The Student Room Group

Circumcise me?

I watched a program tonight on BBC3 about circumcisions (male) and it's really opened my eyes. Basically the evidence presented pointed towards the conclusion that they aren't medically necessary or more sexually gratifying, but are really at best a way to conform and at worst systematic mutilation. So I just wanted to gather opinions on the whole thing. If you are male, are you circumcised or not, and are you happy with the way you are? What do people think they'll decide for their children?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As far as I was aware, non-medical circumcision was not done in the UK - at least not on the NHS.

I got the snip when I was quite old due to a tight foreskin which was rather uncomfortable when engaged in getting some. Can't say it's done me any harm.
Reply 2
naelse
I watched a program tonight on BBC3 about circumcisions (male) and it's really opened my eyes. Basically the evidence presented pointed towards the conclusion that they aren't medically necessary or more sexually gratifying, but are really at best a way to conform and at worst systematic mutilation. So I just wanted to gather opinions on the whole thing. If you are male, are you circumcised or not, and are you happy with the way you are? What do people think they'll decide for their children?

ahhhh!!!!!! i could never let someone chop my baby's pee pee!!!!!! :eek:
Reply 3
LibertineNorth
As far as I was aware, non-medical circumcision was not done in the UK - at least not on the NHS.
Yes private circumcision does exist for those with religous convictions, that is Jews and Muslims, which require circumcision.
Reply 4
i saw the programme too...part of it was outlined that in the case of islam there is no religious reason for it, but was a stamp of acceptance in the religion.
Reply 5
bikerx23
i saw the programme too...part of it was outlined that in the case of islam there is no religious reason for it, but was a stamp of acceptance in the religion.
In reality they are one and the same thing.
Reply 6
rubbish.
Reply 7
The thing is, until about a year ago, I had never experienced an uncircumcised penis, and I didn't really know what to do with them... so my initial reaction to peter's was confusion, which he took as disgust :frown:
Reply 8
ah...so this is something you related to more personally?

since i'm a straight male, i cant comment from a personal perspective, but i find that my foreskin can be extremely sensitive, and taught around the crown (apparently that is more specifically me than non-circumcised males though) so as a result needs to be treated gently when handled - but i have heard that is the same with many exes exes who weren't cut...
Reply 9
Hmm, I am, but only because I had to for medical reasons. It looks just lovely :rolleyes: but I don't see why anyone would choose to do it out of preference, seems a bit silly to me...
Reply 10
Well I don't notice much difference now that I'm used to it, other than the actual mechanics of certain acts... I feel kind of foolish now for reacting in the way I did. Not that I refused to sleep with him or anything- but I probably made it out to be a bigger deal than it actually is. But if it is a kind of tribal mark as the program suggests, is that such a bad thing? I mean people could call ear piercing unecessary mutilation, and I for one didn't have a choice about that, just like most circumcised boys didn't have a choice. It was just standard practice where I grew up- all the boys were circumcised and all the girls had their ears pierced shortly after birth. There are so many things that people do or have done for fashion or tradition, is this much worse? I'm not comparing the two, honest, just trying to think it through...
Reply 11
its like a gang tattoo just less visible - i didn't see the whole programme, so am unsure if it addressed it, but did it cover the situation in africa.etc., since i had heard claims that circumcision can reduce possibility of catching stds....
i think circumcision is unfair since there is no choice if performed at a young age and is irreversible, whereas ear piercing leaves a less permanant mark...but, since some people claim its religious i would let the get on with it because they get all hoity-toity if you try to mess with their culture...

atleast there was some comedy when the french guy claimed he liked a cheesey uncut knob....
Reply 12
LibertineNorth

I got the snip when I was quite old due to a tight foreskin which was rather uncomfortable when engaged in getting some. Can't say it's done me any harm.
how much pain were you in after the operation? :smile:
ferrus
Yes private circumcision does exist for those with religous convictions, that is Jews and Muslims, which require circumcision.

I don't mean to be picky, well, actually, I do. I just don't think using "require" is right. I mean it is only required if there is a medical reason behind it.
Reply 14
shauniemac
I don't mean to be picky, well, actually, I do. I just don't think using "require" is right. I mean it is only required if there is a medical reason behind it.
Yes... but it is an issue of morality, certainly for Jews.

--------------

Beekeeper
but I don't see why anyone would choose to do it out of preference, seems a bit silly to me...
Typical pseudo-science
Your body, your choice...

Doing it to kids on the other hand... hmm!!
naelse

You needed a TV show to tell you that?
Its more than obvious its just mutilation!
Totally not necessary... I'll put it in the same box as female circumcision, totally wrong and sick if I'm totally honest.

(unless for constrictive med reasons)

What makes it worse, is when erect the end of the penis because the middle of the penis... so having it done can't be all that good.

--------------

Flukey
how much pain were you in after the operation? :smile:

yeah I'd like to know that, I'd imagine it to be really uncomftable as well because when you get your foreskin not rolled down properly and your 'peehole' rubs on something its really itchey and uncomfterable.
shauniemac

WHAT?! thats not true. all jews and muslims REqUIRE circumcision its part of their faith!

in islam, it is not possible for someone to be muslim if they haven't had the snip!

half the islamic faith is based on cleanliness. i believe there is more chances of diseases and dirt developing in the area if not done. (this is WHY its done)

--------------

El Scotto

What makes it worse, is when erect the end of the penis because the middle of the penis... so having it done can't be all that good.

WHAT?! not true! is yours cut? exactly, you don't know! its not chopped in half or something!
Reply 18
El Scotto

You needed a TV show to tell you that?
Its more than obvious its just mutilation!
Totally not necessary... I'll put it in the same box as female circumcision, totally wrong and sick if I'm totally honest.

(unless for constrictive med reasons)

rubbish! there is absolutely nothing wrong with getting circumsised. Your opinions are ludicrous and far out of proportion.

And i'll think you'll find if you read into it, it is medically SAFE and therefore yes it can be 'all that good'
linguist786

WHAT?! not true! is yours cut? exactly, you don't know! its not chopped in half or something!

Its not rubbish... Mine isnt cut, and I know that when I'm in love making mode, the foreskin becomes the middle....

Latest