The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hhh123
You are incorrect.
I have actually applied for the practitioner course at Plymouth and 3/4 of the placements are not in MIU/A+E etc.

In actual fact 750 hours are on the front line of the AMBULANCE service. There can't be that many more hours left!

To me, it doesn't sound like you know your facts. So before you try and overpower other individuals it might be a good idea to carry out some thorough research!

Oh....and by the way Plymouth definitely are not considering "rejecting applicants after 800 have applied"

There will be a total of at least 1500 hours. I know at Plymouth most of the 3rd year is on MIU etc. placements however in the 1st and 2nd year its a large part ambulance.
Reply 101
Original post by Happy_Holidays
There will be a total of at least 1500 hours. I know at Plymouth most of the 3rd year is on MIU etc. placements however in the 1st and 2nd year its a large part ambulance.

But still, 3/4 of placements are not in MIU/A+E!!!
Reply 102

Do apologize, I thought it meant for all 3 years. I promise this will not happen again!
Reply 103
I've sent off my Swansea application form, does anyone know how they get back in touch with you? Is it usually via email or phone or what?
Original post by hhh123
I've sent off my Swansea application form, does anyone know how they get back in touch with you? Is it usually via email or phone or what?

They get in touch by post. Good luck.
Reply 105
They get in touch by post. Good luck.

Thanks! You go to Swansea don't you? How long did you wait until you heard anything? What month did you hear?
Original post by hhh123
Thanks! You go to Swansea don't you? How long did you wait until you heard anything? What month did you hear?

Yep I'm at Swansea. Honestly I can't remember when I heard back but I think my interview was in Feb/March and was the second to last day. Heard back after that in April/May.

I'm really not good with dates!
Reply 107
Eeeek I've started my application and starting to feel nervous.
Applying to:

Sheffield Hallam
LJM
Lancashire
Edge Hill

I only finished uni last year and i've decided I want to go back. Hopefully one of them will accept me. Experience wise I'm an A&E staff nurse and have 10 years in SJA 4 of which crewing ambulances.

How many places do these kind of courses have?

Good luck peeps :smile:
Original post by Shauny89
Eeeek I've started my application and starting to feel nervous.
Applying to:

Sheffield Hallam
LJM
Lancashire
Edge Hill

I only finished uni last year and i've decided I want to go back. Hopefully one of them will accept me. Experience wise I'm an A&E staff nurse and have 10 years in SJA 4 of which crewing ambulances.

How many places do these kind of courses have?

Good luck peeps :smile:

They all have about 20 from memory. I think the NWAS ones had slightly less than 20 this year.
For anyone who's interested I'm now a PS helper so if you want your statements checked before sending put them in the Personal Statement section and I'll check them over for you :biggrin:
Reply 110
Original post by hhh123

If your looking for more places to apply for via paper application, and not UCAS, you should also look at Birmingham City University as there setting up a Paramedic Course to start in September.
http://www.bcu.ac.uk/courses/paramedic-science
And also Worcester Uni has a course starting at the end of January 2012,
http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/Q9rFmoeAAGqEDSYwuFA8Q4YdTJ_kA-Ueyq/HAHTpage/search.HsDetails.run?n=1116871
Where else have you applied for?
Reply 111
Yep I'm at Swansea. Honestly I can't remember when I heard back but I think my interview was in Feb/March and was the second to last day. Heard back after that in April/May.

I'm really not good with dates!

What was your interview like? Was it a 2:1 or group interviews etc..
Original post by f0rbesy
What was your interview like? Was it a 2:1 or group interviews etc..

2:1 It was just a regular interview.
Reply 113
Original post by f0rbesy
If your looking for more places to apply for via paper application, and not UCAS, you should also look at Birmingham City University as there setting up a Paramedic Course to start in September.
http://www.bcu.ac.uk/courses/paramedic-science
And also Worcester Uni has a course starting at the end of January 2012,
http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/Q9rFmoeAAGqEDSYwuFA8Q4YdTJ_kA-Ueyq/HAHTpage/search.HsDetails.run?n=1116871
Where else have you applied for?

Hello :smile:
I have already applied to Birmingham City University alongside Swansea.

I am sending my UCAS tomorrow for definite! I'm applying to:
Plymouth
Brighton
Coventry
Worcester
UWE

Fingers crossed! -_-
Where are you applying?
Reply 114
Original post by hhh123
Hello :smile:
I have already applied to Birmingham City University alongside Swansea.

I am sending my UCAS tomorrow for definite! I'm applying to:
Plymouth
Brighton
Coventry
Worcester
UWE

Fingers crossed! -_-
Where are you applying?

BCU and Swansea which should be sent off next week.
Sent my ucas off last week and I'm applying to;
Coventry
Northampton
SHU
Staffordshire
UCLAN

Also doing CFR and St Johns

Now playing the waiting game to see what happens!
Original post by f0rbesy
Well if you know the difference then you should know that the course content not at all the same. Example Practitioner spend 3/4 of their practical time in MIU, A&E, Hospital wards etc... as Practitioner are able to prescribe medication and so need the experience. Generally these uni courses are over a 3 year period, such as the UoP course.
While Paramedics do not have the authority to prescribe patients medication without first taking them to see a GP.

Hope this helps you!

Paramedic practitioners cannot Prescribe, they may have access to different Medications via PGD but this is definitely NOT prescribing.

ALL Doctors and Dentists are independent prescribers, Some Nurses , Midwives and Pharmacists are also independent prescribers. The only way a Paramedic can be an independent prescriber is to have current registration as both a Paramedic and registration as one of the aforementioned professionals with independent prescriber status.

Only some Paramedic practitioner schemes work across settings, unfortunately Emergency Care practitioner has been almost universally poorly implemented and consequently many PPs and ECPs are just an expensive RRV or do little more than any paramedic might do in a frontloaded service delivery model.

While there are pre-reg programmes which claim to qualify you as a PP i doubt many graduates from these courses will get PP jobs until they have at least 2 or 3 years on the road as an 'ordinary' para
Original post by f0rbesy
Did you not read the link? How is that incorrect information?
And I'm sorry was just posting what I heard from people on the course!

Happy Holidays is correct see my previous post.

the NHS careers material is PR stuff not statements of fact.

Paramedics cannot Prescribe there is no legal means for them to be able to do so, they can administer drugs in their specific legal exemption and schedule 7 drugs, they can administer other drugs on the basis of Patient Group Directives or similar practice guidelines ( as some medication may not strictly require a PGD and consequently the full PGD process is not necessarily required)
Reply 117
So nervous waiting for some replies from unis!
People who applied last year, when did you start getting interviews etc?
You'll be waiting a while.
Hi everyone, I'm starting my applications to study Paramedic Science/Practice soon - any advice?

I'm currently in my third year at Uni of Worcester studying Outdoor Adventure Leadership & Management BSc but am looking to start in 2012 to train as a Paramedic.

I'm applying to Swansea and Sheffield as (to my knowledge) they are the only funded courses and I can't afford to pay my own tuition fees and I wouldn't qualify for a Student Loan.

Does anyone have any tips for applying with these Universities in particular?

Thanks!
Holly

Latest