The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York accommodation/college info and questions 2011/12

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Original post by Alkain1607
No, so all the economy standard accomodation for Derwent is now gone? That's the only accommodation I could realistically afford- I think I'm going to give the accommodation team hell- if there's none left....

I heard that for each batches of emails they release a certain amount of rooms from each college so that every student in each batch has the same change of getting the room they want. If in one batch some rooms are gone that doesn't mean that in your batch they will be none of the type you want.

Hang in there
University of York
York
Original post by MPN
I heard that for each batches of emails they release a certain amount of rooms from each college so that every student in each batch has the same change of getting the room they want. If in one batch some rooms are gone that doesn't mean that in your batch they will be none of the type you want.

Hang in there

Phew, I was about to write a long winded criticism of the system to the accommodation team- you've put my mind at rest
Reply 1782
Phew, I was about to write a long winded criticism of the system to the accommodation team- you've put my mind at rest

Listen, everything will be ok, and yes I know the fact that people keep reporting how they already got their email or how rooms are running out is not helping at all but it cannot be that bad and still lots of people are waiting too

I hope you get that damned email real soon! :biggrin:
Reply 1783
Here is the latest update, found on fb;

Online Accomodation System Unavailable
The online accommodation system is not currently available due to heavy user load.
Please try again in 15 minutes time.
Genuine apologies for any inconvenience.

Oh dear....
No, so all the economy standard accomodation for Derwent is now gone? That's the only accommodation I could realistically afford- I think I'm going to give the accommodation team hell- if there's none left....

Yep, it's all gone I'm afraid, it was gone when I got my email at 11ish :frown: there's really not very much cheap accommodation...
Original post by MPN

Hang in there

Really? I was told different when I rang up..
Reply 1786
Original post by CallieCat
Really? I was told different when I rang up..

No idea then, people keep telling me different versions :dontknow:
Original post by sentiment
I'd go for Hes East if your course is up there, socially it should be much better next year as Langwith will be there as well as Goodricke, and they're finally getting a bar and stuff. You'd probably find it a drag going from main campus to Hes East multiple times a day, but you'd still be able to get to main campus really easily when you need to.

I'm the same - studying over at TFTV in Hes East but unsure whether to go for Goodricke (the location is ideal, accommodation nice and will have people with shared interests) or go for somewhere over on Hes West (thinking Alcuin) that will be more central and be possibly livelier. Decisions, decisions!
Original post by MPN
Listen, everything will be ok, and yes I know the fact that people keep reporting how they already got their email or how rooms are running out is not helping at all but it cannot be that bad and still lots of people are waiting too

I hope you get that damned email real soon! :biggrin:

I don't appear to have the option of the cheap room :redface: It's offering me expensive things.
Reply 1789
I don't appear to have the option of the cheap room :redface: It's offering me expensive things.

You got the email? Sorry to hear that cheap ones are gone already :frown:
I am absolutely livid, supposedly being made homeless by my mother doesn't warrant me getting cheaper accommodation and I was told just to apply normally. Guess who hasn't got her e-mail yet? >=[ I can't afford four and a half grand for halls when I've got to live in a bedsit this summer.
Original post by MPN

Hang in there

We don't release any additional rooms throughout the day - our emails are batched randomly to make sure that everybody has and equal chance of getting the first pick of rooms. Full information is on our website (www.york.ac.uk/accommodation) and on our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

We still have plenty of rooms lefts of many different types - standard, upgraded, and ensuite are all still available at this moment in time. ALL students under our guarantee will get a room (http://bit.ly/AcGar) so please don't panic.

-- Kathryn Woodroof
Accommodation Assistant, University of York
Original post by StrawberryLaces
I am absolutely livid, supposedly being made homeless by my mother doesn't warrant me getting cheaper accommodation and I was told just to apply normally. Guess who hasn't got her e-mail yet? >=[ I can't afford four and a half grand for halls when I've got to live in a bedsit this summer.

Maybe ring accommodation again and emphasize your situation? A mate of mine at university was in a similar position, she rang the uni services and they found someone willing to swap rooms so she managed to get a cheap room. Good luck with it.
Anyone else applied but not yet had confirmation of college etc?
Reply 1794
I've had no confirmation, molthemoo. Applied a couple hours ago for Langwith Premium En Suite.
Reply 1795
Original post by molthemoo
Anyone else applied but not yet had confirmation of college etc?

Original post by numana
I've had no confirmation, molthemoo. Applied a couple hours ago for Langwith Premium En Suite.

Did you check your uni account? From now on all emails from the uni will be delivered to that new account, not your personal anymore
Original post by numana

Exactly what I applied for! Maybe Langwith are just being delayed...
Original post by molthemoo
Maybe ring accommodation again and emphasize your situation? A mate of mine at university was in a similar position, she rang the uni services and they found someone willing to swap rooms so she managed to get a cheap room. Good luck with it.

Accommodation fobbed me off on their facebook page saying they still have a range of prices (between £4500 and £4800 I might add) and they apologise for my disappointment.
Reply 1798
Don't bother with their Facebook page they can't help you there, get on the phone and don't hang up till you're happy.
Reply 1799
I recieved my email just some minutes ago and there were not any room that fits me... I've made the apply but I wonder if I will be able to move to another college/room... :frown:
BTW The pictures of Vanbrugh College's kitchen is absolutely disgusting. I pray for not to have such a dirty partners...
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending