The Student Room Group

Working at Next

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Original post by princess_peach45
if that is the case, then your managers are completely unproffessional. no manager should make any comment to you whilst a customer is in ear shot. i had this with a previous store manager and after they left a customer told me how horrible it was for to listen to that. nobody has belittled or shouted at anyone, there are questions that can be asked on a forum such as this i.e discount or uniform rules but reading time after time about " will i get extra hours" or "i cant do that shift" becomes annoying.

which store do you work at? just out of interest..
im not going through 89 pages to find incorrect information. it seems you think this was a personal comment. it was not.

I didn't take it as a personal comment in any way. Its just when you come into the thread and brand most of the information on here as wrong, it kind of devalues the effort people put on here. It's as annoying as the people who come in and say "I worked for next and hated it" and nothing else.

And if you did actually go through the 89 pages on here, you'd struggle to find much wrong that hasn't been corrected.

You don't have to contribute on here if you don't want.
Original post by adh5643
which store do you work at? just out of interest..

with all the rules regarding social media etc im not going to say as some of the comments on this thread are negative and after working for the company for 6 years i kinda value having a job. im from scotland though.

Original post by Aaaaaaaargh!
I didn't take it as a personal comment in any way. Its just when you come into the thread and brand most of the information on here as wrong, it kind of devalues the effort people put on here. It's as annoying as the people who come in and say "I worked for next and hated it" and nothing else.

And if you did actually go through the 89 pages on here, you'd struggle to find much wrong that hasn't been corrected.

You don't have to contribute on here if you don't want.

i have actually read all 89 pages, i wanted to find out the general consensus on working for next.
i contribute as i do not wish people to have unanswered or wrong information, the same reason you post on here.
Reply 1783
funny how a manager posts on here, turning the entire thread into an argument on who is right and wrong, sounds like a shift tbh
Original post by adh5643
funny how a manager posts on here, turning the entire thread into an argument on who is right and wrong, sounds like a shift tbh

i didnt question who was right or wrong, you two are the biggest contributers to the thread so i assume you are taking it personally. however it wasnt. i corrected the information you gave which i think you said you werent entirely sure of (cant remember). the wrong information has mainly come from people who have not worked there for very long.

i think you have a thing against managers.......... i however kick ass at it :five: :smile:
Reply 1785
i didnt question who was right or wrong, you two are the biggest contributers to the thread so i assume you are taking it personally. however it wasnt. i corrected the information you gave which i think you said you werent entirely sure of (cant remember). the wrong information has mainly come from people who have not worked there for very long.

i think you have a thing against managers.......... i however kick ass at it :five: :smile:

no one is taking it personally, obviously there will be some wrong info as its hard to get the full information for each person and scenario, but just the way you keep posting with "wrong", it just comes across a bit weird, if that makes sense..

i have nothing against managers, some are really nice who actually bother to train you, show a bit of respect, just their general manner, where as others see staff as animals and the store as their little kingdom lol ..

What grade are you? :smile:
Original post by adh5643
These same managers have huge ego's, shout at you like a 2 year old for making little mistakes, have a go at you in front of customers, treat you like some dirt on the bottom of their shoe, then after alllll that act like they are your best friend when the area manager walks in :angry:

its obvios why people post on here, to get answers without being belittled and shouted at .. rant over..

i know not all the managers are like that, but the majority are

Wow, your managers sound horrible. I've only worked there for a month or 2, but I've never been shouted at or seen anyone else be shouted at. My managers are all reasonably nice. Out of interest, what branch do you work at?
Reply 1787
Can anyone advise me on what questions may be asked for stockroom job. Do stockroom people spend much time on the shop floor? Any tips please I really want this job. Do they just tend to ask questions or do they have you doing practical stuff at interview?
Any advice will be gratefully received.
Reply 1788
Hey! I had two interviews today at Next, one in the fashion store and one in the Home store. I got offered an induction straight away with the home store but I'm waiting to hear back from the other one. What happens if they both offer me an induction? Can I go to both or do I have to choose? Little confused, would appreciate any help! :smile:
Love how people are too busy arguing here now to even help people...
Original post by Marco159
Can anyone advise me on what questions may be asked for stockroom job. Do stockroom people spend much time on the shop floor? Any tips please I really want this job. Do they just tend to ask questions or do they have you doing practical stuff at interview?
Any advice will be gratefully received.

Stockroom staff spend no time on the shop floor, they dress in casual clothes unlike the smarter dressed shop floor staff.
Before I was employed I had an interview for both stockroom and shop floor. For stockroom they will ask you what you think you're job in stockroom involves, ie. unpacking delivery, security tagging clothes, cubing hangers, hanging clothes and putting them away in an ordered fashion and just generally ensuring the stockroom is tidy at all times, you will also aid the shop floor staff in helping them find items, etc. They will also ask you why you think you should get the job, situational questions related to the job and what you think you could bring to the stockroom as a member of staff, nothing too hard.
You will only be asked questions at the interview, no practical stuff will be involved! :smile:
Original post by h7ms
Hey! I had two interviews today at Next, one in the fashion store and one in the Home store. I got offered an induction straight away with the home store but I'm waiting to hear back from the other one. What happens if they both offer me an induction? Can I go to both or do I have to choose? Little confused, would appreciate any help! :smile:

Hey, it really depends on how badly you want a job. If you would be happy with any job then I would go ahead and take the induction from the home store. You need to consider how many hours each position is offering and if they would clash if you were to accept both, this would also have to be discussed with both managers to find out if it would be suitable. I would definitely go ahead and accept the induction with the home store as you do not know yet if the fashion store will offer you an induction. If they do and you decide you would prefer the fashion store I'm sure it would be no problem to say that you had been offered a job somewhere else, you won't have signed a contract yet so won't be tied to the store in any way :smile:
Reply 1792
I've just quit! :biggrin: After two and half years . . . Thank god! Definitely not the most agreeable company to work for . . . But it does get better with time! Now I can stand my shifts and work rather than thinking of ways to escape likeee assaulting a customer, shouting there's a bomb, setting off the fire alarm, the list goes on . . I was very bored during my first few months :wink:

NOTE TO EVERYONE: AVOID FRONT COVER LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 1793
Original post by chloepops
Hey, it really depends on how badly you want a job. If you would be happy with any job then I would go ahead and take the induction from the home store. You need to consider how many hours each position is offering and if they would clash if you were to accept both, this would also have to be discussed with both managers to find out if it would be suitable. I would definitely go ahead and accept the induction with the home store as you do not know yet if the fashion store will offer you an induction. If they do and you decide you would prefer the fashion store I'm sure it would be no problem to say that you had been offered a job somewhere else, you won't have signed a contract yet so won't be tied to the store in any way :smile:

Thank you so much for your help! :smile:
Original post by Cazimodo
I've just quit! :biggrin: After two and half years . . . Thank god! Definitely not the most agreeable company to work for . . . But it does get better with time! Now I can stand my shifts and work rather than thinking of ways to escape likeee assaulting a customer, shouting there's a bomb, setting off the fire alarm, the list goes on . . I was very bored during my first few months :wink:

NOTE TO EVERYONE: AVOID FRONT COVER LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wtf you worked there for that long? :P why did you hate it so much?
Reply 1795
Original post by fayola1337
Wow, your managers sound horrible. I've only worked there for a month or 2, but I've never been shouted at or seen anyone else be shouted at. My managers are all reasonably nice. Out of interest, what branch do you work at?

i don't i can mention the store directly, but its in the north west of england , if that helps :colondollar:
Reply 1796
Original post by VanessaXD
wtf you worked there for that long? :P why did you hate it so much?

I think the only reason I worked there for that long is because I'm slightly mental . . .
And well there are a number of reasons I hate it, here are some of the best :wink: I had a holiday booked before I even started working there which coincided with a sale day, I told them this, so they gave me a final warning, a lovely welcome if there ever was one . . .
They also gave me extra shifts when I told them I couldn't work any extra due it being exam season . . . this happened three times, GCSE's, As Levels, A2 Levels . . .
The managers ignore any requests you might have . . . "Oh, I forgot you said you had a funeral on that day . . . Never mind you'll just have to go to the disciplinary meeting anyway", "Did I not tell you I'd changed your shift to an hour earlier? Silly me I thought I rang you, still it's only one trigger point."
It's illegal for anyone under 18 to work late at night right? So they gave me the 8pm - 2am shift every sale from my 16th . . .
Like I said, some of the best . . . I would continue but I fear you may have switched off already :L I would have, so apart from all that they are an absolutely fantastic company . . . I'm so gutted I can't get a transfer . . . Note the sarcasm :wink:

You work there by any chance? :L
Original post by h7ms
Thank you so much for your help! :smile:

No problem, hope I was able to help and that things turn out good with whatever job you choose! :smile:
Original post by Cazimodo
I think the only reason I worked there for that long is because I'm slightly mental . . .
And well there are a number of reasons I hate it, here are some of the best :wink: I had a holiday booked before I even started working there which coincided with a sale day, I told them this, so they gave me a final warning, a lovely welcome if there ever was one . . .
They also gave me extra shifts when I told them I couldn't work any extra due it being exam season . . . this happened three times, GCSE's, As Levels, A2 Levels . . .
The managers ignore any requests you might have . . . "Oh, I forgot you said you had a funeral on that day . . . Never mind you'll just have to go to the disciplinary meeting anyway", "Did I not tell you I'd changed your shift to an hour earlier? Silly me I thought I rang you, still it's only one trigger point."
It's illegal for anyone under 18 to work late at night right? So they gave me the 8pm - 2am shift every sale from my 16th . . .
Like I said, some of the best . . . I would continue but I fear you may have switched off already :L I would have, so apart from all that they are an absolutely fantastic company . . . I'm so gutted I can't get a transfer . . . Note the sarcasm :wink:

You work there by any chance? :L

damn :O... i've had some experiences like that too so i know how you feel :P
did u actually work till 2am? O_o
lol how many disciplinarys did you have? :| i've had two........

yeah i work there, my last day is friday i thought it was yesterday LOL didn't check my rota. The only reason I like working there is because the employees are really nice, got really close with them and plus ive been there since i finished my a levels XD
they said they would call me back for christmas.......i probz wont feel like it then lol hate busy periods :L

(:
I really want to quit next :frown: most people I work with are nice but I don't really enjoy working there and the pay is kinda crap tbh.

I want to hand in my notice but I want to make sure I quit JUST after 3 months so I don't have to pay uniform allowance (and I only have to wait a week until I stop coming in apparently). I'm not sure if I'm a temp or if my contract is permanent so can i still give in my notice either way? would it give a bad impression? do I have to give it to the store manager or would any manager be fine?

I started on the 24th of June, so according to the NEP website my 12th week would be starting on the 9th of September - should I give in my notice the sunday/monday before that (2nd/3rd of September)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending