The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York accommodation/college info and questions 2011/12

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
So I was thinking of either Donald Barron, or one of the Alcuin blocks. I'm studying English, so Vanbrugh seems to be a bit closer, though I don't think that really matters with the size of the campus.
I'm just trying to decide between 33 weeks or 39 weeks, to be honest, 33 weeks seems to be the best option, but I live quite a long way away from York, how much of a problem, and how awkward is it to be away in Easter, do you think it would be?
University of York
York
Reply 981
Hey there
I'm still deciding which accommodation to apply for. Really need help as I know almost nothing about the colleges.
I'm taking up a Computer Science course so, is it recommendable for me to apply for Goodricke as it is the closest to the CS Department?
Please post your suggestions.
Thank you!:biggrin:
Reply 982
Original post by Gracie312
So I was thinking of either Donald Barron, or one of the Alcuin blocks. I'm studying English, so Vanbrugh seems to be a bit closer, though I don't think that really matters with the size of the campus.
I'm just trying to decide between 33 weeks or 39 weeks, to be honest, 33 weeks seems to be the best option, but I live quite a long way away from York, how much of a problem, and how awkward is it to be away in Easter, do you think it would be?

I also live really far away and I want a 33-week - apparently there's a fair number of cheap storage places in York, so you can easily ditch big things that you won't need over Easter :smile:

Original post by agnezmo
How many rooms are there for Vanburgh en-suite band 2?

According to this there are 4, and I think I read somewhere that they're only available for people with disabilites.
Reply 983
Original post by Vekeh
According to this there are 4, and I think I read somewhere that they're only available for people with disabilites.

Okay thanks for the info. So ensuite is now only Band 3 and Band 4. Expensive :frown:
Reply 984
roughly how long does it take to walk from james to the english department?
At what point in the application cycle do you need to choose a college?

As far as I can tell then you don't have to pick before you submit your UCAS application?
Original post by fluteflute
At what point in the application cycle do you need to choose a college?

As far as I can tell then you don't have to pick before you submit your UCAS application?

No, not at all, I'm in the current application cycle and won't pick my college until results day.
Original post by kuroshokora

Original post by kuroshokora
No, not at all, I'm in the current application cycle and won't pick my college until results day.

Oh okay, no need to think about it for a long time then! And won't have to bother I don't firm/insurance York. Thanks :smile:
Reply 988
thanks for the replies ¬¬
Reply 989
Guys,are there currently any construction sites around any of the colleges and if there are will they be finished until the start of the school year?Also in general which are the quietest colleges and for someone with sleeping disorder which college would you suggest(also opinions on private accommodation on that matter)thanks in advance for any useful info.
Original post by jjbb93
thanks for the replies ¬¬

Your question has been answered about a hundred times in the thread, use the search function as well, CS guy. Jeez.

Original post by Astrum
Guys,are there currently any construction sites around any of the colleges and if there are will they be finished until the start of the school year?Also in general which are the quietest colleges and for someone with sleeping disorder which college would you suggest(also opinions on private accommodation on that matter)thanks in advance for any useful info.

There are 'quiet blocks' within most colleges, just apply for those.
(edited 12 years ago)
If you like fun, go to Derwent. It's got a great atmosphere, by far the best college events, and it's pretty difficult not to find a great group of friends with similar interests. Vanbrugh and James are next-bests. I think any other college is a risk in terms of sociability - I've heard several horror stories from Goodricke and Alcuin, and everyone knows Langwith is a no-go. Also, definitely don't pick your college based on proximity to your department - they're all pretty close to one another and there are far more important things to look for in a college.

I'm going in to my 3rd year now and obviously gonna be a little biased towards my college, but from speaking to people from other colleges what I've said above seems to be a reasonably fair take on each college.
Reply 992
cant afford ensuite. So i guess my first choice is Vanbrugh Eric Wilner, second is Langwith Block E & third choice is derwent block F.
Reply 993
is the re-furbished Halifax accommodation a good option? the website says it's going to be ready by October '11 and it looks beautiful! http://www.york.ac.uk/colleges/halifax/accommodation/
is the college isolated from the rest of the campus?
Reply 994
Original post by ibvictim
is the re-furbished Halifax accommodation a good option? the website says it's going to be ready by October '11 and it looks beautiful! http://www.york.ac.uk/colleges/halifax/accommodation/

Halifax is quite isolated- you'll have about an extra ten minutes' walk on top of the standard commute to lectures.

Not particularly bad if you don't mind hoofing it.
Reply 995
Original post by AirRaven

Original post by AirRaven
Halifax is quite isolated- you'll have about an extra ten minutes' walk on top of the standard commute to lectures.

Not particularly bad if you don't mind hoofing it.

ah yeah, I thought so. I think I'll just go with James college:smile: cheers

Halifax was great, I really enjoyed my time there last year and all the houses I repped for found it great as well. Yes, it is slightly off campus, but that means we have a bit more privacy, no duck **** everywhere, nice communal grassy areas for BBQs, the house system (which IMO is far better than flats) and the Charles pub only a 5 min walk away. If you bring a bike, which lots of people do, it's 2 mins to campus, and barely more anywhere else.

Original post by agnezmo
cant afford ensuite. So i guess my first choice is Vanbrugh Eric Wilner, second is Langwith Block E & third choice is derwent block F.

Eric Milner is commonly known as 'Cell Block', make of that what you will!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 997
I read on the website that you can only move into your room on the 8th or 9th of October. where do people stay during induction week? is there any way one could move in earlier? this is veeeery inconvenient!
I read on the website that you can only move into your room on the 8th or 9th of October. where do people stay during induction week? is there any way one could move in earlier? this is veeeery inconvenient!

What do you mean by induction week? You'll move in on the 8th or 9th and freshers will be from then onwards. There won't be any events scheduled earlier than that.
Reply 999
Im just checking due to my paranoid state. Have an unconditional offer, im not meant to have my email adress yet am i? I get that on monday when accom opens?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending