The Student Room Group

Working at Next

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Sorry, I still don't fully understand what 'smart casual' entails :tongue: Could I wear a shirt (not t-shirt) and jeans? But thanks :biggrin:

yeah that should be fine, you will be watching videos/filling out forms in the managers office or staffroom, so it dont really matter :smile:
So I did an online application this morning... got a call 30 minutes later asking me to attend an induction tomorrow.

I'm a little lost for words!! To think I was going to pass on the online applications this morning haha. I was told to bring my NI, Birth certificate and passport photocopies and to wear comfortable shoes, but I'll play safe with the smart/casual wear. Wtf though, what about the interview? I don't wanna get my hopes up .. it's going so well it's unreal.
I've got an interview tomorrow for a position. What will they ask me? The job I've applied for is like 8 hours per week or so, is there a possibility I could ask for more hours (if I get the job)? I mean, I was wanting between 25 and 40 hours a week.
Reply 783
Original post by Ryan-Hetherington
I've got an interview tomorrow for a position. What will they ask me? The job I've applied for is like 8 hours per week or so, is there a possibility I could ask for more hours (if I get the job)? I mean, I was wanting between 25 and 40 hours a week.

maximum hours for part timers is capped at 20 per week..
Original post by adh5643

If they were offer me the job, is there any likelihood of them being willing to make it a full time contract? I put on my application that I can work anytime and any day up to or greater than 40 hours per week.

Thanks for the reply, btw.
Reply 785
If they were offer me the job, is there any likelihood of them being willing to make it a full time contract? I put on my application that I can work anytime and any day up to or greater than 40 hours per week.

Thanks for the reply, btw.

They won't just make you full time because you are now a part time employee, they actually need to have full-time vacancy available. Then you woud need to apply, and you would be competing against internal employees and outside ones, both probably with some level of experience.
So you would have to ask about full-time work being available, and go through an interview process as you would for any other job. The best thing to do, would be to make it known that you want it.

Original post by adh5643

That is true, although it can be, with the permission of the area manager, be altered to suit demand as required. For example, I did 2 weeks full time in January of this year.
(edited 11 years ago)

Sadly, unlikely. As Patrik above has said, there needs to be a full-time vacancy available. Even in larger stores these are quite rare and they are always highly sought after, therefore an interview process is held, where you'll potentially be competing against other part-timers who have been there a while. I'm not saying it's impossible, but the odds are stacked against you I'm sorry to say.
Reply 787
Got an interview for Stockroom Assistant on Saturday,
Any tips/advice from anyone?
Reply 788
Original post by Patrik

That is true, although it can be, with the permission of the area manager, be altered to suit demand as required. For example, I did 2 weeks full time in January of this year.

True, but knowing my area manager it’s very rare they do this unless it’s the sale period, the ASM is very strict in my store when it comes to the cap, that they rota people in for 19 ¼, ½
and ¾ hours a week. :s-smilie:
Reply 789
I applied about a week ago, and still have had no response. Do they reply to tell you don't get the job?
Original post by saggy8
I applied about a week ago, and still have had no response. Do they reply to tell you don't get the job?

Unfortunately they only call successful applicants :/
Reply 791
Hey i'm considering applying for a for a temporary part time position, does anyone know how long they last for?
I start tomoz. I havent been given a locker or payroll number as a matter of fact I havent even signed a contract. I'm going to go 20 minutes before I start my shift to be on the safe side but I wasnt even told on induction what I would be doing so am I meant to tell hem Ive arrived before going into the staff room and dumping my stuff. Dont know how to go about first day
Original post by Princess92
I start tomoz. I havent been given a locker or payroll number as a matter of fact I havent even signed a contract. I'm going to go 20 minutes before I start my shift to be on the safe side but I wasnt even told on induction what I would be doing so am I meant to tell hem Ive arrived before going into the staff room and dumping my stuff. Dont know how to go about first day

omg I start on sunday! But the person who did my induction thingy never told us what to do on the first day. I have my payroll number but since I forgot to give them my bank details there'll be problems with getting my pay :s what are you going to wear?
Reply 794
Original post by Princess92

Ha! I've been there since October and still don't have a locker key. A locker, yes, but that kind of defeats the point of it.
Original post by InadequateJusticex
omg I start on sunday! But the person who did my induction thingy never told us what to do on the first day. I have my payroll number but since I forgot to give them my bank details there'll be problems with getting my pay :s what are you going to wear?

I have trousers from next and then just gonna wear a random blouse I have which is smart.
I hope they are friendly
Original post by emma363
Hey i'm considering applying for a for a temporary part time position, does anyone know how long they last for?

It really depends on the store, some temp contracts will be from 3 to 4 weeks up to around 6 months. Just make sure to ask for extra hours if you want so you sound keen, they may decide to keep you on :smile:
Original post by Patrik
Ha! I've been there since October and still don't have a locker key. A locker, yes, but that kind of defeats the point of it.

This is going to be interesting to say the least.
Reply 798
Original post by kenanandkel
It really depends on the store, some temp contracts will be from 3 to 4 weeks up to around 6 months. Just make sure to ask for extra hours if you want so you sound keen, they may decide to keep you on :smile:

Thankyou :smile: I'm just wondering because i'm moving elsewhere for uni in october so I'm not sure if I should apply or not
Reply 799
Original post by R1Charles
Its done through https://employee.next.co.uk/NEPLogin/ you'll be given access when you join. That's also how you arrange your availability for extra shifts.

thanks thats what i was wondering :smile: very helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending