The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Liam_G
Strüberry, I'm sure you're going to be a pillar of strength for us all throughout this turbulent time :yep:

I want to get started on revision too :sad:

I haven't updated my other thread about the Sixth form situation, because I don't want people to worry about me :colondollar: But it's still not looking very good.

My Head of year hasn't returned my Mum's calls or texts... And my sister (who is a year younger than me) said that in the Sixth Form assembly, she said that everyone in my year was going to University :confused: I think she thinks that I just had a little wobble, and that she managed to knock some sense into me. I don't think she's realised that I've put serious thought into it.

I finally told all my friends about all the trouble I've been having, they were quite shocked, and one of them agreed to come down to school with me and try to get something sorted. We went to see my Maths teacher and he said that my head of year hadn't talked with him at all, despite what she told me... He also said that he wasn't sure if it was the right decision (reiterating what others have said about fees), but that if I went through with it, he'd still be willing to teach me :woo: He also said that if, worst case scenario, I'm not allowed back into Sixth form and have to apply as an external candidate, he'd still teach me on the side and supply me with resources.

I'm really annoyed with my English teacher. I came in from work a few days ago and found a letter from my school, so I got all excited thinking that it was a reply about whether I could go back, I was wrong. It was actually a letter from my English teacher saying that she wants to use my exam paper (the one I did badly on and want to resit) as an example for other students :cry2: So not only has she told my Head of year that I shouldn't be allowed back, that I can't do any better, and that she doesn't want to teach me, but now she also wants to use an exam that she knows I'm not happy about to show other students how wrong it all went for me.

I thought it was bad enough when she accused me of plagiarizing entire pieces of coursework, but this felt just plain rude.

Hi, sorry to butt in like this..but I would also like to give you a piece of advice. :tongue:
I also tried enrolling back into my sixth form, but they said that I could only re-enrol if I come back as a full-time student, so that includes the tutorials/assemblies/all the lessons. I really really can't put up with that for a whole year and they don't let me do all my exams in January, they said I have to break it up and do the normal - do one in January, one in June. I realised that if I go back to school, it really is going depress me!

So, now I just need to confirm tomorrow with the college letting me as an external candidate, which is so much better imo. I get to make my own timetable, revise thoroughly, get a job, get my driving done and incorporate a lot more things in my timetable, like going cycling everyday around 12ish and going to guitar classes.

Trust me, you don't need your sixth form even though your maths teacher is really good. A levels, at the end of the day, is just self-study and especially for a subject like maths which can very easily be self-taught. You could ask on TSR with any problem you have, as for resources, nearly every resource is available on TSR. I mean, when I did a C2 maths retake, all I had was those 'Revise C2' book which I went through myself, that's the only resource I used and got 90/100. (Although, AS is a lot easier, but still)

It's possible! I really really suggest you leave your sixth form and give yourself a go. Trust me, attending all the lessons at your school will be a waste, a lot of the times you'll be wanting to do it yourself. As for the exam fees, trying phoning up colleges, at first I couldn't find anywhere that do external candidates! and this was in London...then I finally found a college, that charge me about £40 - 45 per unit/exam which is hell of a lot cheaper than this independent college I looked at, costing up to £120 per unit.

All you have to do is: type in google, "Colleges in X" and find a website like this that will give you the list of colleges in your area: http://www.londoncolleges.com
and then call up every college and ask whether they allow external candidates.

Also, even though I'll be an external candidate, my school is still willing to do my UCAS form for me and my head of sixth form said you can pop round sometimes if you need help on a particular thing. You've got resources on excess and that's just with use of the internet. Also, if you can still login into your school portal, quickly download all the resources uploaded on the school intranet and keep them. Or alternatively, just ask the school, I'm sure they'll give you the resources.

So, for a subject like maths, revise the content up till mid October and then just keep doing practice papers and looking at the mark scheme. The only key to maths is practice papers! in timed conditions...and papers are getting weirder these days with the same questions but in a different format, so you just need to practice practice practice!

, but I hope this puts you slightly at ease, that you don't need your sixth form to succeed.

P.S. I know your situation probably sucks atm, with a teacher accusing you of plagiarising as well..but all of our situations have been unfortunate and sucked this year, so we have to make sure we get in this year! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 381
Original post by Phenylethylamine_

Thanks a lot Phenylethylamine :hugs:

One of the things putting me off is the fact that I'm from a small town, which only has one Sixth form center... All the other centers are quite a few miles away. Just hearing that you had trouble finding one in London is getting me a little worried. And if I do go to another center, I'm not sure if my original Sixth Form would be willing to do my UCAS for me, it sounds a bit cheeky to ask...

When I had a meeting with my head of year and the head of admissions, she said that the idea of my applying as an external candidate is 'ludicrous' :colondollar: She wasn't very nice about it... So I'm starting to doubt if I could do it alone.

:sigh: I have too much to think about.
Reply 382
Hi everyone :smile: I'm also resitting and reapplying and I was told by a friend (who did the same thing last year) that if you don't certificate the grades you don't have to put down them down, and in that case you can put your A2 grades as "pending".
Can any one else confirm this? :biggrin:
Original post by Liam_G
Thanks a lot Phenylethylamine :hugs:

One of the things putting me off is the fact that I'm from a small town, which only has one Sixth form center... All the other centers are quite a few miles away. Just hearing that you had trouble finding one in London is getting me a little worried. And if I do go to another center, I'm not sure if my original Sixth Form would be willing to do my UCAS for me, it sounds a bit cheeky to ask...

When I had a meeting with my head of year and the head of admissions, she said that the idea of my applying as an external candidate is 'ludicrous' :colondollar: She wasn't very nice about it... So I'm starting to doubt if I could do it alone.

:sigh: I have too much to think about.

No problem! :cool: After all, we're going to have to motivate and help ourselves on here since everyone will be gone soon...

Ahh okay, but have you had a good look? Mine is a couple of miles away too, it's in Surrey which is in the outskirts of London. Anyways, you'll only be going to take the exam there, you don't need to go there regularly. Hmm..it's not cheeky at all! Haha, my sixth form volunteered themselves! I didn't even ask. So, give it a shot.
Wow, your school seems strict :/ My sixth form was actually suggesting to me that if I didn't want to enrol as a full-time student at school, I should look for places elsewhere where they accept external candidates. Don't worry!! It's not ludicrous at all, I thought that too because it will be the first time in so many years, I've actually 'diverged' away from my school. But, my sister just told me, it's nothing bad or anything, being an external student is just another option. So, don't get scared what your school is saying! In fact, nearly everyone on this thread is hoping to be an external candidate. It's much easier.

In all seriousness though, you don't have much time to think! Unfortunately, you're going to have to make this decision quick, before you know it, September will be over too and then we have only three months to revise.

Start searching for colleges! If you need any help, I could search some for you? Just tell me your area? It's just, I know how you're feeling! I've felt powerless and helpless so many times in this whole process...
(edited 12 years ago)
Hey guys..I've emailed a couple of universities for Biomedical Science/Biochemistry/Medical biochemistry etc if anyone is interested. These are the ones I've contacted so far:

I'm still waiting for some replies, but these are the ones I've got so far...

Cardiff -
Southampton -
Nottingham -
Birmingham - Will accept resit candidates but the offer might reflect on the fact that you're taking an extra year. I.e. they will issue higher entry requirements
Durham - Response via email:
Hello
We are happy to accept applications from students taking resits to achieve our standard offer requriements. After all it shows commitment to study! Our offer requirement is AAB at A level for anyone regardless of whether it is for a "first sit" or "resit".
Kind regards
Gillian

So s'all good for Durham, just contact the department you're interested in though!

Newcastle -
UCL -
Sheffield -
Leeds -
Surrey -
King's - They do accept resit students but your application may not be taken as competitively compared to students who have completed their a levels within two years.

[Although, for King's, I know a boy in my year who retook his year 13, so was in my year and applied for Maths at KCL and got in this year. So it's possible]
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 385

There just seems to be so much stuff going wrong at the moment that I don't want to force myself into a situation that's even worse. It seems like there's a lot of things to consider when applying as an external candidate... I don't really understand how I'd do it, or what would happen to my UCAS application, or who wold write that thing for me (the name of which I can't currently remember).

It seems a lot more stressful to go into a completely foreign situation than to stick with a familiar one... although I guess the opposite could also be true in some respects.

My Mum's pretty angry at my Sixth form right now, they haven't been returning her calls or texts, and they made me feel awful the last time I went in. I don't know why they're being so strict, they've let plenty of people come back for another year, but they have a problem with me coming back for some reason, despite the fact that I've "never been any trouble before". I think they just can't get their heads around the idea of me giving up a University place, but I don't want to go there, simple as. I don't want to spend three years of my life there and I don't want to have to go down and find my own accommodation with any students who'll take me because they didn't offer me student accommodation. I know I have a good shot at getting into a University I'd be a lot more passionate about, and although the fee increase is unfortunate, it's not the end of the world. Thousands of other applicants have to put up with it as well, and in some ways, the repayments are actually a lot more forgiving.

They just can't seem to understand that. I think they're trying to ignore the problem until it goes away, but I don't like being pushed into a situation I'm not happy about. I think they're being quite unprofessional really. I'd love to go elsewhere, do it on my own and prove them wrong, but that shouldn't be my only option. I'm quite angry with them right now. Especially with my English teacher :angry:

Thanks for helping by the way :colondollar:
x

Liam, what do you mean you need your schools help to do your UCAS? YOU'RE APPLYING AS AN INDEPENDENT APPLICANT FOR GOD'S SAKE!!! Take off your shackles. You're a free man. (I hope):u:

All you need is a reference from an adult that has known you in an academic capacity for a while. That's it! You don't need your English teacher or your headmistress or your tutor. Heck, even your Maths teacher can do it for you. Just go ask one of the nicer teachers that see you as a good kid. That's what I did. Look, I've done it before and it really isn't as scary or as horrible as you think it is. We have a tendency to overthnk and overblow the smallest things at times like these. I went through the whole process for the first time last year at my first year of uni and I know the UCAS cycle as an independent applicant INSIDE OUT. If divvy mares like me can do it almost entirely alone, then of course you can do it. Don't worry about moving into an unfamiliar situation - that's what this thread is for and we'll help you with your application and fears. This is our very own e-tutor room, damn it! :tongue:

Rough process (feel free to ask me questions)

- Click Apply 2012 and register as "independent" - this means that you do not need a buzzword or a school.
- Fill out details as you did for Apply 2011
- Enter exam centre
- Enter predicted grades in this style --> June 2011 English 'C' and January 2012 'Pending'
- For reference section: nominate a referee and enter their details (e.g relationship to student, years known)
- UCAS will send an e-mail to said referee asking for permission for their details to be used
- Very kind referee says yes and copy&pastes reference in
- Pay UCAS fee
- Click send
- Rejoice

This could all be done in 3 days maximum and the best thing is that you do not need that poxy school at all. YOUR SIXTH FORM IS PERSONA NON GRATA FROM NOW ON.
Okay coool, will do that first thing tomorrow morning! Ahh, you're brilliant xD You really do motivate me!! I'm actually quite excited to start my revision, just waiting for my textbooks to arrive in the post :smile: I ordered them from Amazon, cba to get them from school, I'll have to pay a deposit etc. Well done for the start on revision! :wink:

Did you get everything sorted out with the exams office then at your school? :rolleyes:

Well, I talked to my exams officer and he's asked me to come to his office tomorrow so I'm thinking my resits are organised for the time being. Fingers crossed anyway. Now I'm thinking on finishing off my PS and straightening some of the weaknesses from last year as well as revision.

Have you started college then? :smile:

Original post by Pheebs1201
Thank you that really cheered me up :biggrin:

So what were you thinking of? Kinda curious :tongue:
Reply 388
Original post by qwerty13
Hi everyone :smile: I'm also resitting and reapplying and I was told by a friend (who did the same thing last year) that if you don't certificate the grades you don't have to put down them down, and in that case you can put your A2 grades as "pending".
Can any one else confirm this? :biggrin:

How do you certificate them??? :s-smilie:
Reply 389
Original post by Strüberry
About reapplying?

There's always space at our 2012 table! :dancing2:

Spoiler

I think you've become leader of this thread. :ninja:
Reply 390
Hey guys..I've emailed a couple of universities for Biomedical Science/Biochemistry/Medical biochemistry etc if anyone is interested. These are the ones I've contacted so far:

I'm still waiting for some replies, but these are the ones I've got so far...

Cardiff -
Southampton -
Nottingham -
Birmingham - Will accept resit candidates but the offer might reflect on the fact that you're taking an extra year. I.e. they will issue higher entry requirements
Hello
We are happy to accept applications from students taking resits to achieve our standard offer requriements. After all it shows commitment to study! Our offer requirement is AAB at A level for anyone regardless of whether it is for a "first sit" or "resit".
Kind regards
Gillian

So s'all good for Durham, just contact the department you're interested in though!

Newcastle -
UCL -
Sheffield -
Leeds -
Surrey -
King's - They do accept resit students but your application may not be taken as competitively compared to students who have completed their a levels within two years.

[Although, for King's, I know a boy in my year who retook his year 13, so was in my year and applied for Maths at KCL and got in this year. So it's possible]

What exams are you retaking out of interest?
Reply 391
Liam, what do you mean you need your schools help to do your UCAS? YOU'RE APPLYING AS AN INDEPENDENT APPLICANT FOR GOD'S SAKE!!! Take off your shackles. You're a free man. (I hope):u:

- Click Apply 2012 and register as "independent" - this means that you do not need a buzzword or a school.
- Enter exam centre
- Enter predicted grades in this style --> June 2011 English 'C' and January 2012 'Pending'
- For reference section: nominate a referee and enter their details (e.g relationship to student, years known)
- UCAS will send an e-mail to said referee asking for permission for their details to be used
- Pay UCAS fee
- Click send
- Rejoice

Do I have to put down my AS grades as well, or are the AS grades superseded by those gained at A2?

I only ask because I imagine that it would probably be beneficial to my application if I could put down all of my grades :colondollar:

I got A+B in AS Philosophy/Ethics, and then B+B at A2, which rounds to a B...

And in AS English I got A+C, and then A+E at A2 which rounded to a C.

I was just wondering :smile:

Oh, and although I seem to say it in every single post which I quote you, thanks for the help Strü :love:

I'm still waiting for some replies, but these are the ones I've got so far...got lots of responses this evening!

Cardiff - Accept resits and don't increase their offer
Southampton -
Nottingham - They accept resit students and don't increase their offer, they keep it the same
Hello
Kind regards
Gillian

Newcastle -
UCL - Their standard offer is AAA with a C or higher in your fourth AS level - they don't increase their offer

Sheffield - The department of Biomedical Science accepts resits as long as they
are taken within 1 year of the original exams.

The required grades are still the same, AAB.

Leeds -
Surrey -

[Although, for King's, I know a boy in my year who retook his year 13, so was in my year and applied for Maths at KCL and got in this year. So it's possible

All you need is a reference from an adult that has known you in an academic capacity for a while. That's it! You don't need your English teacher or your headmistress or your tutor. Heck, even your Maths teacher can do it for you. Just go ask one of the nicer teachers that see you as a good kid. That's what I did. Look, I've done it before and it really isn't as scary or as horrible as you think it is. We have a tendency to overthnk and overblow the smallest things at times like these. I went through the whole process for the first time last year at my first year of uni and I know the UCAS cycle as an independent applicant INSIDE OUT. If divvy mares like me can do it almost entirely alone, then of course you can do it. Don't worry about moving into an unfamiliar situation - that's what this thread is for and we'll help you with your application and fears. This is our very own e-tutor room, damn it! :tongue:

- Enter exam centre
- Pay UCAS fee
- Click send
- Rejoice

This could all be done in 3 days maximum and the best thing is that you do not need that poxy school at all. YOUR SIXTH FORM IS PERSONA NON GRATA FROM NOW ON.

Liam, I very much agree with her! She's talking from experience xD :biggrin:
Thanks for the steps btw, this is what I was going to ask next! You're a life saver xD
Original post by cwd12
What exams are you retaking out of interest?

S2, C3, C4, Unit 4 chemistry (OCR A), Unit 5 chemistry (OCR A), hoping to bump grades to A*A*B :wink:

What about you?
Reply 395
Hi people, i got BBB in my a-levels and nottingham was my firm with ABC, they didn't let me in, awful I know. I went through clearing and got a place at kent which I was happy with, yet up until friday i was waiting for info regarding accommodation, I was told I had a good chance because I went through clearing on 19th, yet this wasn't the case and i din't get halls. I would not have minded so much if the had not told me a week before I'm due to go. It has been incredibly hard to find a place to stay in an area I do not know at all! I am from Leeds, Yorkshire, so kent is like over 200 miles away. This is only the story in a nutshell, with other factors causing problems, I feel let down by the uni and have been in a very unstable /vulnerable position for 3 weeks. I am considering a gap year, but I dunno if it is worth it becaus eI do have a place at uni, yet this whole situation has been a nightmare. I would just like some advice/guidance/find out if anyone has been in a similar position. If i take a gap year I would resit and try apply next year for somewhere else, but i dunno what to do :/
Original post by Liam_G
Do I have to put down my AS grades as well, or are the AS grades superseded by those gained at A2?

I only ask because I imagine that it would probably be beneficial to my application if I could put down all of my grades :colondollar:

I got A+B in AS Philosophy/Ethics, and then B+B at A2, which rounds to a B...

And in AS English I got A+C, and then A+E at A2 which rounded to a C.

I was just wondering :smile:

Oh, and although I seem to say it in every single post which I quote you, thanks for the help Strü :love:

Yeah, you should include all your grades. The way I see it (and the admissions' tutors) is that this exam was a complete and utter fluke seeing as you had gotten two As and a C before and then an E out of nowhere. So do enter them, especially the module grades if they were high enough. Demonstrates a continued aptitude for your subject + the fact that you had a nightmare day quite well imo.

You're welcome!

Liam, I very much agree with her! She's talking from experience xD :biggrin:
Thanks for the steps btw, this is what I was going to ask next! You're a life saver xD

Lol, no problem. :colone:

Original post by jesssalt
x

Well, do you actually want to go to your current place? Some people have been in your position yep, just look back through the thread and you'll see some good advice. Basically what it comes down to is this:

Will you be happy at your current place?
Can you cope with learning off-campus?
Is this currently worth the lower fees?
Is the alternative worth the higher fees?
Can you achieve more and do better this year?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Milky Milk
I think everyone should 'introduce' themselves in the thread!

Why are you resitting the year:
What course are you applying for:
What universities do you have in mind:
What else (other than study) do you plan to do on your year off:

Why are you resitting the year: Missed my offer by 1 UMS mark, hoping to bump a C grade to an A grade!
What course are you applying for: Marketing
What universities do you have in mind: LANCASTER, Durham so far
What else (other than study) do you plan to do on your year off: Travel, Get better at French and Swedish, Cook, Shop, Work, Save, Raid IKEA, Get fit.

:ahee:
I expect this thread to be completely deserted around December/January time :wink:

Why are you resitting the year:
I'm not resitting the year (not an option for me) but I am reapplying to do a course with a foundation year.

What course are you applying for:
I want to do Social Science/Combined Studies/History (integrated) with a foundation year (then once I do well in the foundation degree I want to progress onto a Politics/International Relations/History and Politics course)

What universities do you have in mind:
Bradford, Leeds, Goldsmiths, Middlesex so far

What else (other than study) do you plan to do on your year off:
In no particular order, these are the things I wanna do, but I don't if I will do them all:

EARN - most important - I want to have a job - and save up
Learn to drive - really need to get my provision, been meaning to for a while
Work experience - loads
Write some articles for an online mag whenever I have the time
Start going to the gym, and going regularly
Reapply for uni

That's all for now.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 398
Yeah, you should include all your grades. The way I see it (and the admissions' tutors) is that this exam was a complete and utter fluke seeing as you had gotten two As and a C before and then an E out of nowhere. So do enter them, especially the module grades if they were high enough. Demonstrates a continued aptitude for your subject + the fact that you had a nightmare day quite well imo.

Well, the C grade in my AS English was one mark off a B, but I think it'd look a bit silly if I just put the module marks down for one unit.

It was a complete nightmare day :sadnod: Genuinely gutted about it. Even if I only managed to get a D grade I'd have been happy, because my overall mark would have been a B :sigh:

I'm quite happy with my ABBB in Philosophy/Ethics because the A was in my Philosophy unit, and that's what I'm applying for :smile: I'm a little worried about putting my Maths grades down though.
Original post by belle-a
Hi guys. I'm on a gap year too. Struggling to keep myself sane when not working. Any suggestions.

Sign up to some job websites and keep on searching, and call up places for work experience.

Latest