The Student Room Group

Working at Next

Scroll to see replies

Original post by flamingoshoes
Next is genuinely the worst job I've ever had (although, my issues are with the managers in my store, not the company as a whole so maybe it's better elsewhere?)

Firstly, I got the job offer in April. They didn't start me until June, despite me ringing twice a week asking when I'm starting - I think they only started me in June because I kicked off that they were messing me around and I could have gone for another job instead of waiting for them to make their mind up.

Then, on my induction, they told me I had a job as stockroom assistant - despite the fact that I interviewed for, and was told I had got, the job of sales assistant. But I let it slide, a job's a job. So I did all the stockroom training, started doing my Tuesday night shifts - until a week later when they rang me to tell me that they were in fact wrong, and my job was sales assistant on a Saturday. Righto. Problem is, by that time I'd already made arrangements for Saturdays, since I thought I was working Tuesdays. So they (begrudgingly, because it was entirely their fault) said I could keep the Tuesday job.

After this, they began throwing shifts at me left right and centre, which was great - except they clearly hadn't looked at the portal where I'd put my availability as not being able to work Tuesday and Thursday daytime (I volunteer as a teaching assistant). They kept giving me shifts on Thursdays amongst other days (which I could do) - so when I rang up to say I couldn't do the Thursday, I'd check the portal after, and find that ALL my extra shifts were gone. It was almost as if they were saying "well if you can't work one shift, we're not giving you any". It's the same if they ring me randomly to ask if I can work extra, if I can't do it, I'll check the portal about 15 mins later and find all my shifts that week (except contract) taken off me. It's a complete joke.

On the plus side, at least I've only got 5 weeks left. THANK GOD.

The company as a whole are ****ers so your store isn't the only one! My last shift is next Saturday! Cannot come sooner, really. I only gave three weeks notice too and to be honest, they're luckily I gave them even that.
Original post by R3cognize
The company as a whole are ****ers so your store isn't the only one! My last shift is next Saturday! Cannot come sooner, really. I only gave three weeks notice too and to be honest, they're luckily I gave them even that.

Stupid question but what is this notice thing? What does it include? When/why do you have to give it?
Reply 1382
Original post by YMLT
As long as you have your contracted time booked off, then what other staff are booking off wont effect you. If you're not contracted to work then they can't force you to :smile: Just change your availability as soon as you can to help the manager out.

When you sign a new contract I'm pretty sure they have to honour any holidays you have in the next 6 weeks or something? (Might be wrong), so if they do change your contracted hours make sure you check with someone :smile:

thanks thats really helpful :smile: I wasnt really sure
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Stupid question but what is this notice thing? What does it include? When/why do you have to give it?

No worries, a 'notice' is something you give in when you want to leave a company for whatever reason. It's basically a written letter stating that you're leaving and when your last working day will be. Companies differ on the notice period they'd like you to give them. Usually you have to give three-four weeks notice. (So you'd state your last working day would be three-four weeks from the day you've written the letter.) But that should be written in your contract. :smile:

For next, if you've been there over three months you have to give four weeks notice.
No worries, a 'notice' is something you give in when you want to leave a company for whatever reason. It's basically a written letter stating that you're leaving and when your last working day will be. Companies differ on the notice period they'd like you to give them. Usually you have to give three-four weeks notice. (So you'd state your last working day would be three-four weeks from the day you've written the letter.) But that should be written in your contract. :smile:

For next, if you've been there over three months you have to give four weeks notice.

oh ok thanks :smile: What format does it take - a letter? How long does it have to be?
Original post by InadequateJusticex
oh ok thanks :smile: What format does it take - a letter? How long does it have to be?

Not long at all, I just got lined paper, wrote the date, wrote I was leaving, my last working day, signed it and put it into an evolope and gave it to my manager.
Not long at all, I just got lined paper, wrote the date, wrote I was leaving, my last working day, signed it and put it into an evolope and gave it to my manager.

oh I see thanks a lot ^.^

are all next stores just bad? mine is awful too the company is a mess
Original post by jada897
Can someone help me with booking time off? I need a week off and ive had the 2 days a week that i am contracted for approved so thats okay, but for the rest of the week i guess i will need to temporarily change my availability? Thing is its in a couple of months time so i cant change my availability yet - what if a lot of people have booked time off? Also my days might change after september so will i have to change my annual leave then? thanks :L :biggrin:

It should say on your holiday time (when you book it on NEP) when your 'first day back' is. I've booked off 21st, 27th and 29th, it says my 'first day back' is my next contracted shift not booked off, the 3rd of september.

Hope that makes sense!
Original post by VanessaXD
are all next stores just bad? mine is awful too the company is a mess

Most of the time it's down to poor communication between different levels of management. It goes without saying the successes of a company is built upon effective communication.

I really have no idea whether anyone important within Next reads this (doubt it), but I personally think it's something that needs addressing pretty majorly; problems started arising when everyone had these consultations months ago with hours being cut, people don't see each other and there's an over-reliance for written communication which is nowhere near as efficient as face-to-face.

I haven't seen my line manager in three weeks, we write post-it notes to each other. Which just says it all really!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Aaaaaaaargh!
Most of the time it's down to poor communication between different levels of management. It goes without saying the successes of a company is built upon effective communication.

I really have no idea whether anyone important within Next reads this (doubt it), but I personally think it's something that needs addressing pretty majorly; problems started arising when everyone had these consultations months ago with hours being cut, people don't see each other and there's an over-reliance for written communication which is nowhere near as efficient as face-to-face.

I haven't seen my line manager in three weeks, we write post-it notes to each other. Which just says it all really!

Yeah I know there is like literally no communication...
I really disagree actually, I think my branch is really good with communication and the line managers give specific orders right down to the T.

On some "off-days" communication does go a little flat because a line manager is simply having a bad day but rarely.

I think that, so far, 60/70% of the time it's actually a pleasure working there. Nearly all my colleagues are really bubbly, outgoing and make the hours go fast really, with the odd few. It isn't all that great but it could be worse... but maybe I'm just lucky.
Reply 1392
Original post by Unientry2012
I really disagree actually, I think my branch is really good with communication and the line managers give specific orders right down to the T.

On some "off-days" communication does go a little flat because a line manager is simply having a bad day but rarely.

I think that, so far, 60/70% of the time it's actually a pleasure working there. Nearly all my colleagues are really bubbly, outgoing and make the hours go fast really, with the odd few. It isn't all that great but it could be worse... but maybe I'm just lucky.

Yeah, I completely agree. I just turned down Waitrose because, among other reasons, I'm perfectly happy at Next :smile:
Original post by Unientry2012

Oh absolutely, I agree, I enjoy working for Next and have recently told them so in their employees survey. I've made friends with people I didn't think I normally would and I've learnt a lot in a short space of time.

I suppose poor communication is something which frustrates me greatly, so I notice it more. You have good days and bad days, much like any job.

I had a bad day today, which doesn't help things. One of those days you just get home and collapse on the sofa for hours.
Reply 1394
Oh absolutely, I agree, I enjoy working for Next and have recently told them so in their employees survey. I've made friends with people I didn't think I normally would and I've learnt a lot in a short space of time.

I suppose poor communication is something which frustrates me greatly, so I notice it more. You have good days and bad days, much like any job.

I had a bad day today, which doesn't help things. One of those days you just get home and collapse on the sofa for hours.

Just out of interest, were you open longer today?
Original post by YMLT
Just out of interest, were you open longer today?

No, but we will be doing over the Olympics and Paralympics.
...How could anyone possibly give that a neg? :confused:
Reply 1397
No, but we will be doing over the Olympics and Paralympics.

We had our first 'extended opening' yesterday, until 6. Were the only shop open on the high street :tongue:

...How could anyone possibly give that a neg? :confused:

I have had some WEIRD negs recently :rolleyes:

Yeah haha your opinion does temporarily change depending on how your day went.
Good day = Next are absolutely brilliant
Bad day = Next can stuff their clothes where the sun don't shine

:rolleyes:
Reply 1399
I'm so confused.

I have a shift today from 17-20:00 ( There was a disagreement between my managers as to my actual shifts so my contract says I'm a Monday's 8-12 and my Assistant manager has told me I'm actually a Mondays and Wednesday 5-8 and 1-5)

I just went to check NEP and under today's shift it says 17-20:00 and then under Absence 'unknown'. And have no idea what that means?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending