The Student Room Group

Working at Next

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tunjii
Surely they can work out that I am school leaving age in a few weeks and I also wrote that I am school leaving age in one of the sections

Posted from TSR Mobile

The online applications are done on an automated system, then the ones that pass are automatically sent to the store for the staff there to look through. If your birthday comes up as inappropriate for their requirements the system simply won't pass your application on. The company receives 1000s of applications daily, so I'm guessing they don't have time to manually go through each potential one - they have to sift them down somehow.

My best response would be to wait til you're 16, phone up the 10 days before the Sale (July 13th) and ask if they have any spare temp shifts going then, then see if they take you on on a contract after. (That's how I got taken on by Next :smile:)
Original post by SpottedZebra
Thanks so much for your help, I'm definitely old enough as I'm nearly 18. Every time I apply, I get an email saying my responses to the questionnaire were satisfactory and my application will be reviewed by the recruitment team. I have experience working in a shop so I don't know why they don't seem to like me!

Is it mostly men that work in the stockrooms at your store? I was thinking maybe it's a bit of a male-dominated atmosphere and that could be why?

The delivery and stockroom managers are both male, but there's plenty of female stockroom workers at my store so I'm not sure why you're being overlooked. Try applying for a temporary sale shift instead where they need staff and see what happens :smile:
Does anyone know if Next interviews are normally group or individual?
I had one in 2011 that was a group interview, but it was at a much larger store. What is the norm?
Original post by SophieGloria
Does anyone know if Next interviews are normally group or individual?
I had one in 2011 that was a group interview, but it was at a much larger store. What is the norm?

Been a long time since my interview but I see a few going on next door when I'm in the office and floating about. I usually see groups of three of four people getting interviewed around the same time.To my understanding they ask you questions individually, I've heard that some involve the latest trends and things like that. They'll take you by yourself into either the cash office or the managers office and ask you these. You will then be asked to wait, in my store its in home. Once everyone has had their interview you'll go to one of the departments and be given an item of clothing and you've to create an outfit. This second part isn't individual, everyone who turned up in your small group does this at the same time. You will all be given different items of clothing.

Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3984
Original post by rosee92
The online applications are done on an automated system, then the ones that pass are automatically sent to the store for the staff there to look through. If your birthday comes up as inappropriate for their requirements the system simply won't pass your application on. The company receives 1000s of applications daily, so I'm guessing they don't have time to manually go through each potential one - they have to sift them down somehow.

My best response would be to wait til you're 16, phone up the 10 days before the Sale (July 13th) and ask if they have any spare temp shifts going then, then see if they take you on on a contract after. (That's how I got taken on by Next :smile:)

I am 16 now I'm 17 in December

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3985
Original post by rosee92

+ if none of my 50 applications are successful I shall try this thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
how on earth do you get a job at next? :')
my questionnaire is seemingly good because i've gotten various emails saying that they've taken my application into consideration but i always get rejected.
i have reasonable experience and i really don't know where i'm going wrong. there are ALWAYS vacancies around where i live but i've gotten absolutely no feedback whatsoever. am i just unlucky?
Quick question, what does being a stock assistant involve and what do you do on the first day as a shop assistant?
Original post by Tunjii
I am 16 now I'm 17 in December

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then it might just be because you haven't finished yet. I know the rules are confusing and annoying trust me. I applied to loads of jobs and never got told if I was successful or not even when I'd filled in all the forms and quizzes correctly.
Original post by Officegirl4
Been a long time since my interview but I see a few going on next door when I'm in the office and floating about. I usually see groups of three of four people getting interviewed around the same time.To my understanding they ask you questions individually, I've heard that some involve the latest trends and things like that. They'll take you by yourself into either the cash office or the managers office and ask you these. You will then be asked to wait, in my store its in home. Once everyone has had their interview you'll go to one of the departments and be given an item of clothing and you've to create an outfit. This second part isn't individual, everyone who turned up in your small group does this at the same time. You will all be given different items of clothing.

Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for the help! I got the job so you clearly give great advice :smile:
I've applied for a weekend job at Next... I'm sort of excited.
Reply 3991
What do I do if next don't get back to me after the two weeks should I call?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3992
I'm 18 and have just got a job at next with my induction next week but I don't know how much I will get paid? Can anyone hep me?
Applied now. 17 with no experience. That video questionnaire was quite hard though.
I'm 17 and I get 5.86 an hour

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ricky91295
I'm 17 and I get 5.86 an hour

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you by any chance live in London?

I'm 17 and I only get £5.08

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah that might be why, where are you from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ricky91295
Yeah that might be why, where are you from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm pretty sure your wage goes up once you've been there after so long, like when you've completed all your training or something. I'm 19 and on £6.21, and I work in a store in the town centre :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
May I ask how you people got the job, did you send your CV online or in person?
I had an interview at Next on Thursday, I thought it went well and got on well with the Staff there, she said that she would be in touch on Saturday to let me know. But she hasn't, I haven't received any rejection email either though. Is there still hope or should I just give up? Also, she asked me to bring my passport and then never asked for it during the interview! I totally forgot about it because it was in my pocket, will this affect anything as well?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending