The Student Room Group

Working at Next

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kenanandkel
I am only working 4 hours on the day off the summer sale, I was just wondering do you think I could ask the manager if I work more hours? Has anyone done that? Or would that not be allowed?

Tbh at my Next i've just started at they're asking people to ask employees to get their friends and family to help in the sale. So if it's like that elsewhere sure you could ask for more.
Reply 981
Original post by adh5643
Depends on your store, in mine they had people work for an extra week so it does happen, you might even get a permanent job this has also happened in my store.

not sure about working at two branches, they have a central system so it might cause problems putting you on it twice (if that makes sense)

and yes sale shirts (love the next sale i think they are or were) :smile:

Would it be compulsory to wear the sale shirts? I wouldn't prefer to wear them unless they're long sleeve :\

I received another call from the Trafford Centre inviting me to a group interview tomorrow but I had to turn it down due to the fact I have been accepted at another branch for the summer sale.
Original post by Gob Bluth
Tbh at my Next i've just started at they're asking people to ask employees to get their friends and family to help in the sale. So if it's like that elsewhere sure you could ask for more.

I thought that I could just say to him that IF they are any extra hours floating about, I am willing to work those hours, that sounds okay doesn't it?
Original post by kenanandkel
I thought that I could just say to him that IF they are any extra hours floating about, I am willing to work those hours, that sounds okay doesn't it?

Absolutely.

I haven't got any nice clothes to wear at my first shift on Saturday, what would you guys suggest i do? Shall i buy something from Next? But don't i get allowance if i wait? But i also want to look smart.
Original post by Gob Bluth
Absolutely.

I haven't got any nice clothes to wear at my first shift on Saturday, what would you guys suggest i do? Shall i buy something from Next? But don't i get allowance if i wait? But i also want to look smart.

I just brought myself a white shirt and grey trousers from primark and I had smart black shoes from years ago, not buying expensive clothes because I am waiting for the allowance. Look in your wardrobe, you are bound to find something. Remember to be smart mate.
Reply 985
Worked two 4 hour shifts and was told today that i'm gonna be on the tills during the sale. Kinda looking forward to it, in a weird way!

Anyone else have to go in for 30 minutes on saturday for sale training? Everyone from our store has to be in at 8.30am for training. :frown:
Reply 986
Original post by Erratic
Would it be compulsory to wear the sale shirts? I wouldn't prefer to wear them unless they're long sleeve :\

I received another call from the Trafford Centre inviting me to a group interview tomorrow but I had to turn it down due to the fact I have been accepted at another branch for the summer sale.

im not too sure about them being compulsory :s-smilie:

what store are you working at, if you don't mind me asking :smile:
Original post by felicityx
Worked two 4 hour shifts and was told today that i'm gonna be on the tills during the sale. Kinda looking forward to it, in a weird way!

Anyone else have to go in for 30 minutes on saturday for sale training? Everyone from our store has to be in at 8.30am for training. :frown:

Hey, I've also had similar shifts to you and wondering if they will ask me on my 2nd day working there (I'm working there this week and next weeks sale) I reallyyyy want tills but they're teaching me the basics before I step up a level. Frustrating. Can I just ask, what have they tought you so far?
Much hatred for the Next employee computer system!!! :angry:
Reply 989
Original post by adh5643
im not too sure about them being compulsory :s-smilie:

what store are you working at, if you don't mind me asking :smile:

Manchester Arndale and which store are you working at?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Erratic
Manchester Arndale and which store are you working at?

P.S. I decided to go for a white shirt, black trousers, black tie and a waistcoat (for my interview and induction) - Is this ok?

Yeah that's fine.

I had a long phone conversation with a lovely admin lady from your store today :ahee:
Reply 991
Got my shift times for the summer sale today, 8-12 midnight on Friday then 5-8 am on Saturday, should be fun :biggrin: what are the chances to get a longer temporary/permanent contract? cos I'm only working the sales period, and what would the pay be for a 17 year old? [s]confused[\s]

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire
[QUOTE="vortteexx;38443098"]Got my shift times for the summer sale today, 8-12 midnight on Friday then 5-8 am on Saturday, should be fun :biggrin: what are the chances to get a longer temporary/permanent contract? cos I'm only working the sales period, and what would the pay be for a 17 year old? :confused:
Will the shift times come up on NEP?
Reply 993
I think a lot of people recently are interested in whether you can extend your part time contract after the sales period. Can someone please tell us if this is possible?
Original post by gunit123
I think a lot of people recently are interested in whether you can extend your part time contract after the sales period. Can someone please tell us if this is possible?

It is yes, I myself joined as a temp during Christmas sales and had my contract extended. However, it is very selective and is only subject to availability at your store. It's decided by the store and the store alone, some will keep a few temps on, some will keep none.

You just have to work hard, really sell yourself as a good worker. And for Christ's sake don't be late. Ever. :biggrin:
Reply 995
I didn't get my job, so pissed off.
Original post by MrWill
I didn't get my job, so pissed off.

Hard luck mate, sorry to hear that. Have you asked for feedback?
Reply 997
Original post by Aaaaaaaargh!
Hard luck mate, sorry to hear that. Have you asked for feedback?

I would if i could because i have been ringing around all week to find out if i was successful or not as my interview was on the 25th June, and i had just received an email saying i didn't get it, so pissed off because it was ideal for me. but the person that phoned me for the interview rang on a withheld number, and trying to get through to the person that interviewed me through customer service is like trying to find a needle in a haystack, I do want feedback though because i have had an interview with another place which i also didn't get!
Reply 998
I had my interview today and the interviewer asked me what my hobbies were, my ambitions and what I was currently doing. When I explained to the lady that I will be going to University in September, she stopped me there and told me that the position I was applying for was a permanent position and that I wouldn't be able to complete the training if I left in September.

So, she asked me whether or not she should continue with the interview and I asked her to go ahead. The next set of questions the lady asked were formal questions, related to the job. Some of the questions I can remember were:

1) What are the responsibilities of the job?
2) It can be repetitive, so how would you motivate yourself? What would you do?

That's about it, I can't remember the other questions.
I just had my induction today :smile: I'm contracted for a 4 hours shift on Mondays, but I'm 'fully flexible' so hopefully they'll give me more hours. I already have another shift on Saturday (although I think that's just the second part of the induction. I think I still get paid for it though.) and everyone has to go in on Friday evening to prepare for the sale.

Does anyone know how I can find out what my hourly rate of pay is? I know it'll say on my payslip but I haven't been paid yet so I don't have one. :P It doesn't seem to say anywhere on the website. I can't remember what it said when I applied for the job and nobody said anything about it at the interview or induction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending