Scroll to see replies

The Dark Knight...?!?! :lolwut:
Reply 481
Original post by Champagne Supernova
The Dark Knight...?!?! :lolwut:

What's wrong with the Dark Knight?
Original post by Aj12
What's wrong with the Dark Knight?

Brilliant film and credit where it's due, definitely. I don't understand how it trumps Fight Club though :sad:
Reply 483
Brilliant film and credit where it's due, definitely. I don't understand how it trumps Fight Club though :sad:

I don't see how Sharshank has gotten so far tbh.

I prefer the Dark Knight as a film. I had to study fight club for film studies , so it's no longer the sort of film I can sit back and enjoy having watched it around 10 times and gone over every little detail

I agree. And Silence Of The Lambs in the last round :sad:
Original post by Aj12
I don't see how Sharshank has gotten so far tbh.

I prefer the Dark Knight as a film. I had to study fight club for film studies , so it's no longer the sort of film I can sit back and enjoy having watched it around 10 times and gone over every little detail

I think Phalanges explanations over the course of this thread have been pretty accurate in that the film appeals to the mass market, the happy ending is going to leave people with a nice feeling when they finish watching it. To people who just like/enjoy films (like myself really, I tend not to analyse films), I suppose it will be popular and if with Movie Madness we're appealing to users who aren't regular Film forum users/self-titles film buffs then it might score highly against other films (especially with an imdb ranking of 1 :rolleyes: ).

That's a fair enough statement too. The same can be said for studying classic books in GCSE English. I was lucky enough to enjoy the book I studied but I went and read these 'classics' one summer and I would've hated to study some books. I guess the same can be said for film studies. It's a shame really.

Original post by Jace Falco
I agree. And Silence Of The Lambs in the last round :sad:

I agree, Silence of the Lambs was a shame but I can't say I'm surprised :sad: I think it's a case of simply many more people have seen The Dark Knight :erm:
Reply 486
For madness, this has gone on for ****ing ages

It is a good film, but there is no way it would be near a top 4 to me at least.

I agree, Silence of the Lambs was a shame but I can't say I'm surprised :sad: I think it's a case of simply many more people have seen The Dark Knight :erm:

Totally banking on that, having predicted The Dark Knight to win :p: Currently in 10th place and my sister would love me forever if I presented her with a Zac Efron film on DVD, the stakes are high... :colone:
Oh god... none of my predictions went through the semis, I guess I just have to sit back now :frown:

How the matrix lost to Forrest Gump and Fight Club to the Dark Knight, I will never understand.
It's a shame really. I re-watched The Green Mile recently, which is in many ways a brother film to Shawshank, and I found it to be more gripping and of a higher quality. Yet it's never mentioned in the same breath as The Shawshank Redemption.
Original post by Phalanges
Quarter final results:

The Shawshank Redemption 112 - 89 Inception
Forrest Gump 122 - 96 The Matrix
Fight Club 58 - 79 The Dark Knight
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope 61 - 100 Return of The King

And with that, the semi finals are now up. These will run until Saturday morning, and then the final will run from then to Monday evening.

Sig bit:

[noparse][/noparse]

Any chance of Return of the King getting the 'Lord of the Rings' bit added to the title as well for the polls?

Star Wars got theirs added. :shakecane:
I think we should do a Video Games Madness next.
Reply 493
Champagne Supernova
I think Phalanges explanations over the course of this thread have been pretty accurate in that the film appeals to the mass market, the happy ending is going to leave people with a nice feeling when they finish watching it. To people who just like/enjoy films (like myself really, I tend not to analyse films), I suppose it will be popular and if with Movie Madness we're appealing to users who aren't regular Film forum users/self-titles film buffs then it might score highly against other films (especially with an imdb ranking of 1 ).
Isn't the same true of Fight Club?
Of the four films in the semi-final, three of them where made less than a decade ago, and the oldest was made in 1994. I find it quite depressing that people don't watch many films that were made before they were born. If this was a music poll, I am sure that some songs from previous decades would have gone further than the older ones in this.
Reply 495
I've voted every round so far, but I've only voted in brackets where I have seen both films in the vote from start to finish so ended up missing out on a lot.
Reply 496
I can't believe I had Forrest Gump out in Round 1. Dammit! Haha

Watch it go on to win now aswell <_<
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Mo-Amin
I can't believe I had Forrest Gump out in Round 1. Dammit! Haha

Watch it go on to win now aswell <_<

Never! LOTR: Return of The King MUST win or I will...be sad :frown:
Reply 498
Original post by sheep_go_baa
Never! LOTR: Return of The King MUST win or I will...be sad :frown:

Ahaha, I voted RotK but I predict TDK will go through :P