The Student Room Group

fluteflute's bumper thread of Oxford admissions statistics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by fluteflute
I've put together a spreadsheet with admission stats broken down by college based on a Freedom of Information request. Originally posted about it in the 2012 applicants thread but I wanted a wider range of people to be able to see it.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Asg7Ze9sc7PfdERINU5BSjJXdVN1dEs5eVl2cFVyaWc&hl=en_GB#gid=0

I would strongly advise people against making a college choice because they're trying to play the numbers. I imagine the differences in this spreadsheet are mostly to do with the different subjects offered by colleges, and how many good students apply to which colleges.

However there are some vaguely interesting facts in all those columns. For example Column D shows the percentage of applications to that college that were originally open applications. This is one indicator of popularity. Another similarly interesting column is Column O, which is the percentage of applicants to a college and got an Oxford offer, who got a place at that college. For Worcester it's only 50%, Magdalen is 55%, Brasenose 60% and Balliol 64%. Contrastingly for Harris Manchester and PPHs you see 100% meaning that no-one who applied there got an offer from another college.

As for the overall success rate of applicants in Column I (if you don't care too much which college you'll get into) it seems your best chances are gained by applying to a PPH (29% of applicants get in), New College (27%) or Magdalen (26%). On the other hand, only 14% got in! Of course the figures here and in Column J (and perhaps the whole spreadsheet) are skewed by the relative quality of the people that decide to apply to a college, so aren't particularly conclusive!

Anyway, just some stats for you to play with. Once more: don't make decisions based on this. Apply where you want for any rational reason (or make an open application) because Oxford tries incredibly hard to make the admissions procedure fair, wherever you apply.

hi I cant get the link to open; it says google requires that you give me permission. am i doing something wrong. thx
Reply 21
Yeah same, I can't see it either...
What is the percentage for brasenose?
Yeah, I was able to see it and now it won't let me, even though I have a Google account.
i can't see it either :s-smilie: bummer
Reply 24
Original post by basydney
hi I cant get the link to open; it says google requires that you give me permission. am i doing something wrong. thx
Original post by Nerdy03
Yeah same, I can't see it either...
What is the percentage for brasenose?
Original post by la-dauphine
Yeah, I was able to see it and now it won't let me, even though I have a Google account.
Original post by doloroushazy
i can't see it either :s-smilie: bummer
Sorry, Google Docs was being silly... hopefully you can all see it now?
so i've applied to one of the most oversubscribed colleges of the entire university. aw crap....
(brasenose btw)
Reply 26
Original post by mariejulian

so i've applied to one of the most oversubscribed colleges of the entire university. aw crap....
(brasenose btw)
Ah you'll be fine: 19% of applicants who apply there get into Oxford... that's incredibly close to the university average of 20% :smile:
as far as i can tell (and i'm not very good at reading spreadsheets...) wadham doesn't look tooo bad. i'd still hve applied for it anyway.
Reply 28

as far as i can tell (and i'm not very good at reading spreadsheets...) wadham doesn't look tooo bad. i'd still hve applied for it anyway.

21% of Wadham applicants get into Oxford (compared to 20% across all colleges) and 75% of people who get in get into Wadham (bang on the average across colleges). Basically: it's average :biggrin: (which is good).
Reply 29
(brasenose btw)

Hey which subject have you applied for?:smile:
Yeah it's over 400% oversubscribed!! :eek:
So whats the deal on PPH acceptance rates?
Original post by Nerdy03
Hey which subject have you applied for?:smile:
Yeah it's over 400% oversubscribed!! :eek:

Classical Archeology and Ancient History :biggrin:
I only applied to Brasenose because it's the only college that I managed to see on the open days but I really liked it all the same, and I didn't want to be applying to one I hadn't seen :smile:
(brasenose btw)

lol same
Reply 33
Yeah I loved brasenose too when I saw it... Applying for PPE :biggrin:
Reply 34
oo If i had read this before, I wouldnt have applied to Worcester or Brasenose
I'm a rare breed who got accepted into oxford twice hehe and at those 2 colleges

Brasenose is a lovely college btw, I highly recommend it and it will be even better when they finish the construction in Easter ^^
Reply 35
Original post by Captain Darling
So whats the deal on PPH acceptance rates?
It's true that 36% is a significantly higher success rate than the university average (23%).

My guess would be that this is due to the limited subjects offered: for example Theology has a 41% success rate!
Yes but interestingly Regents Park offers my course
Reply 37
Do these statistics count the people that applied to exeter, got in but ended up in a different college. Pooling is up to 20% in some subjects.
So, I got an offer from a more oversubscribed college than the one I applied for...cool.
Reply 39
Original post by diddums

Original post by diddums
Do these statistics count the people that applied to exeter, got in but ended up in a different college. Pooling is up to 20% in some subjects.

Yeah, that's columns P-S on the spreadsheet :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending