The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York accommodation/college info and questions 2011/12

Scroll to see replies

I Love Dog
Thanks for the advice. Seems like for 2010/11 Derwent and Langwith are mostly catered, but Vanbrugh sounds good and is about £800 a year cheaper than Goodricke, so substantial beer money :p:

Any idea which would be the best accommodation within Vanbrugh to go for? I know Le Page Court is at the north of the lake, which is good, and Fairfax/Fulford are a bit removed so I'm not as interested in those. Eric Milner-White sounds good since the kitchens got refurbished, but I'm probably over thinking it.

I'm not sure which direction of the lake is north... :-S And which court is which.

I think Le Page is the one 'in central Vanbrugh' nearest Costcutter, V Bar and the History Dept. I've peeked in at the kitchens I can see, and the look decent in a 'refurbished' way. There's a sort of grassy courtyard that people often sit out on in the summer but the rooms are also upstairs from V Bar which may be noisy and near lecturers' offices.

The other court (Eric Milner?) nearer James and the Maths Dept is part of 'Old Goodricke,' and whilst you shouldn't be in Cell Block C/N Block as it's now James - the accommodation isn't the nicest - although quite social!

However, I think both sections were built at the same time so the rooms shouldn't vary too much unless they've been refurbished. Oh and two people I know lived in a block (Eric Milner) directly overlooking the lake... there was a lot of duck noise! So, I guess I don't know really (I know that's not helpful :-( ) - Do you actually get to choose between the two on the application? L

ast year, it was only Fairfax and New Vanbrugh (the en-suites) you selected a separate option for?
University of York
York
*R*a*c*h*
I'm not sure which direction of the lake is north... :-S And which court is which.

I think Le Page is the one 'in central Vanbrugh' nearest Costcutter, V Bar and the History Dept. I've peeked in at the kitchens I can see, and the look decent in a 'refurbished' way. There's a sort of grassy courtyard that people often sit out on in the summer but the rooms are also upstairs from V Bar which may be noisy and near lecturers' offices.

The other court (Eric Milner?) nearer James and the Maths Dept is part of 'Old Goodricke,' and whilst you shouldn't be in Cell Block C/N Block as it's now James - the accommodation isn't the nicest - although quite social!

However, I think both sections were built at the same time so the rooms shouldn't vary too much unless they've been refurbished. Oh and two people I know lived in a block (Eric Milner) directly overlooking the lake... there was a lot of duck noise! So, I guess I don't know really (I know that's not helpful :-( ) - Do you actually get to choose between the two on the application? L

ast year, it was only Fairfax and New Vanbrugh (the en-suites) you selected a separate option for?

It says you can specify a preference for blocks/courts here
http://www.york.ac.uk/admin/accom/onlineapps/ugfaq.htm#blocks

Doesn't sound like there's too much between Le Page and Eric Milner. I'd just rather not be outside of the main campus (i.e. in Fairfax) is all.

Donald Barron/Barbara Scott sound good too, but I think they're all in band 4 (i.e. £112/week).

Any idea what other colleges I should apply for? Probably going to be Vanbrugh first (preferably Le Page... wish it'd tell you exactly where the 360 degree views are from, but this looks fine) and Langwith second (apparently there are only 45 non-catered places in the whole college... guess that means I'd have plenty of kitchen space :confused:), but I don't know how many I'll need in total.
I Love Dog
Any idea what other colleges I should apply for? Probably going to be Vanbrugh first (preferably Le Page... wish it'd tell you exactly where the 360 degree views are from, but this looks fine) and Langwith second (apparently there are only 45 non-catered places in the whole college... guess that means I'd have plenty of kitchen space :confused:), but I don't know how many I'll need in total.

Derwent. It's only catered 5/7 days of the week, plus I reckon it'd help to mix up the blocks a bit (not that that's much of a problem in Derwent anyway)... so would be more sociable. Plus, if you're that bothered you can always cook for yourself in the kitchens can't ya? But yea, anything but Langwith. And if you like to partaaay, go to Derwent.
bwoolley
Derwent. It's only catered 5/7 days of the week, plus I reckon it'd help to mix up the blocks a bit (not that that's much of a problem in Derwent anyway)... so would be more sociable. Plus, if you're that bothered you can always cook for yourself in the kitchens can't ya? But yea, anything but Langwith. And if you like to partaaay, go to Derwent.

Haha, I don't really fancy paying for catered when I wouldn't be eating the food. If I wanted to spend £20/week more I'd apply for some newer accommodation :p:
I Love Dog
Haha, I don't really fancy paying for catered when I wouldn't be eating the food. If I wanted to spend £20/week more I'd apply for some newer accommodation :p:

Man up and eat the food then :tongue: Just come Derwent, you'll love it trust me.
bwoolley
Man up and eat the food then :tongue: Just come Derwent, you'll love it trust me.

The fact that Derwent have yet to realise your amazing PR abilities for their college is simply wasting talent!
Reply 586
Hiiii.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before... but does anybody know what kind of info you need for the accommodation process?

Will the email the Uni sends to you on results' day (or the day after) provide everything you need for it?

I only ask because I'm on holiday on results' day (don't ask, wasn't planned!) and have delegated my accommodation to a family member, eee. I want to make sure they're prepared and I haven't had a response from the Uni yet. :/

Any help from previous applicants would be really appreciated! Slightly stressed.

P.S. Do you need to specify the block/whatever within the college you want to apply for as well as the "en-suite/self-catered", etc, info? Tyvm!
Ambielina
Hiiii.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before... but does anybody know what kind of info you need for the accommodation process?

Will the email the Uni sends to you on results' day (or the day after) provide everything you need for it?

I only ask because I'm on holiday on results' day (don't ask, wasn't planned!) and have delegated my accommodation to a family member, eee. I want to make sure they're prepared and I haven't had a response from the Uni yet. :/

Any help from previous applicants would be really appreciated! Slightly stressed.

P.S. Do you need to specify the block/whatever within the college you want to apply for as well as the "en-suite/self-catered", etc, info? Tyvm!

I'm not completeley sure how it will run this year - but what they had last year was three drop down lists on the application form:

1. College (you pick Vanbrugh, Alcuin, Langwith etc)
2. Let (33 week, 38 week, 51 week).
3. Bathroom facilitites (Standard/En-suite)

This year, I know they're adding rent bands - so they're probably a list with options of bands and quality of accomodation - I'd check York's website.

On the app, you won't be able to apply for anything that's already gone. E.g. if all the 33 week en-suites in Vanbrugh in a certain rent band have gone, they won't show up on the screen.

You should receive an email on results day at some point detailing how to access the application for accommodation (via e-vision). They send them out in batches so check your account from 10am onwards every half an hour.

I'd think about what type of room you'd like before results day - make a list of your choices, with back up options if the first aren't available. Also, think what's the most important option for you - college, bathroom, let, rent band. If it's college you shouldn't have too much problem getting a room but things like en-suite/let/catering can be more difficult. Oh yeah, you might have a catered option this year as part of Derwent/Langwith is catered but I'm not sure whether that'll appear under rent band?

This is what I did:

Choices: Vanbrugh En-suite 38 weeks.
Alcuin En-suite 38 weeks.

Back ups: James En-suite 38 weeks
Derwent standard 38 weeks.
Vanbrugh standard 38 weeks.

When I applied about midday on results day - all the en-suite Vanbrugh rooms had gone and all the 38 week Alcuin lets had gone (I'm not sure whether all James' en-suite 38 lets had gone as well).

I ended up selecting Alcuin En-suite 33 week let. And I've been very happy with it!

Hope that helps!
why would 38 week be more popular than 33 week? does it cover like easter holiday or something?
hannah9000
why would 38 week be more popular than 33 week? does it cover like easter holiday or something?

It covers Easter, so you pay for 5 weeks more rent but then you don't have to move your stuff out. 'Moving out' was a hassle for me as I had a lot of stuff and not a big enough car, so yeah a lot of people prefer a 38 week let.
*R*a*c*h*
It covers Easter, so you pay for 5 weeks more rent but then you don't have to move your stuff out. 'Moving out' was a hassle for me as I had a lot of stuff and not a big enough car, so yeah a lot of people prefer a 38 week let.

ah that does make sense i suppose.

i'm trying not to think about this though. i made a list of all my fave accom a while ago so i can just dig out the massive list on results day and see if ANY of it is still available.
Ambielina
Hiiii.

You'll also need a way of paying the deposit! Once your accomodation offer has been made you have a limited amount of time to pay the deposit, so if you're not going to be back for a while after results day make sure whoever's looking after your application has a way to do so.
Reply 592
*R*a*c*h*

Hope that helps!

Helped immensely, thank you! I like to be prepared, and being away is a bit annoying.

I'm making my family member a list of accommodation preferences so it'll be easier for her on the day. I'm doing Politics but was going to apply to James college. I know it's based in Derwent but moves around, so would that really matter, in your opinion?

Also, my back up was going to be a standard room (I'm applying for an en-suite... massive germ issues ¬_¬). Do you have any opinion on where the best/worst would be to apply, or is it much of a muchness? I was thinking Vanbrugh or James again. What's Halifax like compared?

Thank you!
Ambielina
I'm doing Politics but was going to apply to James college. I know it's based in Derwent but moves around, so would that really matter, in your opinion?

Also, my back up was going to be a standard room (I'm applying for an en-suite... massive germ issues ¬_¬). Do you have any opinion on where the best/worst would be to apply, or is it much of a muchness? I was thinking Vanbrugh or James again. What's Halifax like compared?

I do PPE and had no Politics lectures or seminars in Derwent throughout the year. You'll find most/all of the lectures are in L/N/028 (Langwith), and I had Pol seminars in Langwith and Wentworth, though these could be different dependent on your seminar grouping. So to answer your question, it really doesn't matter one bit.

In answer to your 2nd question, I'd obviously go for Derwent because it's the best college. But you can do worse than Vanbrugh and James, i.e. Langwith. I'd avoid Halifax too, it's isolated and a bit of a trek.
Could someone explain to me/direct me to a thread about what each college is like?
I don't really have a clue about where to pick, and what kinda people (if that even happens) apply to each college, as I am proper stumped.
Other than this thread, I'm not sure. It's probably best looking on the York Unis page. I go to Derwent, so I'm bound to be a bit biased, but I'll give it a go:

Alcuin: Nice accomodation, but on the more expensive side. It's near the library and fairly central. Their blocks are organised in quads, with a grassy area making up the quad area. I really like the Alcuin people I know, they're all really friendly but they say the college events are pretty dire. The blocks are made up of flats and I've heard that some people are a little unsociable and tend to isolate themselves a bit, so if you're in a flat full of them it might not be so fun - what are chances of that though?

Derwent: Not-so-good accomodation. It's not got boarded up windows and spiders crawling everywhere, but it's not nearly as swish as somewhere like Alcuin - but it is cheaper, and i've heard no complaints over last year about it. It's situated fairly centrally, near to Heslington Village and is organised into 6 blocks, each with 3/4 floors, and, unlike other colleges, it doesn't have a keycard system incorporated into the doors - this means that, as long as you know the code to one block, you can roam freely on all floors, which adds to its sociability. There is a nice big green area called The Quiet Place situated outside B block with a bbq pit, which is great in the summer. Derwent events are by far the most active of all colleges. Unlike other colleges we regularly sell out on our events - our main one being the themed Club D events, which run 3 or 4 times per term. We organise and hold the largest annual event on campus - Big D, where we transform Derwent and Langwith into whichever theme the committee chooses - this year it was SinneD. So yea, Derwent has quite a good reputation for being the most sociable college with a great college spirit, all the blocks are pretty integrated and everyone knows everyone. You might say I'm bound to say that 'cos it's my college.. but I'm confident most non-Derwenters would say the same. A negative for some would be its switch to becoming catered as of next year (there may be some non-catered though, I'm not sure).

Goodricke: Goodricke has, as of last year, been relocated to York's new campus - Heslington East, about 15 minutes walk from main campus (I walked back from there highly intoxicated one night so this is a very rough estimate), though I believe there is a regular (free?) bus service to the main campus. It's a massive ongoing development which involves moving not only Goodricke but other colleges as well as several departments over to the new campus. Due to this, the accomodation is very new, though has had a few teething problems in Winter and is probably a bit more pricey, so you're likely to get a few more rich kids down that end. I've heard their events are actually really good, and they have an xbox in their jcr attached to a projector, which is pretty snazzy. I don't actually know too many people in Goodricke so I'm not massively sure what it's like there, from what I've heard it's quite cliquey though.

Halifax: The largest college, situated about 5-10 minutes walk from central campus. It's right next to 22 Acres (the sports fields), and therefore not far from the gym and tennis courts, so it's a good college for sport enthusiasts. It's organised in houses of 10 (?) within courts, which again are kind of like the quads in Alcuin. Halifax is actually the only college that I don't know someone from, so I can't comment on the quality of their events. They also have a costcutter in their college with basics, so you don't have to trek all the way on to the campus costcutter.

James: James is also situated right in the middle of the sports area of the campus. It's perfect if you're going to be going to the gym or doing any kind of sport at York - and consequently they tend to have pretty decent sports teams. It's accomodation is pretty swish too, though they may've taken over some of Goodricke's old accomodation on the Hes West campus - which would be pretty grubby in comparison. Their accomodation is also situated in blocks, organised again in quads, with biggish grassy areas. I know alot of really nice people in James, and if it has the same quality of people next year I'd highly recommend it. I think it's similar in many ways to Alcuin to be honest, it has the same pros and cons, except James is situated in a better location for sports. Plus, I've not really heard that much about unsociable people in James.

Langwith: Due to its "rivalry" with Derwent, I'm bound to dislike Langwith. But it does have some pros. It's very central, it houses the Student Union Bar, the Courtyard, and contrary to popular belief, does have some quite nice people. However, though it houses the Union Bar and is rather nice, all other colleges also have their own college bars, they're just not as nice - however, it's shape makes it terrible for events. We did Derwent Invades Langwith to the Courtyard when our bar was (and still is) being refurbished, and it wasn't nearly as good. I have heard their events are pretty terrible and personally I'd advise against living there. Its accomodation is as nice as Derwents (they were built around the same time, with the same ugly design) and is also organised in a similar manner to Derwent, with floors within blocks - the only difference being a keycard system is in use, restricting access. The majority of Langwith is also becoming catered from next year, and I believe you'll have to make the trek over to Vanbrugh Dining Hall every morning for your breakfast (and dinner). It also doesn't have a great deal of green space to itself. So yea, in my opinion avoid.

Vanbrugh: The most central college. It's no more than a few minutes walk to the sports centre, the library, most large lecture theatres and also houses the campus Costcutter. It has new and old accomodation. The new I'm guessing will be very nice, on par with Alcuin and Goodricke, with large kitchens. The old accom is similar, and I'd say if anything slightly worse, than Derwent and Langwith. It's quite good for music and the arts generally, though their events do seem a bit dire. From those I've met they're generally very nice and sociable. Again, it lacks nice big green areas (can you tell I like green areas?). Also Fairfax House, an asylum-like mansion about 10 minutes from central campus, is part of Vanbrugh. It's on the way to town so useful for nights out I guess but it's no doubt at least a bit of a pain having to walk further than you would otherwise have to for seminars and lectures. I've heard it's quite fun though and they've had the odd party which sounded cool.

That's all I got I'm afraid!! Hope it helps!
bwoolley
x

Cheers mate that has helped me loads:biggrin: .
I think i'll probably go for Derwent. I am doing politics and apparently that is where the politics stuff is done, and it seemed nice enough on the open day.
Though thanks loads for typing that all out, has been really helpful.
Krakatoa
Cheers mate that has helped me loads:biggrin: .
I think i'll probably go for Derwent. I am doing politics and apparently that is where the politics stuff is done, and it seemed nice enough on the open day.
Though thanks loads for typing that all out, has been really helpful.

Yep, one of my reasons for choosing Derwent was 'cos Phil and Pol are based there, but that actually means sweet fa - most of my contact hours were in Langwith or Vanbrugh. But choose Derwent anyway, you'll have a killer year!! Let me know if you want to know anything about anything, I'll try help.
I've cut my decision down to 3: Halifax, Vanborough, Langwith.
I just dont know where to go from there. I like a good social life, but not endless parties. I like some quite.
Cheap and non ensuite. I'm not sporty, and want easy walk from lectures, library and things.

Any suggestions?

Also. Everyones saying about how one college has a big event. Can anyone go to these? or just for those living in the colleges?
Missy Sara
I've cut my decision down to 3: Halifax, Vanborough, Langwith.
I just dont know where to go from there. I like a good social life, but not endless parties. I like some quite.
Cheap and non ensuite. I'm not sporty, and want easy walk from lectures, library and things.

Any suggestions?

Also. Everyones saying about how one college has a big event. Can anyone go to these? or just for those living in the colleges?

I'd recommend Vanbrugh out of those three. You can go to any college's event and V has a good reputation for theirs and a lot of people not in their college go to them as it's a central location.

From the friends I have in Halifax, it seems the rowdiest accommodation (to make up for the isolated position lol) but they're not any further from the uni than a second year house would be so the distance isn't too bad...

Langwith, again is quite central but has a more quiet reputation and tends to team up with neighbout Derwent for events (but they do have the Courtyard). Living above the bar could be noisy though but again everything closes at midnight except when there's an event.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending