The Student Room Group

Working at Next

Scroll to see replies

Original post by marinadiamandis
eek! that sounds awful!

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't bother doing it again myself but by all means give it a go! It sounds like a lot of people have had better experiences than me. A good website to check this kind of thing is glassdoor.co.uk. You can find reviews for certain jobs at certain companies, even certain stores. You can also check out what interviews are like at those places too. Really helped me out a few times!
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't bother doing it again myself but by all means give it a go! It sounds like a lot of people have had better experiences than me. A good website to check this kind of thing is glassdoor.co.uk. You can find reviews for certain jobs at certain companies, even certain stores. You can also check out what interviews are like at those places too. Really helped me out a few times!

What happens if you apply? Do you get like an induction? What do you do during it and what do you actually do for the job (haha lame questions) x
What happens if you apply? Do you get like an induction? What do you do during it and what do you actually do for the job (haha lame questions) x

Don't worry, I had exactly the same questions :tongue: When the applications are in, they shortlist the ones they want to take further. In my case, I got shortlisted and a week or two later the manager rang me and gave me a really short phone interview. He just asked a few questions about my experience and stuff, nothing tough. We then organised a date for the induction (which you get paid for by the way) two weeks later. From what I remember, it only took about an hour or so. We gave them our birth certificates and stuff so they could photocopy and then we watched a couple of videos. One on 'what if someone tries to bomb the store!' and the other on general sales policies and stuff, and how things run during the sales. We then got taken on a short tour, first to the main stockroom where we could learn how to clock in and out. We all had a go at that and we got the information of our first shifts then too, so when and which department. We also got our payroll numbers then. Then they showed us how to use the little tagging machines in case we were put on repricing items on one of our shifts. After that, they took us down to the shop floor and showed us where things were, and showed us how to sign in/out. After that all we had to do was pick up our things back at the office upstairs then sign out, and we were good to go. Then all we had to do was turn up for our first shift, whenever that was :tongue:

As for working there, if you're on the shop floor you'll most likely be tidying up and helping customers until they've till trained you, and then you'll do a bit of both. You'll be assigned a department, so you won't have the whole shop to deal with! You may also be put as front of house, in which case you'll be stood by the doors greeting people and offering bags. The night before the sale, pretty much everyone will be in until late bringing stock to the shop floor, rearranging everything, and pricing/tagging ready for the sale to start in the early hours of the next morning. When it comes to sale time, you will be tidying a lot. The dressing rooms will be closed so no one will be working that. It's mainly gonna be tidying, offering bags, and till work. It's very fast paced, but I always liked working on the tills :tongue:

I hope this helped! Let me know if you have any more questions :smile:
Don't worry, I had exactly the same questions :tongue: When the applications are in, they shortlist the ones they want to take further. In my case, I got shortlisted and a week or two later the manager rang me and gave me a really short phone interview. He just asked a few questions about my experience and stuff, nothing tough. We then organised a date for the induction (which you get paid for by the way) two weeks later. From what I remember, it only took about an hour or so. We gave them our birth certificates and stuff so they could photocopy and then we watched a couple of videos. One on 'what if someone tries to bomb the store!' and the other on general sales policies and stuff, and how things run during the sales. We then got taken on a short tour, first to the main stockroom where we could learn how to clock in and out. We all had a go at that and we got the information of our first shifts then too, so when and which department. We also got our payroll numbers then. Then they showed us how to use the little tagging machines in case we were put on repricing items on one of our shifts. After that, they took us down to the shop floor and showed us where things were, and showed us how to sign in/out. After that all we had to do was pick up our things back at the office upstairs then sign out, and we were good to go. Then all we had to do was turn up for our first shift, whenever that was :tongue:

As for working there, if you're on the shop floor you'll most likely be tidying up and helping customers until they've till trained you, and then you'll do a bit of both. You'll be assigned a department, so you won't have the whole shop to deal with! You may also be put as front of house, in which case you'll be stood by the doors greeting people and offering bags. The night before the sale, pretty much everyone will be in until late bringing stock to the shop floor, rearranging everything, and pricing/tagging ready for the sale to start in the early hours of the next morning. When it comes to sale time, you will be tidying a lot. The dressing rooms will be closed so no one will be working that. It's mainly gonna be tidying, offering bags, and till work. It's very fast paced, but I always liked working on the tills :tongue:

I hope this helped! Let me know if you have any more questions :smile:

Thank you so much! What do I have to wear for an induction? xx
Thank you so much! What do I have to wear for an induction? xx

Just something smart. I wore black shoes, a black midi A-line skirt and a chiffon black tshirt style top with a thin black cardigan over it. Most people did stick to black and white. The regular store assistants wore all black normally, so I felt it was a pretty safe choice. It doesn't need to be overly formal; don't feel you have to dig out a trouser suit or anything! As long as what you wear is nice, appropriate, and the kind of thing you might wear if you worked there you should be fine. You'll wear the same kind of thing when you're working up until the sale, when you'll wear a sale t shirt on top which they should give you in the induction actually. You will get first pick of the sale items though and a discount so there's that to look forward to!
This thread is 10 years old this month! Here's hoping it's helped plenty of people get the jobs they've applied for!
Just something smart. I wore black shoes, a black midi A-line skirt and a chiffon black tshirt style top with a thin black cardigan over it. Most people did stick to black and white. The regular store assistants wore all black normally, so I felt it was a pretty safe choice. It doesn't need to be overly formal; don't feel you have to dig out a trouser suit or anything! As long as what you wear is nice, appropriate, and the kind of thing you might wear if you worked there you should be fine. You'll wear the same kind of thing when you're working up until the sale, when you'll wear a sale t shirt on top which they should give you in the induction actually. You will get first pick of the sale items though and a discount so there's that to look forward to!

Last question I promise! Where will I have to go in the store for my induction? i.e what do I actually do when I get there? x
Last question I promise! Where will I have to go in the store for my induction? i.e what do I actually do when I get there? x

When you get the email after the interview, I'm sure it mentions it in it. Either way, just ask any staff member you see in store and they'll direct you to the right place :tongue: You can't get to the offices or anything by yourself, and there'll be a group of people for the induction as well as you so everyone should know what you mean. They'll get you to the right person who will most likely take you to sign in and then to an office :smile:
Reply 8008
i''m so annoyed i just missed a call to arrange the induction what should i do :frown:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by ombbk
i''m so annoyed i just missed a call to arrange the induction what should i do :frown:

Just call them back. Leave a message if you need to letting them know who you are and that you're sorry you missed the call but are interested and when would be a good time to call
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8010
Posted from TSR Mobile

Just call them back. Leave a message if you need to letting them know who you are and that you're sorry you missed the call but are interested and when would be a good time to call

she called me back and i have the induction next week! thank you :smile:
I'm starting as a Sales support team member next week and I was looking at my rota. I noticed some of my shifts say "DL" but what does this mean? I assume CW is children's wear and HM is home no idea what DL is. Anyone know?
Original post by simont4
I'm starting as a Sales support team member next week and I was looking at my rota. I noticed some of my shifts say "DL" but what does this mean? I assume CW is children's wear and HM is home no idea what DL is. Anyone know?

DL stands for delivery. They tend to start you off here as its quite straight forward, and they may require you to help on delivery, as it tends to be timed etc. Also, the sale is soon.
Anyone else working Sale sick of the unisex t-shirts? They never fit us guys. Feel like I'm going tear open the back just by picking something up off the floor and the neck's are too loose!
Anyone starting at Watford Waterfields with an induction this week? 👀 Whats our pay?
I had a phone interview last Tuesday for the Sales Support Team, and the woman told me she would let me know whether or not I got it but she didn't give a date. The definite working days are Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and I'm desperate for this. Should I ring them back for an update, or would it be safe to say at this stage that I haven't got it?
Anyone working at Sale tomorrow until Monday? (16/07 - 19/07)

For those who have worked on Sale Days before, what does the Till Controller have to do? Apparently I'm on Recovery and Till Controller for most of my shift tomorrow (16/07)
How did everyone find sale? Any stories?
Any advice for the initial online application? What should I keep in mind when answering the ability questions/what do Next look for?
Reply 8019
My advice;

Answer competency based questions by giving examples of when you’ve demonstrated a particular skill or displayed a certain value or behaviour

Try and trial your interview answers with a friend
Be on time leave plenty of time to get there
Be yourself be honest, open and sell yourself

Some information may also benefit the here; http://www.job-application.co.uk/next-job-application-form.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending