The Student Room Group

St. Andrews Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by gh70
Any graduates received an offer yet?

I've been keeping an eye out too and as far as I can tell it's been all gap-year/school applicants! Hopefully they're sorting us grads out today!
Original post by wannabemedstudent
Hi i am wondering did any reapplicants get offers this year? i was dissappointed to be rejected this year :frown: i don't know whether i should apply again next year , because in an email they sent me they said

''...We realise that many candidates will be very disappointed. With regard to whether you should reapply next year, we would advise you that we look favourably on applicants who have fulfilled all aspects of our entry requirements at the time of their first application.... ''

does this mean i'm very unlikely to be accepted next year? i only have predicted grades this year so i was hoping if i applied next year with my grades i might have a better chance , but now i'm not sure? :/ :'(

P.S i did get an interview

Yes, I am a reapplicant, and I know of a fair few others that have offers too.

Okay, you've misinterpreted the email :tongue: What they mean by that is they prefer it if you achieve the required grades by the end of this year. They don't like applicants who achieve say AAB and then bump the B up to an A in their gap year. It's a very stupid way of putting it. Just tell me if that makes no sense :tongue:

It's also a fact that St Andrews give a higher academic score for achieved grades, so I would definitely consider applying again. If you like St Andrews, there really is no disadvantage to applying there again. Please feel free to ask me any questions about it :biggrin:
Any A990 (Medicine for Canadian) applicants got an offer?
Reply 1383
Has anyone heard anything today? This wait is actually killing me :frown:
how did those with offers find out??....was it via email or ucas track straight?
Reply 1385
Are you a first time applicant like me MillsB?
I have been checking my emails frantically today but haven't heard anything! :L
I wouldn't worry though :smile:
Reply 1386
Original post by Nick526

Hey Nick, I'm a first time applicant and am also frantically checking my emails :-)
Reply 1387
Original post by Mero8
Hey Nick, I'm a first time applicant and am also frantically checking my emails :-)

It's great fun isn't :P Hopefully we will hear tomorrow :smile:
Reply 1388
Original post by Nick526
It's great fun isn't :P Hopefully we will hear tomorrow :smile:

Hah yeah, or today :colone: Best of luck to you :smile:
Reply 1389
Original post by Sheikh {/} Nykaa
how did those with offers find out??....was it via email or ucas track straight?

When track updates you automatically get an email stating that something has changed so both. I also got an email from the uni today.
Original post by Braddd
When track updates you automatically get an email stating that something has changed so both. I also got an email from the uni today.

thanks! and well donee!! :smile:
My sanity is rapidly fading from the stress of the wait...
Reply 1392
Original post by Nick526

I am :smile: and I keep checking my emails!!!!
Please post here/tell me as soon as your hear :smile: I kept checking around 1.45/2pm but nothing :frown: Its so horrid!!!
And aha I know my mom keeps saying not to worry but I think I've made here as stressed as I am :s-smilie:
What I do is I set my expectations really, really, really low ... that way if something bad happens, I'm prepared for it, and if something good happens, no matter how small, I'd be over the moon with joy! :biggrin:

In other words, I'M GONNA GET A REJECTION!! But whatever. :wink:
Reply 1394
Got an unconditional today!!!!!!!!! So unbelievably happy, can't quite believe it! 2nd time lucky :biggrin:

Good luck to everyone still waiting!
Congratulations!! :biggrin:

I always feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside when I see people getting offers. It makes me happy that at least somebody is making it, if not me. :smile:
Reply 1396
Original post by CatAA
Got an unconditional today!!!!!!!!! So unbelievably happy, can't quite believe it! 2nd time lucky :biggrin:

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

At what time did you get email!?! Not sure if trolling...congrats if you are not!
Original post by j.rose
hey everyone, this is my first post on this thread as i fully was not expecting an offer from st andrews, but received my unconditional yesterday so i've been excitedly looking into it a lot more. i also got an offer from peninsula which i had my heart set on for about 2 years, but the more i think about my decision, the more i'm drawn to st andrews.

can i ask a few questions? i'm sorry if they've already been discussed a while back on this thread. firstly, does every student go on to phase 2? it might be a really stupid question, but on the website it says they have around 400 undergrads for medicine each year..i thought the number was closer to 200? and i'm sure it says on their website that they only have 50 places for the manchester route and 55 for the scottish route?

secondly, maybe aimed more at current students, has it been known for anyone to swap from their specified route? admissions told me that in the second year there may be the opportunity to swap if there in a space, and you do well enough in your first year exams. has this ever been done? i put down manchester but i didn't look into the scottish options enough and now i'm wishing i went for the scottish route.

sorry for the massive post, and well done on everyone's offers!

Hiya :smile: Well done :smile: Two very different universities and courses. Peninsula is breaking up right? Which campus were you assigned? Main question is PBL course or not?

Yes EVERY student goes onto phase 2 I believe. It said somewhere you're guarenteed a place at either Manchester or Scotland (whatever they assign you). I think the 400 figure refers to all the students in the school at one time (i.e. three year groups)? Not too sure but guessing as per year there are (someone can clarify exactly) between 150-170 students including internationals too I think?

Can't answer last question although I think I've heard it is possible if you find someone else to swap with but generally people stick with what they get.
Reply 1398
Does anyone know if its likely all of the offers have been given out now, or not? :-)
conditional offer, woooo!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending