The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
sim90
ouch!!!!!
it must hurt a lot right???

it didnt hurt me at all.
admittedly, u may need a day or two for recovery. although i remember i was playing football the very next day, being careful not to let the ball hit me there..
Firebird
By scar, I mean the line that's slightly lighter than the rest.
Where? I don't have one of these "lines"..

Firebird
Anyway lack of foreskin makes masturbating more difficult,
Since when? I'm sorry but where on earth did you pull that one from?

:confused: If female circumcision is mutilation, why isn't male circumcision mutilation? :confused:
They're different by definition. For male circumcision to be equivalent the glans (entire head) of the penis would have to be removed.

--------------

naelse
ie penile cancer etc etc. They found the risk to be negligible.
If taken on board with other points I don't think any medical experts will say it's not adavantageous to have be circumcised. But in most cases they will say it is not necessary, on medical grounds. Thus it is down to the parents choice, as is EVERYTHING to do with their child is at that age..
Reply 42
I am 17, and got circumcised this summer for medical reasons - it is actually sometimes necessary when the foreskin is too tight.

Having spent months worrying myself sick about July 28th, I woke up to wonder what the hell all the fuss was about. I felt no pain at all, at most a little bit of normal itchiness where the dissolvable stitches were, and it healed fine. You can see where the scar is but only because my skin is darker (my dad's Indian, mum's English). It's much cleaner, I haven't lost any of the sensitivity (it's possibly even greater now) and no, masturbation and sex aren't any more difficult. In fact I think it was totally healed, stitches dissolved, and I'd got used to the sensitivity of it after about ten days.

I don't see a point in arbitrary circumcision at birth, but I certainly wouldn't advise anyone against it if it was a choice they wanted to make. I was very apprehensive but now that it's over with I'm extremely pleased I did it.

And I don't miss my foreskin one bit! :biggrin:
Reply 43
I think my circumsized manhood looks much better since it does not have a useless peiece of annoying piece of skin at the end of my manhood.
Reply 44
Firebird
By scar, I mean the line that's slightly lighter than the rest.

Isn't it supposed to be the foreskin being pulled back and forward that is the pleasurable thing? Anyway lack of foreskin makes masturbating more difficult, and therefore less pleasurable perhaps? - Obviously only people who've been circumcised in later life will know this answer though.

:confused: If female circumcision is mutilation, why isn't male circumcision mutilation? :confused:

Edit: When I said "It's a bit weird" I meant the whole circumcision idea. I'm not insulting anyone's genitalia!
Because female genitalia involve gouging out the clitoris. Not the same as removing uneeded skin.

The head of the penis feels the pleasure so when it rubs back and forward against whatever it's shagging, there's your pleasure! Yes, masturbating is more difficult but not incredibly more difficult.

--------------

Danfel, when you say Newcastle-ish where do you mean? :smile:
Reply 45
I don't know much about this, being a girl and all, but as I see it isn't it just something that's there even though it's not really needed? Like an appendix?

Does it have any kind of evolutionary purpose, anyway?
Reply 46
Helenia
Female circumcision is a LOT different from male. Males don't get parts of their anatomy sewn up using thorns, to be forced open (often using a knife) on their wedding night. Even if you're just removing the clitoral hood, it's still much more damaging, and more frequently done badly and in unsafe conditions. Even if done surgically, it reduces their sexual function far far more than male circumcision does.

You are basing your argument on the incorrect labelling of such practices as "circumcision", and not on the severity of the procedure. Males have been ritually subjected to mutilation of an equal and/or greater magnitude, right up to removal of the entire genitals.

The only direct analogue of surgically performed male circumcision is surgically performed female circumcision, of the hood only. You don't back up your statement of this being "far far worse", but I fail to see how this would be the case - it is even occasionally done as a corrective procedure (in my opinion the only valid reason for circumcision of either sex) for women whose natural form inhibits their sexual function.
Reply 47
Everdawn
ahhhh!!!!!! i could never let someone chop my baby's pee pee!!!!!! :eek:

ahahahahaha
Reply 48
Anonymous
You are basing your argument on the incorrect labelling of such practices as "circumcision", and not on the severity of the procedure. Males have been ritually subjected to mutilation of an equal and/or greater magnitude, right up to removal of the entire genitals.

The only direct analogue of surgically performed male circumcision is surgically performed female circumcision, of the hood only. You don't back up your statement of this being "far far worse", but I fail to see how this would be the case - it is even occasionally done as a corrective procedure (in my opinion the only valid reason for circumcision of either sex) for women whose natural form inhibits their sexual function.

I'm not quite sure why you're posting anonymously for that one. The practice of female circumcision itself is indeed incorrectly named - perhaps that's why it's less condemned than it ought to be.

I wasn't aware that female circumcision was occasionally done for medical reasons, but is this anywhere near as common for medical need for male circumcisions?
Reply 49
Firebird
Hmm, ok, circumcision is incorrectly labeled then. Female "circumcision" is just plain wrong.

It's harder for girls to do it. I think my boyfriend was disappointed when we first got together, but I was like "well, you're missing a necessary part of your penis for all my techniques"!

I really object to it on the fact that it's an unnecessary operation and it's such a random choice. You don't need your earlobes, why not cut those off instead? Does anyone have any historical facts on why certain religions decided to cut bits off their babies' penises?

My theory on this is that back in the olden days when this first started it was genereally in the hotter countries (where judaism and islam etc started) and hygiene was not something very easy because you dont exactly have running water etc... So by having male circumcision its just more hygienic and stops the spread of disease/infections.

Obviously in this day and age its no longer necessary really.

Thats just what I think I'm not trying to pass it off as fact or anything :rolleyes:
Reply 50
OK, normal male circumcision is a medical procedure, largely believed to be beneficial or whatever.

Female 'circumcision' as it is so called, is nasty nasty mutilation because women need all their bits - there's nothing optional down there, it's all necessary stuff.

Slight difference!
Reply 51
Zoecb
OK, normal male circumcision is a medical procedure, largely believed to be beneficial or whatever.

Female 'circumcision' as it is so called, is nasty nasty mutilation because women need all their bits - there's nothing optional down there, it's all necessary stuff.

Slight difference!

I'm sure they argue that the outer labia and clitoris are optional.

I am anti male circumcision unless for medial reasons (or if an adult willingly consents to it)
Reply 52
Everybody on here appears to think that backing stuff up with religion makes it an ok thing to do, fair enough, but then people go onto say that circumcising women is wrong - yet this actually has more of a religious argument than male circumcision, so make up your mind, either butchering all members of a religions genitals or none!

I think there is very little point in being circumcised apart from medical reasons. Im sure that over millions of years men evolved foreskin for a reason, it probably keeps out disease that is alien to the body and stuff like sweat, semen and piss are natural things to have there. If these people believe in God so much then they must believe that God invented soap and water to wash with aswell.

These men are circumcised under religions which claim that it is for cleanliness and is a part of their culture - strange how its also part of their culture to grow their hair long and to not wash it something which must be up there right next to washing your knob in terms of cleanliness, how can religion be something to hide behind when deciding to mess around with something men hold dear?
Elipsis
If these people believe in God so much then they must believe that God invented soap and water to wash with aswell.

Most of these people also believe we were created in the image of god, so why they think it should be altered at birth I don't know.
Reply 54
Golden Maverick
Most of these people also believe we were created in the image of god, so why they think it should be altered at birth I don't know.

Obviously their all powerfull Gods devine creation wasnt perfect enough:cool:.
Reply 55
As far as I know, in Islam its for hygiene issues. I'm not saying this is relevant any more in modern society but it probably was all those years ago.
Reply 56
There is alot of proof that one who had a cirmusions have a virtually zero chance of having penile cancer
Reply 57
londonguy
There is alot of proof that one who had a cirmusions have a virtually zero chance of having penile cancer

Mate if this was true we would all be getting circumcised as a form of vacination against penis cancer.
Reply 58
Circumcision certainly reduces the chance of medical problems in the future. Like I said, I was circumcised as it was too tight - apparently this is a pretty common thing (incidently, no it didn't hurt getting it done, but it was pretty inconvenient and slightly uncomfortable for the next couple of days) - there's one medical procedure that could've been avoided.

I'm still not sure whether I agree on it being ritually performed on children though...
Has advantages.

Has disadvantages.

Your choice!

Note: your

But being non-essential - should not be on the NHS unless for medical need.

Fin

Latest