of the syllabus thoroughly, making sure you undersatnd all the points in your specification. Then get on to exam papers.

Specimen AQA papers are a bitch and not a real representation of the exam btw. AND have loadsa errors, as many people found out last year.

As I said above, if you want some help with questions or topics, just PM me and I'll try to reply the same day :smile:
make sure you go over the content of the syllabus thoroughly, making sure you undersatnd all the points in your specification. Then get on to exam papers.

Specimen AQA papers are a bitch and not a real representation of the exam btw. AND have loadsa errors, as many people found out last year.

As I said above, if you want some help with questions or topics, just PM me and I'll try to reply the same day :smile:

Yeah, I know the stuff about the specimen. I figured I'd start at the deep end though haha... I think I'm more worried about bio especially because I KNOW I can do well in maths if I do enough papers and whatnot...

And I'll bear you in mind if I'm struggling. Off to do some work now!
i would have done optometry but went for pharmacy instead. still optometry is an interesting field
Original post by James A
i would have done optometry but went for pharmacy instead. still optometry is an interesting field

:whip:
Yeah, I know the stuff about the specimen. I figured I'd start at the deep end though haha... I think I'm more worried about bio especially because I KNOW I can do well in maths if I do enough papers and whatnot...

And I'll bear you in mind if I'm struggling. Off to do some work now!

:yes:
:whip:

whip whippp, no on a more serious note i thought i would be better off in pharmacy, i like organic chemistry alot !
Original post by James A
whip whippp, no on a more serious note i thought i would be better off in pharmacy, i like organic chemistry alot !

fair enough.

which one do you have a bigger interest in?
fair enough.

which one do you have a bigger interest in?

well pharmacy of course, because im preparing for my interviews and im loving the structures of the organic molecules.

the formula for asprin looks nice :colone:
Original post by Vashta Nerada
same on the caley front, it's my only chance of optometry cos I can't be affording the fees down south :/

Same with me, so expensive down south!. Have you applied for any other courses? What grades did you get, results wise, in 2011?
Really want to hear back, hopefully we don't have to wait too long :smile:
hi guys,
i'm taking a gap year during 2013, so i haven't applied yet
i know its way too late for you guys, but kinda early for me
i was wondering, in the optometry personal statements,
what should you include and what inspired to do the career
i find this really difficult as i think about it, because you can't really say anything much about eyes
could i perhaps start with saying that my mumhas type 2 diabetes and this branches onto blindness etc
therfore, following my interest into optometry?
what do you guys think

anyone please :-)
hi guys,
i find this really difficult as i think about it, because you can't really say anything much about eyes
could i perhaps start with saying that my mumhas type 2 diabetes and this branches onto blindness etc
what do you guys think

Well, I said that I got interested when I got glasses and found everything my optician said fascinating. And that I did work experience in an optician and also a school, so obviously the optician I decided I liked the career and the teaching experience showed me I wanted to look after people but in a clinical setting. If you know someone with colourblindness or glaucoma or something you could put that in too.
Original post by hannahmac4
Same with me, so expensive down south!. Have you applied for any other courses? What grades did you get, results wise, in 2011?
Really want to hear back, hopefully we don't have to wait too long :smile:

i got AAAAB, and have also applied to medicine and podiatry, totally regret the whole podiatry thing now, and I basically have no chance at medicine cos it's so stupidly competitive, but then so's this and I don't have higher physics so I don't know if that'll put me at a disadvantage :/. What grades did you get?
Reply 477
What questions are asked at the Manchester interview for Optom?? anyone?
Reply 478
hi guys,
what do you guys think

i think its a good start but u need to go into a lot more detaill and whyy youuu want to do it
Just recieved my first offer from Anglia Ruskin - ABB. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest