The Student Room Group

Working at Next

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princess92
Do u get this back in your next payslip or does it come seperatly. I need to call them, and it may be to late for my next payslip. However I plan to leave in two weeks. How will this work

That in itself is actually down to HMRC to deal with. It would depend on whether you are owed tax solely for this financial year (April '12 - April '13) or for several financial years. If it's just this current financial year, the rebate will be paid back to you in your payslip from Next. If it's from a previous financial year, you will be sent a cheque in the post by HMRC.

If you happen to leave the company, you will still receive a payslip for your final few weeks, so it could be paid back via that or just through a cheque in the post.

As I say though, that's an issue for HMRC, not Next. Give them a call, I've found they're very helpful over the phone and will happily explain things in detail to you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1581
Original post by Aaaaaaaargh!
Aw :sad:

Is that ironic? I'm not sure whether I am complaining too much but I do think that changing my contract hours without even telling me and without giving me a new contract to sign or anything, is not very professional...
Original post by Emmak7
Is that ironic? I'm not sure whether I am complaining too much but I do think that changing my contract hours without even telling me and without giving me a new contract to sign or anything, is not very professional...

No it's just you said it's the admin side of it you hated and I'm an admin haha :smile: Just me trying to be funny but nevermind...

And FWIW, it's the managers who deal with T&A (Time and Attendance), but if I heard one of them trying to change contracted shifts, I'd probably ask them why they were doing it. It should be avoided; maybe every once in a while it's necessary but the employee should always be informed at the earliest opportunity; and even then it's frowned upon.

Sorry it's all a bit ****, how about going to talk to the office manager or maybe ASM/Store Manager?
Reply 1583
No it's just you said it's the admin side of it you hated and I'm an admin haha :smile: Just me trying to be funny but nevermind...

And FWIW, it's the managers who deal with T&A (Time and Attendance), but if I heard one of them trying to change contracted shifts, I'd probably ask them why they were doing it. It should be avoided; maybe every once in a while it's necessary but the employee should always be informed at the earliest opportunity; and even then it's frowned upon.

Sorry it's all a bit ****, how about going to talk to the office manager or maybe ASM/Store Manager?

haha sorry!!

thanks for the info! I plan to talk to the office manager when I find her :P
That in itself is actually down to HMRC to deal with. It would depend on whether you are owed tax solely for this financial year (April '12 - April '13) or for several financial years. If it's just this current financial year, the rebate will be paid back to you in your payslip from Next. If it's from a previous financial year, you will be sent a cheque in the post by HMRC.

If you happen to leave the company, you will still receive a payslip for your final few weeks, so it could be paid back via that or just through a cheque in the post.

As I say though, that's an issue for HMRC, not Next. Give them a call, I've found they're very helpful over the phone and will happily explain things in detail to you.

I'll give them a call tommorow. Hopefully it'll come into my next pay which is next week I think? Its just for this finanical year.
Also is a verbal notice okay. I think I may just go give my notice tomoz. I have had enough
I'll give them a call tommorow. Hopefully it'll come into my next pay which is next week I think? Its just for this finanical year.
Also is a verbal notice okay. I think I may just go give my notice tomoz. I have had enough

No I'm afraid not, notices must always be in writing because we need them for records (personnel files must be kept for a certain period of time even after you have left). If you tell the store manager, they'll just tell you to put it in writing.

And yes this month's payday is approaching fast so if you want the rebate in your payslip, phone HMRC ASAP because there's always a slight processing delay.
No I'm afraid not, notices must always be in writing because we need them for records (personnel files must be kept for a certain period of time even after you have left). If you tell the store manager, they'll just tell you to put it in writing.

And yes this month's payday is approaching fast so if you want the rebate in your payslip, phone HMRC ASAP because there's always a slight processing delay.

I can tell them tomoz and then give them my notice in paper over the weekend.
Reply 1587
Can anyone else book time off using the online portal? I've made myself temporarily unavailable for a day (just so I don't have to do overtime on that day) but the manager can still book me on a shift on that day? Why?
Reply 1588

Hi on the notice we hand in, what does it need to say? First time I've done this, cheers.
Original post by 93M
Hi on the notice we hand in, what does it need to say? First time I've done this, cheers.

Well coincidentally I actually also handed my notice in a few weeks ago because I'm going to uni in September. Here's what mine said:

---
Dear [Store Manager],

Following our conversation on the matter, I hereby give notice that my final shift with Next will be Thursday 13th September before I leave for university; due to commitments with [something personal], I have decided that I will not be seeking a transfer to a Leeds store once I move there.

I have very much enjoyed working in your store, especially so over the more recent months as an Administrator and may I thank you for the opportunities I have been provided with whilst working here. I wish you every success in the future.
Regards,
Aaaaaaaargh!
---

Keep it short and sweet, I've seen notices that are just two lines which outline when their last shift will be; which is still perfectly acceptable. It's just I get on with my store manager quite well so I just wanted to say a few words haha!

And no, my real name isn't Aaaaaaaargh.
That was a nice letter. I guess I was more to the point due to their behavior towards me, yet they asked me to work two shifts and me being a nice as I am I agreed.
(edited 11 years ago)

i have been on hold for 20min. iss this normal
Reply 1592
I've been given really crap hours after sales week, this week was an exception where I was asked to work extra because the manager who deals with stockroom is back from holiday so asked me to work over.

I've just logged onto portal to find I've been given 20 hours for the next week.
I'm actually confused as to how they work out who they're going to give hours too.
Reply 1593
Original post by Sabali
I've been given really crap hours after sales week, this week was an exception where I was asked to work extra because the manager who deals with stockroom is back from holiday so asked me to work over.

I've just logged onto portal to find I've been given 20 hours for the next week.
I'm actually confused as to how they work out who they're going to give hours too.

The Time and attendance system, automatically gives you shifts depending on your availabilty, how many shifts depend on how well the store is doing on targets, more money means higher targets which means more hours, less money, not meeting targets, no hours. make sense ? :smile:
I finally had some till training on Sunday! But only 10 minutes worth and then my till pin wouldnt work *rolls eyes*. However, I am really hoping I get another go on Saturday as it was much more enjoyable than just standing on the front and then the fitting rooms. In regards to my previous post, I have no problem with the £10 giftcards, I just have an isue with doing that alone for 4 hours...But yeah, hopefully things will improve now that I have had training! The Sunday staff were really shocked I hadn't had any training for it.

With regards to handing in notice, as I start teacher training soon so am not going to have enough time and we will also be moving to the next city which makes it too far to travel, as it is one week's notice and I work on a Saturday, if I handed my notice in on the Saturday, my last shift would be the following Saturday? I just want to make sure, as I have never handed it in before!
i have been on hold for 20min. iss this normal

Sadly, yes. I've been on hold to them for 37 minutes before. I hope you got through in the end! :smile:
Reply 1596
Original post by adh5643
The Time and attendance system, automatically gives you shifts depending on your availabilty, how many shifts depend on how well the store is doing on targets, more money means higher targets which means more hours, less money, not meeting targets, no hours. make sense ? :smile:

Yes thank you :smile:!
I think it's just because I know the store manager and assistant manager fiddle around with the shift system (I was only working 2 shifts for the next week until the delivery manager told me they'd changed it) that it confused me.

Can I just ask when the next pay date is please?
I think I'm being paid monthly since my contract has been extended, but haven't told me.
Reply 1597
Original post by Sabali
Yes thank you :smile:!
I think it's just because I know the store manager and assistant manager fiddle around with the shift system (I was only working 2 shifts for the next week until the delivery manager told me they'd changed it) that it confused me.

Can I just ask when the next pay date is please?
I think I'm being paid monthly since my contract has been extended, but haven't told me.

Delivery is a bit different, more units in a delivery means more hours to fill,

next pay date is the 24th :smile:
Reply 1598
i just got offered a job at next :smile: yayyyyy
Reply 1599
Original post by adh5643
Delivery is a bit different, more units in a delivery means more hours to fill,

next pay date is the 24th :smile:

Thank you :smile:!

Last question, I promise :tongue:

What is the cut of date for pay for this month?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending