The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York accommodation/college info and questions 2011/12

Scroll to see replies

Original post by winter_fairy
AL/F224 which is apparently Alcuin, F2, flat 5... thanks god i'm sorted with accommodation (phew) Any neighbours around? :smile:

I'm in block P so we'll be neighbours of sort! Doing PPE, so we may share some classes as well.
University of York
York
Reply 1181
I applied for a self-catered room in Eric Milner, Block A, Vanbrugh and they've given me a catered room.

How do I contact the accommodation service to change this?
Original post by SaraDeutsch
Hi, I just got an offer for Vanbrugh D/008 - any idea what this means? Does D stand for D-block or Donald Barron? And I'm guessing the first '0' means ground floor, which I really didn't want!

Hey there!

I think 0 means ground floor and 8 means room number 8! Not too sure if that's how it works, but I asked around and so far that was what I was told. Hope this helps (:
Original post by kwilson21
Just got my offer in the end. Room VA/EM/A371. Which I'm guessing means Vanbrugh, Eric Milner, Block A. Can anyone figure out what the 371 means? Will it be 3rd floor room 71?

Yup I think that should be right (:
Reply 1184
Original post by Yawnfest
I applied for a self-catered room in Eric Milner, Block A, Vanbrugh and they've given me a catered room.

How do I contact the accommodation service to change this?

Ringing them will be quickest and I found them to be very helpful :smile: - (0)1904 322165 - otherwise you could email them ([email protected])
Reply 1185
I rang them up and it's sorted.

I'm at Eric Milner Court, Block A, First Floor, Room 10 (VA/EM/A110)

EXCELLENT
Hi! I've accepted my offer for Alcuin block H, room 206. Anyone have any idea which flat number that should be?
Original post by bwoolley
It depends what you mean by decent. For instance, the Courtyard is nice and shiny and new, but the layout for events isn't great; on the other hand, Derwent Bar (until it was refurbished last summer) didn't look particularly great, but it has a good layout, making it a far better venue for events than most other college bars on campus. In terms of events themselves, there are a few University-wide events in Fresher's Ball, Woodstock and the Summer Ball, but the main focus is on college-run events. These events are technically open to anyone that wants to attend, but are obviously mainly/solely made up of those from the College organising the event. I'm gonna toot our own horn here and say that Derwent offers some of the best events on campus in Club Ds and Big D. They're very well attended and it's rare that these don't sell out, in stark comparison to some other colleges on campus. OK, enough plugging.. The best bar on campus is The Courtyard, if you want to go for a quick pint or lunch. It's reasonably priced and just generally a nice place with a great atmosphere, and it's almost always packed. The biggest bar in terms of capacity is Derwent Bar at 550 for standing events.

I believe the whole of Derwent is catered, apart from blocks E & F, which are across the road in an area known as Derwith - this is because Langwith also have a couple blocks over there, with a quad in the middle. I would recommend going for one of the core blocks though, if you can afford to.

No one really stays over Easter, especially not freshers, unless they've got a job. I've heard that you can get storage space in York fairly cheap so that's always an option if you go for a 33-week let.

If you'd like any more info just give me a shout.

Thanks a lot! You've been a great help. I'm leaning towards Derwent right now for sure, but I'll do a bunch more research tomorrow and hopefully send off my decision then!
Could anyone shed some light on F/202? Is that second floor second room? it's 33 week Barbara Scott, thats what I know, but i'm not quite sure about the other bits!!
Anyone else in F? :smile:
Reply 1189
Original post by Gracie312
Could anyone shed some light on F/202? Is that second floor second room? it's 33 week Barbara Scott, thats what I know, but i'm not quite sure about the other bits!!

From what I've gathered, you'll be next-next door to the kitchen. Which flat number are you? F2? 'Cause Flats 1 & 2 are groundfloor, 3 & 4 first floor, etc. (I'm in D, so kinda close :smile:)
Reply 1190
Original post by Gracie312

I'm in F and from what i gather i'm on your floor too, Flat 6 F/212! :biggrin:
Reply 1191
anyone in Le Page? :smile:
Right one more question and sorry if somebody has asked it already but whats the main differences between blocks ABC and D at Derwent? Wish Derwent did a 33 week rent :/
James K Block! Anybod?
Original post by stubborn
anyone in Le Page? :smile:

Me! First floor, A block I think
Reply 1195
Original post by Skatalite
First floor, A block I think

me too!!:biggrin:
Original post by stubborn
me too!!:biggrin:

Ace, what course you doing?
Reply 1197
Original post by LouiseChapman

Original post by LouiseChapman
James K Block! Anybod?

D block))
Original post by Tomdc
Right one more question and sorry if somebody has asked it already but whats the main differences between blocks ABC and D at Derwent? Wish Derwent did a 33 week rent :/

A and B are the largest blocks, with about 70 students in each, whilst C and D are a lot smaller, with about 40 students each. In terms of accomodation they're all pretty much the same, although I think the whole of D block is being refurbished over the summer so that should be much nicer come next term. A block is in Derwent Nucleus, whereas B, C and D are kinda bunched together next to The Quiet Place. Another difference is that A has 4 kitchens per floor (3 small, 1 large), B has 2 kitchens (1 small, 1 large.. I think. They might have 3 in total) and C and D just have 1 per floor.
Reply 1199
Original post by Skatalite
Ace, what course you doing?

History/Politics, you? :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending