The Student Room Group

Working at Next

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7980
Hi there. I applied for 2 positions (stockroom and sales consultant) at Next and got the 'You've been shortlisted' emails 3 days ago for both vacancies. And I was just wondering how long it takes for them to contact you about an interview? I don't know whether I'm just being impatient but I really want this job :frown:
Original post by gul123
Hi there. I applied for 2 positions (stockroom and sales consultant) at Next and got the 'You've been shortlisted' emails 3 days ago for both vacancies. And I was just wondering how long it takes for them to contact you about an interview? I don't know whether I'm just being impatient but I really want this job :frown:

It could take 1-2 weeks, especially if it is a Temp position for over sale. You may even have a telephone interview or an assessment on the shopfloor. If you want any help, feel free to ask.
Reply 7982
Original post by ExamBuddy101
It could take 1-2 weeks, especially if it is a Temp position for over sale. You may even have a telephone interview or an assessment on the shopfloor. If you want any help, feel free to ask.

It's for a part time permanent contract. Do you know what types of things I'd be getting assessed on as I don't really have any experience working with big retail companies like Next. And I've booked a holiday for 3 weeks from the 25th of July. Do you think they would honour this if I told them in the interview?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gul123
It's for a part time permanent contract. Do you know what types of things I'd be getting assessed on as I don't really have any experience working with big retail companies like Next. And I've booked a holiday for 3 weeks from the 25th of July. Do you think they would honour this if I told them in the interview?

Ah OK, well I didn't have an assessment when I started but basically you will just be on the floor and be observed approaching customers, etc. The main thing is that you put customers FIRST before tasks or jobs you have to do or else when you're, say, fixing size cubes in order, stop and check a customer first. Make sure that you are friendly and smile and say "Hello" or "How's it going?", things like "Do you need any help with sizes?" or "I'm here if you need anything!" Anyone I know that has been taken on has been like that in team assessments. Don't worry if it doesn't come naturally to you, it doesn't to most people but just try your best at that! Not sure about the holidays, depends when they need you to start. But certainly it is better to tell them than to not let on. Honesty is better. Good luck.
Reply 7984
Original post by ExamBuddy101
Ah OK, well I didn't have an assessment when I started but basically you will just be on the floor and be observed approaching customers, etc. The main thing is that you put customers FIRST before tasks or jobs you have to do or else when you're, say, fixing size cubes in order, stop and check a customer first. Make sure that you are friendly and smile and say "Hello" or "How's it going?", things like "Do you need any help with sizes?" or "I'm here if you need anything!" Anyone I know that has been taken on has been like that in team assessments. Don't worry if it doesn't come naturally to you, it doesn't to most people but just try your best at that! Not sure about the holidays, depends when they need you to start. But certainly it is better to tell them than to not let on. Honesty is better. Good luck.

Thankyou :smile:
Original post by gul123

I had my assessment last week and got the job, just make a good effort to pick up the hang of the tasks quickly if you can, and be sociable with the staff I think helped me probably get the offer, good luck!
Reply 7986
Original post by WelcomeRonald95
I had my assessment last week and got the job, just make a good effort to pick up the hang of the tasks quickly if you can, and be sociable with the staff I think helped me probably get the offer, good luck!

Hopefully I'll be called in for an interview soon!! Thanks for the help :smile:
Im 19yo and was wondering what the rate of pay is at next?
Original post by lj.atwel
Im 19yo and was wondering what the rate of pay is at next?

It depends really. When I was 17, I started at £5.55, then it went up to something else and then when I turned 18 it went to £7.04. It depends on age, length of service (slightly/partly) and where exactly you work. For example, I think someone working in inner-city London would get more than someone in a small town as the cost of living is greater there.
hi we just got our sale shifts and I'm working at 9pm on friday and 5am on saturday. I'm under 18 and I thought you had to have 12 hours between shifts, do they have to give me 12 hour rest or is that just what I'm entitled to?? Obviously I don't really want to work at 5am so if I ask do they have to change my shifts or can they refuse, it says on the government website there are some exceptions??
Original post by midge101
hi we just got our sale shifts and I'm working at 9pm on friday and 5am on saturday. I'm under 18 and I thought you had to have 12 hours between shifts, do they have to give me 12 hour rest or is that just what I'm entitled to?? Obviously I don't really want to work at 5am so if I ask do they have to change my shifts or can they refuse, it says on the government website there are some exceptions??

I'm under 18 as well and I'm working until 11;30 on the Friday night then I'm at work on 4:30 on Saturday morning so I'll only have 5 hours. I asked my manager and she said no changing shifts during sale periods
I've just been given my sale shifts... Working 9pm till 12am on Thursday 14th and 8pm till 12am on Friday 15th but I can't work these shifts because I have kids to take care of. I spoke to my manager and she said I can't change my shifts. What am I supposed to do because I honestly can't do these shifts. It even says on my availability that I can't work that late
Original post by Ameliao90
I've just been given my sale shifts... Working 9pm till 12am on Thursday 14th and 8pm till 12am on Friday 15th but I can't work these shifts because I have kids to take care of. I spoke to my manager and she said I can't change my shifts. What am I supposed to do because I honestly can't do these shifts. It even says on my availability that I can't work that late

Maybe you could see if you could swap shifts with someone?

If you've already spoke to your manager about it not sure what else to do. Next are pretty fussy about sale shifts unfortunately. Also, from my own experience they never follow the availability I put down.
Original post by goodwinning
Maybe you could see if you could swap shifts with someone?

If you've already spoke to your manager about it not sure what else to do. Next are pretty fussy about sale shifts unfortunately. Also, from my own experience they never follow the availability I put down.

Yeah I've been trying to shift swap all day today at work and I've sent texts out but everyone already seems to be working those hours anyway. Yeah they never follow the availability I put down either. Don't know what else to do .
Reply 7994
Original post by MerteSwagger
Can someone please tell me what to wear for my team assessment I really need to know :smile:))

Hi,
I had a team assessment and I wore a maroon blouse and a black skirt and tights. I would say wear something smart as you will most probably be put on the shop floor for a while so it will need to be something appropriate as you will be dealing with customers.
I applied for a sales support team at Next and they called me to say I got it.

Will I be able to ask for extra shifts and will I be able to stay on as permanenent?
I sent off my application for 'sales assistant' or something. I remember applying to x10-12 roles back in Xmas & only getting 2 interview stages and no offers from them. :angry:

Since I know I've only applied to 1 position ... my probability of getting the job is 1:1,000,000. :sigh:

All the other jobs aren't fixed hours >.>
Has anyone applied/worked as a part of the sales support team? I might apply :smile:
Original post by marinadiamandis
Has anyone applied/worked as a part of the sales support team? I might apply :smile:

I have :smile: I've also worked as part of the sales support team at HMV and let me tell you, Next was awful compared to that. They didn't take into account my health issues at all even after promising to and it caused me to have a seizure on the shop floor (lol), the manager had the sales staff there mainly to cover the holidays of the regular staff, and I was put on loads of shifts at the last second because someone else wanted the day off for a hangover! It's probably a lot better at other stores, but I find the polices a lot better elsewhere. If you're used to retail, go for it. If not, I'd try for somewhere else first. In my experience at least, they made it a lot more difficult that it needed to be. Especially for a 16 year old earning £3 something at the time!
Original post by chelseadagg3r
I have :smile: I've also worked as part of the sales support team at HMV and let me tell you, Next was awful compared to that. They didn't take into account my health issues at all even after promising to and it caused me to have a seizure on the shop floor (lol), the manager had the sales staff there mainly to cover the holidays of the regular staff, and I was put on loads of shifts at the last second because someone else wanted the day off for a hangover! It's probably a lot better at other stores, but I find the polices a lot better elsewhere. If you're used to retail, go for it. If not, I'd try for somewhere else first. In my experience at least, they made it a lot more difficult that it needed to be. Especially for a 16 year old earning £3 something at the time!

eek! that sounds awful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending