The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York accommodation/college info and questions 2011/12

Scroll to see replies

Sunflower28
How comes all the accommodation is going? I thought the A level students have to wait untill they get there results before they can apply for accommodation?

They do.

A selection of the accom was made available to the unconditional firm students. This is the accommodation that is supposedly going.
University of York
York
Toasted marshmellows
It wasn't very informative really, just a letter and a few booklets -welfare, MAD, accom, freshers. I've got an unconditional - so i guess i get it before most?

Im an unconditional, got my accommodation and everything...but no pack.

Feel unloved :frown:
However my room number is AL/J***
Flat three in Block J2 :smile:

Anyone else anywhere near there?

x
Reply 183
Cowtipper
Got an offer from Vanbrugh today.
VA/Axxx whatever that means.

Which floor?

A0xx = ground
A1xx = middle
A2xx = second

Anyhoo, congrats. I know your STYCs, swell people. You're gonna have fun.
Since a lot of you have now confirmed your accommodation can you please tell me if you need to immediately put a deposit down and what the amount is... thanks :biggrin:.
Reply 185
Donald Barron is where it's at people, best accommodation on campus - fact! :p:
Annie354
Since a lot of you have now confirmed your accommodation can you please tell me if you need to immediately put a deposit down and what the amount is... thanks :biggrin:.

You have 7 days to pay when you receive the email and its £200 which comes off your first month rent :smile:
Anyone in Langwith or Derwent E & F Block?

message me if u are
looks like im alone atm :frown:
Balth
Which floor?

A0xx = ground
A1xx = middle
A2xx = second

Anyhoo, congrats. I know your STYCs, swell people. You're gonna have fun.

A1, so middle I guess. What's the A block accommodation like?
supercoolfred
Means all the other accomodation has been taken (I presume).
Unlucky.

No, you misunderstand: this is on the 'Vanbrugh college accommodation' page, not on the evision system.
Annie354

£200 and within 7 days. Welcome back Annie. Has been a while since you graced these York forums.
I rung the people today about results day and the times the batches will be sent-from 9am Thur to 9am Fri!! OMG and its totally random who gets when!!
xxx
Reply 192
Cowtipper
No, you misunderstand: this is on the 'Vanbrugh college accommodation' page, not on the evision system.

Vanbrugh A block is Le Page court, iirc
Reply 193
Cowtipper
A1, so middle I guess. What's the A block accommodation like?

Awesome. Best floor by a country mile - high enough to make climbling up the wall into your room whilst drunk a challenge, but not high enough to make it a suicide mission. Your STYCs are ace, I love them as my own brothers (and sisters... but mainly brothers). I might even join in as a fake STYC (all the fun, none of the responsibilities). Which room you in?

The accommodation's fine. It's not the Ritz, or Hilton for that matter, but it's alright. Wasn't a great fan of the toilets the first week - they haven't been renovated since... well, ever, but I soon grew very fond of them. I grew especially fond of the one just outside my door. Don't worry about showers and toilets. There are six toilets and as many showers on the floor, and a couple more in the connecting B block, but to be honest we (me and my 11 homies in "our" end of the corridor) got by swimmingly on three of each - never any issues/queues/what have you.

The kitchen situation is... interesting. There are three kitchens - two small ones and an absolutely massive one. In theory there's an abundance of space, but in practice not so much. For some reason one of the small kitchens was a hugely popular place so it was always cramped, the other one was taken over by foreigners (we called it the foreign kitchen and stole all their chairs because we needed them more than they did), and the huge, massive one was just kind of... the wicked stepsister you tried to avoid as much as possible (it's a very, very long way away by student standards) unless there was a party going on, in which case it was the place to be.

The rooms are okay. Some are huge, others are quite small. The beds are comfy, atleast mine was, and you'll soon learn how to love the stains on the carpet. You'll probably even add a couple yourself - I know I did (HA!).

Some pics of my room and its lovely view:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2524/3808516989_9706306c6c_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3490/3808518207_5cae4b8304_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2448/3808519665_2d33e5cc7b_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3505/3808521823_47b3d8c6f5_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3535/3808524245_0c9b211fda_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2581/3808526521_f98fc8ee94_b.jpg

Also: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=130385110644
Is there anyone on here who is already in Alcuin accommodation, and if so could they tell us what its like, good bits, bad bits etc...and if possible a few pictures?
Im going to be in J2 block so if anyone was near there or in it it would be really helpful :smile:
Reply 195
Anyone in Goodricke? Got my offer today. If I decline this offer, and apply for another do you think its likely to get that choice? Not sure about Goodricke, far away..?
Cowtipper

oops, my bad.
Reply 197
QUOTE:
If we are waiting for examination results then we will send your pack and accommodation details to you after the main A level results are received in August. The pack will tell you what accommodation is available and its facilities and prices and will explain how you apply for accommodation. It will also contain other paperwork that you need to complete, such as your application for a University card.

Can the above be done by email this year? As I'm abroad this summer and can't receive any of them by post...

BTW

If I get the grades needed, can I apply for accomodation straight away on 20th Aug (just try to get a better room lol)?

When will EU students start? Same as UK students on 11 October? Or will be treated as international to arrive a few days prior?

Do I have to send a copy of my passport?

What is the best way to travel from London to University of York? (In detail please)
Reply 198
s2000_147
Can the above be done by email this year? As I'm abroad this summer and can't receive any of them by post...

BTW

If I get the grades needed, can I apply for accomodation straight away on 20th Aug (just try to get a better room lol)?

When will EU students start? Same as UK students on 11 October? Or will be treated as international to arrive a few days prior?

Do I have to send a copy of my passport?

What is the best way to travel from London to University of York? (In detail please)

Don't know about the first two questions.

We're treated as home students, and I don't know of anyone who had to send in a copy of their passport. You do need a couple of passport photos for the uni card and some other shizzle, but that's another story.

If you're coming from Heathrow: get the Heathrow Express to Paddington -> grab a taxi to Kings Cross (usually about £9 to ~£15ish depending on traffic) -> train to York -> no. 4 bus to the uni, or a taxi. Easy peasy.
Reply 199
Umm any postgrads here? I'll be on Wentworth - found out today!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending