The Student Room Group

Working at Next

Scroll to see replies

During the sale period do you have to work more than your contracted hours?
Reply 1981
Anyone else have to withdraw the Sinners tshirt/sweat yesterday?

Apparently a bunch of Christians made a complaint...
Original post by YMLT
Anyone else have to withdraw the Sinners tshirt/sweat yesterday?

Apparently a bunch of Christians made a complaint...

Yeah, just found this article about it.. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2200118/Christian-groups-fury-Next-T-shirt-mixes-sex-Bible.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
Reply 1984
Original post by YMLT
I laughed

If you go on the next facebook page.. you can still find the actual comments that were first posted :tongue:
Original post by VanessaXD
yeah waitrose seems like a more calmer environment (:
good luck !

yeah and really good to their employees
Original post by IWantSomeMushu
During the sale period do you have to work more than your contracted hours?

Well you don't have to but they will want you to do overtime most likely and they'll more than likely mess your shifts around and keep changing the times you work
Reply 1987
do you get the option not to work over xmas eve and boxing day?someone got sacked the other day for fnin in ill and then later saying they cnt work one of those days.
Can you buy jeans as a part of your uniform allowance? And can you wear them for your shifts?!
Reply 1989
Original post by sandrabondaruk
Can you buy jeans as a part of your uniform allowance? And can you wear them for your shifts?!

it depends on the store manager, some allow jeans to be worn as uniform, some don't.. best off asking :smile:
Original post by arnz
do you get the option not to work over xmas eve and boxing day?someone got sacked the other day for fnin in ill and then later saying they cnt work one of those days.

No you don't, you have to work both xmas eve and boxing day. It's bull****. You have to work all sales, it's in the contract.
Reply 1991
Original post by mikl_c
Hi there,
I have recently been offered a part-time role as a sales consultant at Next (for the Womenswear department), I went for my induction on Thursday and have my first shift on Wednesday I'm nervous and excited! This will be my second job, after a two and a half year stint at McDonalds. I'm expecting Next to be a completely different working environment to McDonalds and I'm not exactly sure what to expect, can anyone give me any tips or advice? For my first day I'm going to wear pin strip pants, shiny leather boots (wore both of these for my interview) and a black shirt with a leather belt. Do they start you off easy and gradually get you to do more challenging processes? Also any idea how I find the Next Employee Handbook online? The manager gave use the web address for it with a universal username and password but it won't let me access it and I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to have started reading it prior to my first shift! Thank you!! :biggrin:

They will treat you like **** lol. Everyone I know who worked there absolutely hates it.

Whatever hours you signed your contract for, they will ignore and give you whichever hours they want you to work.
Original post by VMGCS
They will treat you like **** lol. Everyone I know who worked there absolutely hates it.

Whatever hours you signed your contract for, they will ignore and give you whichever hours they want you to work.

Ha yeah you can say that again lol.
I've been put in for a shift this thurs 1-5 and wasn't even asked.
The store managers somtimes put shifts in for no reason. ****ers lol.
Well, I managed to get a job there, and I'm going in for my induction this Thursday night...
What i was wondering, is how does it work with transfers?
I spoke briefly to the guy who was calling to sort the interview etc, and he said you ask your local stores if they have any vacancies that you can transfer to over any holidays (as I'm at uni and would like to be at home over Christmas and Summer...).
I feel a bit bad that I'd be asking for transfer not that long after starting there - was just wondering what they're like about them? S:

Also, I had started reading pages of this thread, but there's so many to go through - could anyone give me a quick summary of what happens on your induction? Does it last around 3 hours?
If you do, thank you. (:
Reply 1994
Original post by Alison1991
Ha yeah you can say that again lol.
I've been put in for a shift this thurs 1-5 and wasn't even asked.
The store managers somtimes put shifts in for no reason. ****ers lol.

Which store are you at? :smile:
Reply 1995
Sigh, does anyone else's store just completely ignore their availability on portal??
Reply 1996
Also, does anyone know if you change you permanent availability if you can make yourself temporarily available...I think it would be easier if I change my permanent availability to suit my uni timetable and then alter my temporary availability to be more available during the holidays, because at the minute I'm having to change my availability every week to suit my uni hours, and they're not exactly honouring it (ie giving me hours when I said I was unavailable)
Reply 1997
[QUOTE=
Yeah, because no other retailer in the country makes their employees do that :rolleyes: Must say all the complaints about Next on here suprise me, maybe i've just got lucky in that my store has nice and competent managers.

It's the same at my store all the managers are really good

the store manager is always helping out on the tills + all the shopfloor jobs even housekeeping

he says all the jobs i ask my employees to do, i do my self too (which is nice :biggrin:)

really nice place to work, love it :smile: (well my store anyway) :smile:
Original post by Randomized
If its not your contracted shift you don't have to do it, just let your manager know in advance so they can get someone else in. Most of the time i don't even have to give a reason why, just saying you have other plans is enough. Regarding availability same again, its best to let your manager know in person because they don't appear to pay much attention to availability. As soon as uni finished i let mine know that i'd be staying around all summer and i'd be able to work whenever, and i've already let her know that won't be the case anymore when uni starts again in October.

Yeah, because no other retailer in the country makes their employees do that :rolleyes: Must say all the complaints about Next on here suprise me, maybe i've just got lucky in that my store has nice and competent managers.

lol glad there are nice and competent managers somewhere ahaha
Reply 1999
Original post by Alison1991
lol glad there are nice and competent managers somewhere ahaha

lol yeah

reading your comments , sounds as though your being kept on chains or something to that effect

what department are you on? and how many hours :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending