The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York accommodation/college info and questions 2011/12

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mazzles
Goodricke's a LOT further away, but there's a bus from Goodricke to campus which compensates for the difference. There are a lot less facilities at Halifax though and the accommodation is worse. Based on convenience alone, I'd say Halifax.

What's the accommodation standard of Halifax like generally? As opposed to, say, James? Halifax is looking like the only one with self catering.
University of York
York
Reply 1381
I have yet to receive my email...if I end up sharing with any of you, I don't bite. I promise...
This is so rubbish. I want to cry. Didn't really fancy spending the next 6 weeks or whatever finding somewhere to live.
Reply 1383
It is quite irritating...I know they are sending emails off randomly in the interest of "fairness"...but there must be a better way of doing it. I don't want to end up stuck in catered either..I eat at weird times of the day. I can't have a routine :frown:
Reply 1384
Original post by kuroshokora
What's the accommodation standard of Halifax like generally? As opposed to, say, James? Halifax is looking like the only one with self catering.

Generally speaking, Halifax isn't awful, although in comparison to James it's really not great. It depends where you are, although what was previously the worst accommodation in Halifax, St Lawrence Court, is currently being refurbished. I only visited St Lawrence once (and it was at about 3am after a night out and I was taking someone back, so I don't really remember it), but I visited other places in Halifax and they're not bad :smile:
Reply 1385
ive applied for goodricke without knowing how far away it was from the campus..but oh wel i'll deal ..if anyone else in goodricke????!
Reply 1386
Does anyone know what Vanbrugh fairfax house is like? I picked it cos there wasn't anything else half-decent left really. I hope it's okay. 39 weeks and no en-suite.... I really hope paying £4000 for this isn't a bad idea - not that there was much choice left otherwise I guess.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1387
Oh great. What else is left, if anything?
Reply 1388
No en-suites, though I suppose you already know that. A lot of catered things... all of the 33 weeks are gone. Some twins. Hopefully you'll get the email before all the single rooms are gone.
Reply 1389
Right well I don't want catered or 33 weeks so that's not too bad...moderately annoyed about having to shower in a damp cubicle with other people's pubic hair (my one, and thus far only shower-sharing experience....) but I suppose I'll find a way to cope. It doesn't help that I have two unavoidable appointments tomorrow either...so I really need it to come through today haha. Or I shall be sleeping in a box under someone's bed. Thanks :smile:
Reply 1390
Good luck with that :smile:
Hey guys, I have a dilemma...

I managed to get an offer for Goodricke College since I got an offer for Law and the York Law School is basically opposite Goodricke (so less walking, yipee) however I chose 39 weeks but didn't realise other colleges had rooms with 33 lets (silly me). Looking back I would have chosen a different college that offered 33 week lets in order to save a bit of money, plus the free bus makes the journey to Heslington East a bit bearable. I've got the offered room, but I scared to withdraw it in order to see if I can get a 33-let room (Alcuin looks nice). Can someone tell me if those rooms are all full, so that I don't make a stupid decision in withdrawing it?

Thanks guys!
Reply 1392
There weren't any 33 week rooms left at all when I went on there an hourish ago.
Reply 1393
Original post by dominicdiep

I managed to get an offer for Goodricke College since I got an offer for Law and the York Law School is basically opposite Goodricke (so less walking, yipee) however I chose 39 weeks but didn't realise other colleges had rooms with 33 lets (silly me). Looking back I would have chosen a different college that offered 33 week lets in order to save a bit of money, plus the free bus makes the journey to Heslington East a bit bearable. I've got the offered room, but I scared to withdraw it in order to see if I can get a 33-let room (Alcuin looks nice). Can someone tell me if those rooms are all full, so that I don't make a stupid decision in withdrawing it?

Thanks guys!

According to the Facebook page, all the 33 week rooms are gone, all the ensuites are gone, and all of Alcuin is gone - hold on to what you've got!

Thanks guys!

Most probably there won't be any 33 week let rooms. It's better to accept it imo.
That is quite unbelievable, there are some people in my college who are going to York and still haven't even received their email yet. I was lucky and got mine at around 11am. I guess a ensuite room at Goodricke will be good...but for 39 weeks? Does that mean I will be paying for rent over Christmas and Easter? Is that 3 weeks holiday for each one? If you're planning to go home during this time, will you still have to pay?

Btw thanks for the heads-up on the rooms - you're a life saver!
That is quite unbelievable, there are some people in my college who are going to York and still haven't even received their email yet. I was lucky and got mine at around 11am. I guess a ensuite room at Goodricke will be good...but for 39 weeks? Does that mean I will be paying for rent over Christmas and Easter? Is that 3 weeks holiday for each one? If you're planning to go home during this time, will you still have to pay?

Btw thanks for the heads-up on the rooms - you're a life saver!

Take a look on the facebook page to see that there aren't many rooms left. You pay for the whole period (39 weeks) if you live there or not. The Christmas holiday is 3 weeks long and the Easter holiday is 5 weeks long.
Reply 1397
Finally got my email. Went for Halifax, never thought I'd go for Halifax so didn't know anything about it but hopefully I'll love it anyway! I'm just happy to finally have accommodation. Especially to get self catered - I was expecting there to only be twin rooms left by the time I got my email!
Original post by Laura823
Finally got my email. Went for Halifax, never thought I'd go for Halifax so didn't know anything about it but hopefully I'll love it anyway! I'm just happy to finally have accommodation. Especially to get self catered - I was expecting there to only be twin rooms left by the time I got my email!

Do you remember what was left? :biggrin:
Reply 1399
Original post by sebastian.a
Do you remember what was left? :biggrin:

I didn't look much because I was worried Halifax would go! Halifax was the only self catered left. I know Langwith, James and Goodricke were all still there but I don't know what band or if that was single rooms or twin. Hopefully you're in the next batch and manage to get something decent!

Edit: Oh and I think Fairfax House was there.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending