The Student Room Group

Working at Next

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by Unientry2012
Yeah when doing a night shift I felt stupid in my shirt and trousers whilst others were dressed so casually. You'll be doing ALOT of moving, shifting and sorting so wear something really comfortable! Tight shirts and trousers will affect your performance (imo). Eat plenty of food and drink water!

What were the men sales assistants wearing on the shopfloor? the sale shirt with trousers or did they wear jeans? also did they have shoes or trainers?
I wanted to request to take one day off work on Friday the 3rd of August, it says when I click on that day, "available to work within period?", what does this mean?
Original post by Greggors
What were the men sales assistants wearing on the shopfloor? the sale shirt with trousers or did they wear jeans? also did they have shoes or trainers?

For the guy colleagues..
Night shift: Plain tee, dark jeans, smart/casual shoes
Day shift: Shirt, Black shoes and black trousers (that's those who work on shop floor).
Reply 1183
Original post by kenanandkel
I wanted to request to take one day off work on Friday the 3rd of August, it says when I click on that day, "available to work within period?", what does this mean?

It means do you want to work another day in that week if there are shifts available.. for example you need a week off and you worked just weekends, you book them and chose not available to work in that period.. if however you just wanted the weekend off and don't mind working some shifts during that week, then you choose available to work..

does that make sense ? :smile:
Reply 1184
Original post by Unientry2012
For the guy colleagues..
Night shift: Plain tee, dark jeans, smart/casual shoes
Day shift: Shirt, Black shoes and black trousers (that's those who work on shop floor).

Thanks for the reply, do you mean black trousers as in suit trousers or chinos? and the shirt is the sale shirt? not meaning to be annoying its just ive been given no instruction at all and its my second shift..
Reply 1185
Does anyone know why you don't get paid your first weeks wages? I called them and they say something about a loop :s-smilie: the system works in a loop? weird as i got paid second weeks wages but not first :angry:
Original post by adh5643
It means do you want to work another day in that week if there are shifts available.. for example you need a week off and you worked just weekends, you book them and chose not available to work in that period.. if however you just wanted the weekend off and don't mind working some shifts during that week, then you choose available to work..

does that make sense ? :smile:

Makes sense, cheers mate :smile:
Reply 1187
Original post by Tallapodee
I'm working tonight too, and was told to wear tshirt and jeans and comfortable shoes. I think it would be the same with most stores, just come in casual but nothing inappropriate or impractical.

Hey Im working a night shift today and was just wondering if when you said to wear a Tshirt do you mean any Tshirt or the next sale one they give you ? Sorry it's my first time working here so I'm a bit clueless :/
Reply 1188
Original post by Randomination22
It's going to be interesting considering I finish at 10pm tonight and start at 6am tomorrow (it's been a while since I've been up that early). D:

I'll be doing "wrapping" tomorrow and I was told by my manager that he'll be testing me on what is expected, but I don't have the booklet he was pointing out. Although self-explanatory, what would you say is expected of it? Has anyone done it before? :smile:

I finish at 11pm today and start at 7am tomorrow so it looks we're on the same boat! Will only get about 4 hours of sleep tonight if I'm lucky.

I've only been working at Next for 3 weeks now, only done 3 shifts. Having a break of only 8 hours between shifts is brutal! :frown:
Reply 1189
Original post by star :)
Hey Im working a night shift today and was just wondering if when you said to wear a Tshirt do you mean any Tshirt or the next sale one they give you ? Sorry it's my first time working here so I'm a bit clueless :/

I'm clueless about that too and I'm doing tonight and tomorrow morning, but I think that if they expect you to wear any sale t shirt, they would give you one? :P
Original post by star :)

Any t shirt, you only wear the Next sale t shirt tomorrow :smile:
Original post by Emmak7
I finish at 11pm today and start at 7am tomorrow so it looks we're on the same boat! Will only get about 4 hours of sleep tonight if I'm lucky.

I've only been working at Next for 3 weeks now, only done 3 shifts. Having a break of only 8 hours between shifts is brutal! :frown:

I finish at 10 today and start at 6 tomorrow, lol f our lives :frown: And same this is like my third week but I've done like 5 shifts!

Also does anyone know when the sales end?
Reply 1192
What is the first thing u do when u start the shift? Do u fill in the log book and go to the manager?
Original post by gunit123
What is the first thing u do when u start the shift? Do u fill in the log book and go to the manager?

For me it was sign in to logbook right away, and then clock in? I've only done 1 shift, might be forgetting something tho...

For the people doing a shift after it closes tonight i just rung up and they said wear what you like. So yeah i guess dark jeans, plain t shirt, and normal shoes be absolutely fine
Reply 1194
Original post by Gob Bluth
For me it was sign in to logbook right away, and then clock in? I've only done 1 shift, might be forgetting something tho...

For the people doing a shift after it closes tonight i just rung up and they said wear what you like. So yeah i guess dark jeans, plain t shirt, and normal shoes be absolutely fine

How did you find out did you ring and ask for the manager? im trying to find out what i have to wear tomorrow..
Reply 1195
Original post by Erratic
I work on Saturday from 6am till 12. I wanted to work as a till user too but they never mentioned anything, we didn't even receive any training on what we'll be doing.. :| I guess it'll most likely be picking stuff up (no training required for picking stuff up lol). Btw, are you temp sale only?

You could talk to your manager, they can make exceptions. I am allowed to wear my something under the T-shirt. What would you suggest?

Dark blue jeans with the sale shirt because i don't want to wear suit trousers with the t-shirt because i think everyone will show up in jeans but im not sure, its my second shift and i already feel uncomfortable anyway never mind looking an idiot. T-shirts and trousers just dont go.
Reply 1196
Hi, i am on the tils tomorrow, taking payments ,uh oh! Iv never dun refunds or exchanges. and only served a few customers ever!! any tips I rly want to be quick and perform well pretty please.
Yeah I dont like the look of black trousers and the sale t. do u think if i turn up in skinny dark jeans they will say something? its more fashionable but they r topshop! I feel silly in my black trousers and uncomfortable.
Is it literally customer after customer on the tils???? Im nervous!!!!! hehe
If i dont do well i know my 3 month contract which ends soon will not be renewed. cos i have done one or two things wrong that the manager was there to see.oops.
Reply 1197
Original post by arnz
Hi, i am on the tils tomorrow, taking payments ,uh oh! Iv never dun refunds or exchanges. and only served a few customers ever!! any tips I rly want to be quick and perform well pretty please.
Yeah I dont like the look of black trousers and the sale t. do u think if i turn up in skinny dark jeans they will say something? its more fashionable but they r topshop! I feel silly in my black trousers and uncomfortable.
Is it literally customer after customer on the tils???? Im nervous!!!!! hehe
If i dont do well i know my 3 month contract which ends soon will not be renewed. cos i have done one or two things wrong that the manager was there to see.oops.

Next doesn't accept refunds or exchanges on the sale days.
Reply 1198
brill, thanks for that. one less thing to worry about
Don't go in for the sale wearing jeans unless they're black and smart! This is my 5th sale and I've never seen anyone wear blue jeans with the sale tops. Always black trousers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending