The Student Room Group

Would you break up with your GF if she's Anorexic?

Scroll to see replies

I'm a bit of a foodie so I'm afraid to say that it would put me off.

Sorry :s-smilie:
Reply 41
Original post by Anonymous
I was diagnosed with Anorexia about five years ago, and it has made me weary of getting into a relationship. It seems as if all social gatherings and dates revolve around food - from theme parks, movies, meeting the parents, family gatherings and dinner, there's always that pressure to eat.

Would it be really off-putting to you if a girl constantly watched what she ate to a point that it is obsessive? I'm worried because when guys ask me out for dinner, I always so "no" or suggest something else like coffee.

To answer the title question I wouldnt let my gf nor would i hope she'd let me get to the point where I was underweight or overweight. I'd like to think we'd help each other so we it wouldnt even get to that.

Whether or not i would date an anorexic girl. Well to be completely honest, yes, it would be off putting, i dont find it attractive and i find any fussiness about food off-putting tbh. However, I know your situation isn't something you can simply just change with the snap of your fingers. So if I met a girl and I thought there was some real potential there then sure I'd date her but I'd want her to let me help her through the anorexia if the relationship were to be long term.
I was diagnosed with Anorexia about five years ago, and it has made me weary of getting into a relationship. It seems as if all social gatherings and dates revolve around food - from theme parks, movies, meeting the parents, family gatherings and dinner, there's always that pressure to eat.

Would it be really off-putting to you if a girl constantly watched what she ate to a point that it is obsessive? I'm worried because when guys ask me out for dinner, I always so "no" or suggest something else like coffee.

If she refused to get help or even acknowledge the weight problem then yes I would. If she was getting help, I'd be glad to stay :smile:
Reply 43
I would be able to cope with being in a relationship with someone diagnosed with anorexia who is trying to get better.
I wouldn't consider a relationship with anyone who has an eating disorder and isn't trying to do anything about it.
Original post by SophiaKeuning
You've probably got a vile appearance to match your vile character. So er, you shouldn't be too concerned about the appearance of a girl. :

He's not allowed to have an opinion about what kind of body shape he finds attractive? Why does this make him 'vile'?
I find it a bit strange that everyone seems to be much more accepting of a situation where a girl becomes anorexic. Flip it over and change the girl's situation to someone who develops food addiction (which is also a psychological disorder) and I bet the sympathy would dry up.

It's a really sad that both unhealthy conditions aren't always approached with equal sympathy. I make specific reference to the poster who said they'd love to date an anorexic because they fancy skinny girls (such a stupid, ill-considered comment) without taking into consideration that they are both physically and mentally unwell and could in some extreme cases die. Grrrr. Really riles me how being unhealthily thin is being encouraged by some thoughtless people.
Original post by Bslforever
The fact that you will end up infertile and jaundiced sitting in a hospital bed with end stage renal failure puts me off a little more than you not wanting to come to nandos with me to be honest.

So true
Is anyone else really disturbed that some people here are basing their answer on whether they find skinny girls attractive, rather than the fact that these people are mentally and physically ill? Holy ****... :facepalm:
if a guys worth dating he'll accept you for who you are and any problems which come with you. If he can't deal with it he obviously has little or no strength of character and you're better off without him
Original post by SophiaKeuning
You've probably got a vile appearance to match your vile character. So er, you shouldn't be too concerned about the appearance of a girl. :h:

OP- like others hve said, if a man expect a relationship to be without flaws, if he can't be there for you when your suffering then he shouldn't be with anyone at all. And are you being treated for it? Good luck for your recovery! :smile:

Let's be honest, anorexia isn't pretty.
Original post by Eveiebaby
I find it a bit strange that everyone seems to be much more accepting of a situation where a girl becomes anorexic. Flip it over and change the girl's situation to someone who develops food addiction (which is also a psychological disorder) and I bet the sympathy would dry up.

It's a really sad that both unhealthy conditions aren't always approached with equal sympathy. I make specific reference to the poster who said they'd love to date an anorexic because they fancy skinny girls (such a stupid, ill-considered comment) without taking into consideration that they are both physically and mentally unwell and could in some extreme cases die. Grrrr. Really riles me how being unhealthily thin is being encouraged by some thoughtless people.

Good post.

I was like WTF when the guy said he would date anorexics because he likes skinny girls.

Anorexia is more than being skinny.
First of all, I hope you're seeking some help for your eating disorder, and that you have someone to talk to about it :smile:
A relationship could either make or break you on that side of things, hopefully finding someone who's there for you will help, but (without sounding sexist) although there are plenty of decent guys out there, there are also a lot of "not so decent" guys, and if you're unlucky enough to fall for one of them, then it probably won't help you.
Suggest going to the cinema, and just get a drink, no popcorn etc, also it's dark in a cinema he wouldn't know if you were eating it or not! Watch a film at one of each others houses? Go for a walk, I love walking around the reservoir at sunset, so beautiful!
Lots of other options...but if he really likes you he will understand.
I don't know. My experience of anorexics hasn't been very pleasant, seeing girls sneaking out of their hospital beds to do star-jumps and march on the spot despite being told to stay in bed because they're at severe risk of heart failure, or being forced to hum or talk while they're having a poo to make sure they're not trying to make themselves vomit in the toilets, despite being hospitalised because they're going to die of starvation and malnourishment.

It just seems completely illogical, and I don't think I could be intimate with someone I don't understand. The whole point of intimacy is understanding each other and empathising with each other, and it's just impossible to understand mental illness if you haven't been there yourself. There will always be a barrier between you.
Reply 53
Alright - thank you everyone.

I think it would stress me out quite a bit and I would worry too much if they were eating correctly or if they also had bulimia.
Original post by It could be lupus
I think it would stress me out quite a bit and I would worry too much if they were eating correctly or if they also had bulimia.

Out of interest why does bulimia make it worse?
Original post by LittleLily
He's not allowed to have an opinion about what kind of body shape he finds attractive? Why does this make him 'vile'?

The OP was asking if a man who was in a relationship with her would end it because he has anorexia. She didn't ask if it's attractive (let's face it, she's not exactly feeling very good about herself at the moment) she didn't ask if he'd consider going in a relationship, she didn't ask his opinion on thin girls. I just thought the comment was incredibly insensitive and pointless and shallow, and btw anorexia is not a body shape. Contrary to what many fairly ignorant girls think, it's not an adjective for being thin.
Original post by kaylafrances
Out of interest why does bulimia make it worse?

They are two seperate conditions, though often commonly linked. It would make it worse as they would have two eating disorders that I would worry about. Anytime they would be at the toilet, they could possibly be throwing up. If I see them gorging on food I would worry that later they would just throw it up again. It also ends up making the anorexia worse through negative re-enforcement
Original post by It could be lupus
They are two seperate conditions, though often commonly linked. It would make it worse as they would have two eating disorders that I would worry about. Anytime they would be at the toilet, they could possibly be throwing up. If I see them gorging on food I would worry that later they would just throw it up again. It also ends up making the anorexia worse through negative re-enforcement

Yeah, i was just interested because bulimia is a more secretive thing, so a lot of people don't discuss it much. I know they're linked coz i've had both.
yes i would, but first i would want to shag.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending